Menu

Laptop recommendations?

I am so bummed that I am going to need a new laptop soon. I've been nursing my current one along, even though it is only 1 1/2 years old. :glare: But now it is starting to suddenly turn off at times and I noticed that the left mouse button is not working half the time. I feel like I just moved over everything from my old laptop! Grrr...

Anyway, looking at reviews is really depressing because it seems like every laptop has bad reviews. Usually the editor reviews are good, but the user reviews are mixed good/bad. The current laptop I have (Samsung) had good user reviews, but has had a lot of problems. I don't want to buy another laptop that gives me so much trouble!

The only laptops that seem to have consistent positive reviews are macs, which are expensive and also don't always run everything.

I don't need that much - I usually use excel, word, photoshop, email. I'm not a big gamer, though I sometimes use Adobe Flash. Mostly I want something that doesn't have any issues for a few years. :tongue_smilie: Any advice?

Well, first, is your laptop overheating? And if so, have you had it cleaned out? We have a laptop that shuts down when it gets too hot. I took my laptop in last week because it was starting to get hot in one spot underneath and they blew it out. Said it was very, very dusty and it's not gotten hot since then. Yay! Mine's just over a year old.

That said, I almost always purchase from Dell. I can't recall a lemon that we've gotten from them. The family computer is probably 3 years old now and still running (although some of the keys are stuck and it's the one that shuts down sometimes; it needs to be cleaned out). My laptop is the one we've had for a year and I've had no issues with it beyond the needing a good dusting out. I don't need a lot of fancy stuff, just a goodly amount of memory for the price.

Edited by milovaný

Overheating is definitely one of the problems. I have it sitting on a laptop fan thingy right now and that has helped a lot. Cleaning out the dust is a great idea!

Another issue I am having is that the battery only lasts maybe a half an hour now. I usually leave it plugged in (maybe I did that too much?). Our new music/piano curriculum is on DVD, so I was hoping to bring the laptop over to where the piano is. I'm not sure if it can handle it. :glare:

My previous laptop was a Dell and lasted a lot longer. It eventually just ran out of working memory and got really slow and crazy. I told dh maybe I would buy a Dell next time and he said Dell isn't very popular anymore? He thinks I should buy a Mac, but I really don't want to go there.

I love my Mac. I bought it refurbished and with a three year guarantee plan so that anything that happens to it besides theft is covered for three years. It did not cost a fortune - only around $900 including the three year plan. I have only found one thing that I couldn't run because I use a Mac - everything else has been seamless. I will never go back to a PC.

Macs are great. If you can afford it, go for one of those. My previous laptop was a Macbook, and that thing was amazing. Took about three seconds to boot up, ran everything perfectly, never froze up or had any problems, and it was so intuitive. Programs and files were exactly where you'd expect them to be. (Unlike with Windows... :glare:) At one point, when dd was a toddler she poured a full cup of coffee directly on top of it while it was running. I turned it to the side, and coffee poured out of the ports. I left it open for a couple of days to dry, then tried to turn it on and it started right up. Ran for a good year after that, too.

Just ignore me. But I have to say I love my new Macbook Air that arrived today. It's replacing our five year old Macbook Pro, which worked ok, but just got beat up to the point it wasn't worth fixing up. Before that we were PC people and when the Pro died I considered going back because Macs are.so.expensive. But DH was willing to replace it, so hooray for me! (We did go down to the cheaper model, though.)

DH used to have a Del for work (he now has a MacBook Pro) which seemed like a pretty reliable piece of machinery.

OK, go back to your discussion. I promise not to mention Macs anymore now that I've got that off my chest!

PC or bust! :001_smile:

PS Whatever you decide on, just ban all children under 18 from touching it. That's what did ours in. They are now free to catch whatever glimpses they can at the 27 degree angle that is required in order to view the old laptop because the side of the monitor is cracked.

My previous laptop was a Dell and lasted a lot longer. It eventually just ran out of working memory and got really slow and crazy. I told dh maybe I would buy a Dell next time and he said Dell isn't very popular anymore? He thinks I should buy a Mac, but I really don't want to go there.

Unfortunately I can't use a Mac for the work I do from home, so have to stick with a PC at least for my laptop. Hope you find something that works for you!

WEll, I've never had problems with my Macs. But, many in my family refuse to be converted, so we have tried almost every pc out there. HP and Dell rate the worst with me. Lenovo is in third for worst. We've also had brief exposures to many other brands that have been...okay, but less than stellar. Currently we are up to 3 Avio (Sony) laptops. They seem to be...GASP...as good as my lovely little Apple. (Can't believe I just said that!) One was specifically built for dd, it cost as much as my Mac. It does run best of the 3. One was ordered as is from their prepackaged bundles. Second favorite, and second in price. The third was a cheap, quick pickup from Walmart. It is also the newest, but is going quite well with destructo boy despite the hard usage he gives it.

If you possibly can, you may want to hold out for the preChristmas sales. The discounts are unbelievable.

Edited by Lolly

Dells have gone way down in quality in the last few years which has caused their drop in popularity. Not to mention their horrid customer service...:glare: