Menu

Which toys to keep toddler busy so we can get some work done?

I know the usual toys - puzzles, blocks, finger paints, big crayons - problem is DD1 is not interested in these and continually raids DD6 toys while we are schooling (her room is next to school room). She especially likes the fiddly small Miss Pocket or beads that end up in her mouth and are a bit hazardous. I want to make her her own baskets with things she can do only during school hours that will keep her busy and not necessarily need a lot of input from me/us. Any ideas? And I was thinking of maybe investigating the Montessori options available since they are educational - anyone used any of these in an HS setting?

When I really need some time, I pull out the giant bin of Little People. That keeps my one year old going for a while. Also, I look the other way when she's happily engaged in coloring all over herself with markers. We have a fairly safe and fenced backyard, so I let her run around out there. She's pretty good buddies with the three year old, too, for which I am grateful.

When I really need some time, I pull out the giant bin of Little People. That keeps my one year old going for a while. Also, I look the other way when she's happily engaged in coloring all over herself with markers. We have a fairly safe and fenced backyard, so I let her run around out there. She's pretty good buddies with the three year old, too, for which I am grateful.

That sounds like a good option! (The bin of little people - not the marker bit :)) Where would I get these Little People? I checked Amazon and there's nothing with that description.

ETA I am probably being a bit dense - are you talking about the Fisher Price Little People range?

Edited by Dubaibokkie

Water.....

I used to set up a beach towel with a little dish bin and toy dishes on the floor of the school room. My dd (now 8) would "wash" dishes all morning. Sometimes she would bathe a baby doll. She would get wet, and I'd have to change her clothes, but she loved to change clothes, so that was good, too. :)

We also had these "markers" called Aquadoodle. I would fill them with water and she could "draw" on this special pad on the floor. The water would turn the pad blue. Then we would hang it to dry, and she'd do it again the next morning. The Aquadoodle pad was about 3'x2' so it took her some time to draw on the whole thing.

That sounds like a good option! (The bin of little people - not the marker bit :)) Where would I get these Little People? I checked Amazon and there's nothing with that description.

ETA I am probably being a bit dense - are you talking about the Fisher Price Little People range?

Yes, Fisher Price Little People. :001_smile: we've collected a lot over the years. I bet you could find assortments of them on eBay.

Leah Claire will be two next month. She's all about the sorting. Right now she's sitting at her wee Ikea table next to me, sorting pompoms with big tweezers into an egg carton. She's happy as a clam. She really likes puzzles and these pegs: http://www.amazon.com/Lauri-Toys-Deluxe-Tall-Stacker-Pegboard/dp/B000F8TANU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345563684&sr=8-2&keywords=lauri+pegs

Water.....

I used to set up a beach towel with a little dish bin and toy dishes on the floor of the school room. My dd (now 8) would "wash" dishes all morning. Sometimes she would bathe a baby doll. She would get wet, and I'd have to change her clothes, but she loved to change clothes, so that was good, too. :)

We also had these "markers" called Aquadoodle. I would fill them with water and she could "draw" on this special pad on the floor. The water would turn the pad blue. Then we would hang it to dry, and she'd do it again the next morning. The Aquadoodle pad was about 3'x2' so it took her some time to draw on the whole thing.

:iagree:

When dd was a toddler and I simply had to give my attention to ds for school, I'd push a chair up to the kitchen sink, filled it with dish soap bubbles and gave her some spatulas and a bowl. Kept her busy for a very long time.

Although since we school at the kitchen table, I could keep an eye on her. I wouldn't recommend that unless you can see your toddler the entire time in case they fall in or something. :)

What about some big, chunky wooden beads? I have a set of these, or something similar and my youngest loves to string them on shoelaces.

Stickers are a huge hit here too. I bought a bunch of them in bulk from Oriental Trading and she'll literally spend an hour peeling stickers and sticking them to paper. I know it sounds wasteful, but I figure it's fine-motor stuff for her and it's time I can get stuff done with my older kids :D Those sparkly, foam stickers you can buy in canisters in the craft dept at Wal-Mart/Michael's/Joann's are a big hit too--just be warned that the little paper backs get messy on the floor, but nothing that can't be quickly swept up.

My kids love to glue anything to paper--puffballs, googly eyes. You can buy little spring-loaded safety scissors and let her go crazy cutting paper (another mess to sweep up, but it's a good trade-off for me :001_smile:).

Crayola now makes washable dry erase markers. You can buy them in a set with a small white board, if you think something like that might interest her.

Also, Confessions of a Homeschooler has a really cute letter of the week curriculum. You can download it HERE for $10 (or it's free if you want to download each letter individually). She has all kinds of fun little things to print-out. I made some lacing activities and some folder games with it. Here is the letter C week to give you an idea.