Menu

Anyone watching United Bates of America

Checking out the new show on the Bates family on TLC. Has anyone checked it out? I've sparodically watched the Duggars through the years. The first time we saw their sow I was pregnant with our first child and it was this children by the dozen segement and an episode special on the Duggars RV'ing. Anyhow, I like them but miss seeing the "old duggars", when they were not "glamed up" yet. I like the Bates family. They are an interersting family with a little flavor and I love all the fiddle music. And the kids are so cute!

I am not necessarily agreeing with their lifestyle, but they do seem like a nice family.

FWIW, I'm a long-time Duggar fan and I loved it. Among other things, the Bates are all so darn good-looking.

And I love how the doting but wary grandparents are the crazy kind of liberals who wear jeans and don't have double-digit broods of children.

I saw that show last night. I liked how one of the older boys does the grocery shopping because he finds the best deals. I liked how they chose chores and practiced restaurant behavior. I don't know. I think the producers are approaching this big family a different way. They aren't focusing as much on the religious aspects of this family even though the religion is obvious.

JimBob always strikes me as a used-car salesman, iykwim (I know that's how he got his start). The Bates dad seems more down to earth.

We ditched satellite TV so we don't get the show. I admit to not liking the Bates as much as the Duggars when they made appearances on the Duggar show. I wonder if my mind would be changed if I were to watch a show based only on them?

Is there anywhere to watch it online?

I watch it and like them! Although I really wish these shows would tell more about real life situations, not always vacations and trips. I was dying to know what they did about all the kids clothes after they got all muddy at the grandparent's house. The grandmother certainly didn't seem like she would allow everyone into the house like that, so what did they do????

I would have much preferred to grow up in either family than the childhood I had, so hey, I can't judge them!

Honestly, I would love to see a whole episode that followed the grandmother of the Bates' kids. I thought she was hysterical and very down to earth. Did you notice that the grandfather nudged her a couple of times when she was a bit outspoken? I could tell she loved them but thought having so many was just crazy. I loved her. :) I like the Bates also.

Honestly, I would love to see a whole episode that followed the grandmother of the Bates' kids. I thought she was hysterical and very down to earth. Did you notice that the grandfather nudged her a couple of times when she was a bit outspoken? I could tell she loved them but thought having so many was just crazy. I loved her. :) I like the Bates also.

I want the grandmother's true feelings:lol:. She was a hoot. I do like how the kids in the Bates can go away to college. The Duggars while I don't care them and I am waiting for the tell all book, come across as sold out. One thing I didn't get was why they had the baby there in the hospital. If the baby is not sick or being born, keep the baby home. Using a bottle in these type of cases I don't think even the most extreme breast feeding advocate would object.

I find the show incredibly boring and I like the Duggar's show. I'd be more interested in how they run the house, shop, cook, buy clothes (btw...what happened to those prairie dresses they used to where) all the things we can't imagine doing with that many children. I know the Duggars have shown that but surely the Bates don't do it the exact same way.

Last night's episode had them showing how they get the children involved in laundry, dividing up chores for the whole family and one of their older sons going grocery shopping by himself for the famiy and then bringing home the groceries and everyone pitching in to help put them away. They also had the children practice how to behave when they go out for dinner or out in public and I thought what a great idea. I mean, it seems so logical but I've never tried that. I might have talk before hand about how to behave briefly but mostly I just cross my fingers and hope they aren't too bad. Their kids behaved better than our and we only have 3 :tongue_smilie:! I truely like both families and have actually gleamed some good parenting ideas from them both on occasion.

My DD 13 and I looooove big family reality TV. I didn't know there was a new series but we'll definitely watching. But as another poster said I really despise how some of these shows focus around trips, vacations, and not every day life. Remember the corny voiceover in some of the early duggar shows? I couldn't stand that either.

I find the show incredibly boring and I like the Duggar's show. I'd be more interested in how they run the house, shop, cook, buy clothes (btw...what happened to those prairie dresses they used to where) all the things we can't imagine doing with that many children. I know the Duggars have shown that but surely the Bates don't do it the exact same way.

I think the prairie dresses they used to wear were sewn by one of the older girls, so my guess is that as she got more sophisticated and learned to sew from a pattern her choices got more sophisticated too.

I think maybe they have more life, and somewhat more sophistication than the Duggars.

Edited by Katy

I want the grandmother's true feelings:lol:. She was a hoot. I do like how the kids in the Bates can go away to college. The Duggars while I don't care them and I am waiting for the tell all book, come across as sold out. One thing I didn't get was why they had the baby there in the hospital. If the baby is not sick or being born, keep the baby home. Using a bottle in these type of cases I don't think even the most extreme breast feeding advocate would object.

I would have taken my baby. I don't it's really a big deal.

I don't have cable, so I am only able to watch clips on my computer. The thing that struck me the most was the mother giving the newborn baby a bottle.

Sue me. I don't get it. She has a million other children to watch the littles. Put your feet up, whip it out. ;) Not that I particularly care if she has/wants to give the baby formula, but that was my first, and pretty much only, thought about the family. I had never heard of them.

Edited by LibraryLover

I don't have cable, so I am only able to watch clips on my computer. The thing that struck me the most was the mother giving the newborn baby a bottle.

Sue me. I don't get it. She has a million other children to watch the littles. Put your feet up, whip it out. ;) Not that I particularly care if she has/wants to give the baby formula, but that my my first, and pretty much only thought about the family. I had never heard of them.

It is common for moms in this...mindset?...to not breastfeed or only breastfeed short term because they do not want to inhibit their fertility. The *goal* is having lots of babies. Having lots of babies isn't a side effect of their beliefs, like it is for some people.

It is common for moms in this...mindset?...to not breastfeed or only breastfeed short term because they do not want to inhibit their fertility. The *goal* is having lots of babies. Having lots of babies isn't a side effect of their beliefs, like it is for some people.

That's a good way to put it. Much more succinct than how I've been explaining the notion, so thanks!

I was thinking of the Catholic and Mormon families I knew in my youth who believed in no BC and big families. They had much smaller families than Gothard's people seem to strive for; the biggest family I knew had 10 children. I guess that's the difference. They took the babies as they came, as opposed to ambitiously making babies come faster, so their children were naturally spaced a little farther apart.

Not sure about the Bates family, but Mrs.Duggar nurses and still regains fertility at about 6 months post partum, which causes her to dry out and have to formula feed once pregnant. Perhaps she pumps or bootle feeds and nurses. Who knows?

I got my first periods with both of my children when they were only 16 weeks old, and both times I was going through the marathon nursing phase were they nurse non stop, day and night. I was still doing night feedings and feeding on demand. They were sling babies. I go on b/c with my first right after period scare, and with the second after my 6 week post partum exam to be safe :), knowing then I could get pregnant again so soon.

When I got pregnant with ds, I had my iud removed and got pregnant on the first try. My dd was 16 months old and still nursing, so I actually had to wean her pregnant!

Breast feeding does not work as effective birth control for everyone! Well, at least not for me, but I suppose I am an exception.

Breast feeding does not work as effective birth control for everyone! Well, at least not for me, but I suppose I am an exception.

I am not suggesting that it is fool-proof. It isn't. A breastfeeding mom's fertility is more likely to return if mom supplements (bottles, cereal, baby food, table food, whatever), offers a pacifier, baby sleeps through the nightand/or mom is carrying extra weight.

I was still breast feeding when I got pregnant with my second and third, but in both cases the baby (toddler) slept through the night and a majority of their food was from table food at that point.

All of that is beside the point-some of these women purposely do not breastfeed or wean early in order to become fertile faster.

I am not suggesting that it is fool-proof. It isn't. A breastfeeding mom's fertility is more likely to return if mom supplements (bottles, cereal, baby food, table food, whatever), offers a pacifier, baby sleeps through the nightand/or mom is carrying extra weight.

I was still breast feeding when I got pregnant with my second and third, but in both cases the baby (toddler) slept through the night and a majority of their food was from table food at that point.

All of that is beside the point-some of these women purposely do not breastfeed or wean early in order to become fertile faster.

I regained my fertility quickly as well. I never considered bfing a good birth control method for me, although all of my child co-slept and were sling babies. The bold doesn't strike me as 'natural', or part of God's (or nature's ) plan. If bfing can help some/majority of women space children a bit, you figure God/nature has a heart, and perhaps a reason. Why intentionally over-ride a bit of a god-given (to the Bates etc) break?

Edited by LibraryLover

Michelle Duggar shared in the book that breastfeeding is very important to her and she gets her fertility back right away, regardless. I did find it interesting to see the Bates' giving their newborn a bottle. Not judging, just had me scratching my head. The Bates definitely seem more competition minded.

I really don't know what I would do if I got my period back right away, seeing as to how we have tried to trust God with the # of children we have. I could potentially have 3 or 4 more at this point. That is scary to me. My fertility stays away until baby sleeps through, and that doesn't usually happen until closer to a year, so my closest spacing is 16 months and my average is 19 months.

I watched an episode and I can honestly say that they aren't nearly as creepy and squicky as the Duggars.

So weird b/c I feel kinda the opposite, though I haven't seen an entire show yet. I like them okay, but I *might* like the Duggars better. Tonight one of the Bates' boys showed his grammar skills off by giving an excellent example of the word aint (I probably misspelled it. :lol:) used in a sentence.

Sue me. I don't get it. She has a million other children to watch the littles. Put your feet up, whip it out. ;) Not that I particularly care if she has/wants to give the baby formula, but that was my first, and pretty much only, thought about the family. I had never heard of them.

I've always felt, when it comes to qf, "god opens and closes the womb" types that you don't *really* mean that if you do things that hasten fertility such as bottle feed, use pacifiers, sleep train, don't share sleep, etc.

Sorry, evidence suggests you *do* take an active role in creating more babies.

I've always felt, when it comes to qf, "god opens and closes the womb" types that you don't *really* mean that if you do things that hasten fertility such as bottle feed, use pacifiers, sleep train, don't share sleep, etc.

Sorry, evidence suggests you *do* take an active role in creating more babies.

:iagree:

I just thought I would give her the benefit of the doubt and imagine maybe she still nursed. When I nursed I would mostly nurse, but dh would give him a bottle when I had classes in the evenings 2 nights a week and occasionally when I wanted a break.

However, in practice, quiverfull is, by my understanding, trusting the Lord to choose how many children you'll have, and not seek to prevent pregnancy, nor to seek fertility treatment to become pregnant. So, not nursing would seem like a gray area. If she chooses to bottle feed to get pregnant sooner, it would seem like taking fertility in your own hands. Personally, I would, if choosing the quiverfull lifestyle, would hope to space my kids a bit further out with bf'ing. I have read (and off the top of my head I don't know) that in countries where women breast feed through toddlerhood, and access to bc is limited, children are typically naturally spaced 18 months to 3 years apart with the most typical spacing being 2.5 years apart.

I am not, however, quiverfull, do not attend a church with quiverfull families, or know any, so my only knowledge of them is what I see on tv, ie, Duggars, Bates, and Juebs.

I would love a big family, but my finances limit that. I wouldn't want more kids than we could reasonably not only provide for, but parent and give attention to, so in my mind, and this is for me, not everyone, and so not directed as a criticism of larger families, 4-8, would be as many as I could see myself having, and not right on top of each other.

I currently have 2 biological children and a stepson we have joint custody of. To some, we already are a big family. It's funny, but anything more than 2 is seen as a big family nowadays.

Edited by lea_lpz

I really like the Bates family much better than the Duggars. Jim Bob gives me some weird creepy vibe. The Bates seem to be actively involved in their children lives and know each one of them well. They promote higher education and pursing dreams even for the girls.

I can't help it, they just seem like a nice family. It is not a lifestyle that would work for me but it is gratifying to see a mega-family actively involved and knowing their children.

Michelle Duggar shared in the book that breastfeeding is very important to her and she gets her fertility back right away, regardless. I did find it interesting to see the Bates' giving their newborn a bottle. Not judging, just had me scratching my head. The Bates definitely seem more competition minded.

I really don't know what I would do if I got my period back right away, seeing as to how we have tried to trust God with the # of children we have. I could potentially have 3 or 4 more at this point. That is scary to me. My fertility stays away until baby sleeps through, and that doesn't usually happen until closer to a year, so my closest spacing is 16 months and my average is 19 months.

I didn't see the show. Is it possible though she didn't feel comfy nursing on television so she had some bottles pumped for that?

However, in practice, quiverfull is, by my understanding, trusting the Lord to choose how many children you'll have, and not seek to prevent pregnancy, nor to seek fertility treatment to become pregnant.

That's it in theory. In practice, I have seen fertility treatments, natural fertility enhancement (whether those work or not, who knows?,) medication, and the like. It does indeed become about the numbers from what I have seen IRL. That's when you go from God's plan for each individual family to legalism: the rule is that all must have as many as possible any way they can.

I didn't see the show. Is it possible though she didn't feel comfy nursing on television so she had some bottles pumped for that?

I was thinking the same thing. I personally wasn't squimish or all that modest about nursing in front of people, but a lot of people are and will leave to another room or whatever in front of people. Would I be comfortable doing it on tv. Idk, but probably not. But I wouldn't want my family on tv. Very occasionally ( like I can count ony hand) I would give my ds a bottle at large social gatherings so as not to have to leave the fun and continue to enjoy myself without making others uncomfortable.

Well I love them. I find the girls much spunkier than the Duggar girls and I really don't feel that they are whoring their kids out for money. That is not what the Bates or the Duggars are about. I really feel like they think can reach people's hearts with their religious convictions and devotion. Kate plus 8 was about the money all the way.

I like to watch Michelle and Kelly as much as I like to listen to Sonya Shafer speak. They are calming for me and make me come down a notch. I am not at all Christian but somehow I love to hear them speak...even about religion. Weird:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: and I find it ironic that Mrs. bates is getting called out for this because I follow the duggara closely and many many people have been put off by her nursing under the tent on tv and no matter where she is :tongue_smilie: The lesson: you can't win if you put your family on tv.

Well I love them. I find the girls much spunkier than the Duggar girls and I really don't feel that they are whoring their kids out for money. That is not what the Bates or the Duggars are about. I really feel like they think can reach people's hearts with their religious convictions and devotion. Kate plus 8 was about the money all the way.

:iagree:

Yes, they are doing a reality show, but I do not feel they compromise their family values. I feel they stay true to their moral values. When on the show something looks a little questionable it is generally TLC's lens that presents it that way.

With John and Kate +8 you can see how it really became all about the money. While both the Bates and Duggers do make money through the show it seems like they would stop the show if it compromised their family values.

I also like to see both moms and hear them discuss parenting tips. I have gotten valuable parenting tips that I have used from both Mrs Duggar and Mrs. Bates.

I like to watch Michelle and Kelly as much as I like to listen to Sonya Shafer speak. They are calming for me and make me come down a notch. I am not at all Christian but somehow I love to hear them speak...even about religion. Weird:tongue_smilie:

I thought I was the only one who feels that way about Sonya Shafer. :lol:

My period returns 6 weeks post partum like clockwork despite marathon nursing, no pacifiers etc..
And here I am having never nursed at night, babies slept at night at just a few months, I'm only pumping twice/day and nothing is happening as far as my cycle returning! I have to fully wean for things to get going again! Crazy how different women's bodies are! What's really crazy is that most of the women I know IRL who get their cycle back immediately don't want another pregnancy soon if at all yet the ones who would love to get pg quickly don't get their cycle back (like me). Someone has a sense of humor. :glare:

And here I am having never nursed at night, babies slept at night at just a few months, I'm only pumping twice/day and nothing is happening as far as my cycle returning! I have to fully wean for things to get going again! Crazy how different women's bodies are! What's really crazy is that most of the women I know IRL who get their cycle back immediately don't want another pregnancy soon if at all yet the ones who would love to get pg quickly don't get their cycle back (like me). Someone has a sense of humor. :glare:

Agree! I was so surprised when I got my first period after having my first child. She was still nursing about 3 times during night. I had not gone on bc yet, but thankfully did not get pregnant. I would likely have a baby a year. My grandmother did (6 in 6) and she breast feed her kids pregnant. My other grandmother had 12 kids and they were all about 2 to 2.5 years apart. She breastfeed for birth control. Had her last child at 48. All healthy without any handicaps and all homebirthrd. Everyone's different. My cousins wife didn't get a period until her children were fully weaned at 15 months.