Menu

Do any of you use a Kindle?

• 2 months later...

Nope, I just *want* one. I travel quite a bit... last year's winter trip included an entire rubbermaid tub full of books. Can you imagine having all of those in your handbag? Sigh. A neighbor has one and loves it, but I have not gotten my paws on one yet. Gotta pay off a few other things first ;).

Tony and I have been talking about this recently. I haven't seen one but Tony sat beside a guy with one on a plane in July. We've read and researched as much as we can and, I suppose, we are in the contemplating mode now. We've tossed out the idea of buying each other one for Christmas. I'm concerned my love for holding the book and turning the pages would result in me tossing it in a drawer. There are so many at-the-time-wonderful electronics in there now. ;)

I'd love it if someone did have some experience with it here. Anyone? :)

DH loves his Sony e-reader thingamajig; he carries it everywhere with him in a little hemp shoulder bag. The Kindle is too bulky for his taste. There's supposed to be a new model of Sony e-reader coming out with a touchscreen.

We have the Sony e-Readers at the BX, so I've actually seen, touched, played a little. I REALLY want one. Books mean extra weightj when moving. Plus so much has to be ordered and then shipped. And the shipping always seems to include SO much extra, unneeded packing material! So we're looking at a way to cut down on a lot of things like that. This would slove many issues. Plus our library is only "okay".

I don't really know what the difference between the Kindle and the Sony e-Reader is, other than about $200 I think.

I'd love to here some pros and cons of both.

I have one. Or rather, had one. My husband got me one for our anniversary in June. I found that I prefer real books, so now my husband is using it. He loves it - in fact he is reading more now than he has in years! It is handy for him because he gets the Wall Street Journal on it and we don't have all the newspaper floating around. He travels a lot and it is just handy and lightweight.

I, on the other hand, am an old stick-in-the-mud who has to have a real book in my hand. I may write notes in the margins and I always turn corners on the pages to mark my place (bookmarks do not work - little kids have a way of taking them out of my books and playing with them). I also like to take my glasses off to read and hold the book about one inch from my nose.

~Dana

I have one. Or rather, had one. My husband got me one for our anniversary in June. I found that I prefer real books, so now my husband is using it. He loves it - in fact he is reading more now than he has in years! It is handy for him because he gets the Wall Street Journal on it and we don't have all the newspaper floating around. He travels a lot and it is just handy and lightweight.

I, on the other hand, am an old stick-in-the-mud who has to have a real book in my hand. I may write notes in the margins and I always turn corners on the pages to mark my place (bookmarks do not work - little kids have a way of taking them out of my books and playing with them). I also like to take my glasses off to read and hold the book about one inch from my nose.

~Dana

Does the Kindle allow you to highlight texts or make notes somehow?

DH has one and really wants me to ditch traditional books to embrace the greener book version. It has definite benefits to it:

1. All books in one location.

2. $9.99 per book, some $2.99 for older books.

3. Dictionary attached, convenient for reading.

4. Background enables reading in sunlight with no glare.

ETA: Can book mark and highlight text. May use multiple book marks for multiple readers. Can share books with 5(??) Kindles.

Disadvantages:

1. Book selection extensive, but does not include all genres.

2. All books in one location (bad if you misplace Kindle!).

3. Back/forward buttons in awkward position. Hopefully G2 version will correct flaw.

4. Short battery life.

I will eventually move to Kindle, but it will take an adjustment. Something so wonderful about the new book smell, a beautiful book jacket, and a thick concrete binding to embrace while reading. It's a new sensation.

Edited by Tracey in TX

DH has one and really wants me to ditch traditional books to embrace the greener book version. It has definite benefits to it:

1. All books in one location.

2. $9.99 per book, some $2.99 for older books.

3. Dictionary attached, convenient for reading.

4. Background enables reading in sunlight with no glare.

ETA: Can book mark and highlight text. May use multiple book marks for multiple readers. Can share books with 5(??) Kindles.

Disadvantages:

1. Book selection extensive, but does not include all genres.

2. All books in one location (bad if you misplace Kindle!).

3. Back/forward buttons in awkward position. Hopefully G2 version will correct flaw.

4. Short battery life.

I will eventually move to Kindle, but it will take an adjustment. Something so wonderful about the new book smell, a beautiful book jacket, and a thick concrete binding to embrace while reading. It's a new sensation.

I am nearly sold with the dictionary feature!

Does the Kindle allow you to highlight texts or make notes somehow?

I read a lot of reviews for both. I know at least one of them allows highlighting, but I can't remember which one. The one review that I read was from a college student. He was using it to buy college text much cheaper. He did complain that while the idea is great, it's not practical for highlighting things like a college text book. It just doesn't have the memory to highlight as much as you normally do in books like that. I'm pretty sure that was a Kindle review (but again, not 100% postive). That reviewer was very upset because after buying the Kindle, and then the e-text, he had to go and also buy the actual book to make studying/highlighting possible for himself.

So yes, you can highlight, but apparently it depends on HOW much you want to highlight. So like most things, YMMV.

Hope that helps!

I have a kindle. I loooove it. There are some books you can't get, mostly newer YA books (and kids books, which I buy anyway). Many older classics are free through project gutenburg and manybooks.net (I like the second better because they actually publish in kindle format). If you get a book from project gutenburg, you don't get the title page correct, the table of contents correctly, etc. You get them, readable, but they are wonky. It's a small complaint for free (after the price of the kindle of course). From manybooks.net, it comes in properly. There are other places to get free books, but I haven't tried them. Amazon even offers free books from time to time but they are mostly things I woldn't want.

I have also transfered knitting patterns from pdf to the kindle using mobi reader. It has worked properly twice and not at all once. Amazon specifically states that kindle can't "read" (I guess) pdf files, so I was pretty happy at being able to do it.

The thing that I found I had to get used to was the refresh of the screen when I "turned" a page. It blinks. It has to to change the characters and that bugged me. Now I'm used to it but I didn't like it at first.

I saw one in Target and it looked great with a great BIG price tag.:svengo:

Does anybody have one? Do you like the Kindle. Pros and cons?

I'm really drooling at the possibilities.:drool5: Having ALL your book with you all the time and being able to download a book anytime, anywhere!

My inlaws both have one---my fil got mil one for Christmas, she turned around and got one for him for his birthday six months later because she loved hers so much.

Things she has said she liked about it:

easy to read, even outside (they like to spend an hour or so in the afternoon reading together out by their pool)

can download a chapter or so of a book for free to see if you like it before you buy it

able to take a whole "stack" of books with her to the beach for a week in one small device

lots of books available

she has gotten some books that she'd already read in hardcopy because she wanted to be able to read them again without having to give up shelf space

I can't remember either of them saying they didn't like something about it.