Menu

Uber Newbie!

sherideane

Hello, I'm an Uber Newbie! I guess it goes without saying I'm overwhelmed with curriculum choices for my almost-3rd-grader. Yes... it's already Aug 20 and I still haven't decided! AAAAAH! We did virtual school last year (no choices) and B&M before that. All I know is I want to do classical, and I'm pretty sure the living books will be good for my son. He's advanced in reading, most likely "gifted", highly distractable, and INTJ. Oh, and he probably has dysgraphia, for which I'll be getting him tested. I'm sure as an INFJ, I'm making this harder than it needs to be! But whenever I look up curriculum, I feel like I'm trying to read another language. Any tips? I barely even know what to ask.

Have you read The Well Trained Mind? She lays out a plan that is pretty clear and understandable-especially if you read the summaries at the end of the sections. I would just start with something like that and then you can tweak as you go along, once you have a better idea of what will work for you.

My advice. Pick one subject. Math. Start there. Research curricula choices just on Math. Once you've figured out where you want to go with Math and get him started on that, have him read or read together a lot of books. Go to the library and have him choose fiction and not fiction on any subject you want him to read about that week.

Then, choose one more subject to research. Probably in the Language Arts. Grammar or Writing.

After that, choose another.

Eat the elephant one bite at a time.

My advice. Pick one subject. Math. Start there. Research curricula choices just on Math. Once you've figured out where you want to go with Math and get him started on that, have him read or read together a lot of books. Go to the library and have him choose fiction and not fiction on any subject you want him to read about that week.

Then, choose one more subject to research. Probably in the Language Arts. Grammar or Writing.

After that, choose another.

Eat the elephant one bite at a time.

:iagree: