Menu

Enjoying CPO Life Science immensely so far....

Great to hear! I am about to order my lab materials and start next week. Would love to hear more about what you like.

I think the end of section reviws are great..they are not too hard at all, provide a gentle but thorough review. I love the incorporation of mathematics into the program. While i love the skills sheets, we havent done much of them as i cannot locate the answer keys, so right now it is mostly labs and end of chapter reviews. Labs (we have only done two) are clear, clarify the reading, and allow the student to practice scientific methodology.

I bought all my stuff through hst and carolina biological and it came to under 90. We did have some supplies already.

I'm glad you are enjoying it!

We added extra dissections toward the end, so we are still finishing the book.

Have you had a chance to look at the book recommendations? Dd enjoyed many of those. Microbe Hunters was one she particularly enjoyed.

I need to get my materials list ready for CPO Earth.

Not yet, as we just started school. But we are going to the library this week and we will definitely pick up a few for the reading bin!

Last year we used these additional books:

Cells and Cell Functions, Carol Ballard

Evolution Revolution: From Darwin to DNA, Robert Winston

One Beetle Too Many, Kathryn Lasky (wordy picture bio)

Tree of Life: The Incredible Biodiversity of Life on Earth, Rochelle Strauss

And these Bill Nye videos:

Food Web

Climates

Germs

Genes

Evolution

Biodiversity

We skipped the last unit (human body). She spent a lot more time on genetics, evolution, and plants. One of her Science Olympiad events last year was Forestry----basically identifying trees from specimens and answering questions about botany. She and her partner took fourth place in the state competition :D

have you lined this up with BFSU?

I didn't 'line it up' but I looked at the BFSU topics and the CPO topics. When there was an overlap in in the 3-5 book I did the BFSU projects as well as the CPO. We did the BFSU work on mapping last year (cabbages were involved) and it went really well

I am doing the same with chemistry. It doesn't go super smoothly. Sometimes I end up subbing only the BFSU discussion points for lecture (or whatever) that comes with whatever program we are using. Often the projects or experiments are very similar but the discussion is different.

I also don't always agree with Nebel. For example, I don't avoid discussion of atoms with my second grader. He's heard of them already and it seems silly to not discuss them as part of science. Atoms and molecules are sort of part of modern conversation.

So, it is not difficult to have whatever science I am using informed by Nebel. I just need more..something. I can't put my finger on it. BFSU always seems amorphus to me. It seems ideal and wonderful and impossible.

DS did the flower lab today and I thought that it was a really good lab. Not too complicated, but certainly more than just a demonstration.

We are using CPO to supplement Cambridge Science Year 7 (which opens the year with botany).

FYI, we used a lily. It is an easy flower for parts ID and I found this diagram and

to go along with it.

That is great that you are enjoying it! I agree about the math & I am planning to pull out as much of the math-related content as I can manage to tie into our program.

Edited by Penguin

DS did the flower lab today and I thought that it was a really good lab. Not too complicated, but certainly more than just a demonstration.

We are using CPO to supplement Cambridge Science Year 7 (which opens the year with botany).

FYI, we used a lily. It is an easy flower for parts ID and I found this diagram and

to go along with it.

This is good to know. We put off that investigation, but we hope to go back to do it soon. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Ugh, stop! I am not listening. I'm not.

I just bought BFSU and I'm sticking with it. Not going to be tempted......

psst.....have you lined this up with BFSU?

just seeing this now. sorry for the late response. i didnt line this up with bfsu--we just alternate with bfsu when we need something more discussion-oriented.