Menu

OLLY users: How are you finding it after the update?

I'm not overjoyed, but it is a little better. The only update I care a lot about is a reasonably fast Assignment Calendar, and as far as I can tell, they worked on that some but definitely didn't make it anything close to fast. I notice other changes they made, and I guess some of them are nice, but the functionality of that main feature is what I really wanted improved, not a bunch of additional little nice features. That said, the addition of the ability to bump backward on the calendar is actually a really big deal to me, too--so I can imagine that other features that don't matter a lot to me might be really high on someone else's list.

I still think it's well worth the money, I just wish they would fix such an important problem.

Edited by unity

They had a second update come out the day after the original and it fixed the big issues with freezing and calendar not working. I am very happy with it. It does what I need easily enough.

I know, I think I'm completely up to date though--at least according to the "search for updates" feature.

Is anyone having trouble with the weekly view of the "Today" portion not showing weeks or not showing lessons at all, or with having to open and close the program to make any changes you made actually show up? I don't see anyone else asking about it on the forum, and I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing wrong.

I'm not overjoyed, but it is a little better. The only update I care a lot about is a reasonably fast Assignment Calendar, and as far as I can tell, they worked on that some but definitely didn't make it anything close to fast. I notice other changes they made, and I guess some of them are nice, but the functionality of that main feature is what I really wanted improved, not a bunch of additional little nice features. That said, the addition of the ability to bump backward on the calendar is actually a really big deal to me, too--so I can imagine that other features that don't matter a lot to me might be really high on someone else's list.

I still think it's well worth the money, I just wish they would fix such an important problem.

Just to make sure, have you written and told them your problems? I wrote them at one point with a bunch of feedback when I tried it, and they were very responsive. I ended up not using it only because I really wanted to go straight to the ipad and not be stuck and my desk. It was definitely good software though with a lot of potential.

The other thing you mentioned about speed may vary depending on your RAM, how much you have on your desktop, etc. Just something to check. If it's on your end, their changes won't help that. I'm running an imac that is 2 yo but has 16 GB of RAM, and don't recall Olly hanging up.

Just to make sure, have you written and told them your problems? I wrote them at one point with a bunch of feedback when I tried it, and they were very responsive. I ended up not using it only because I really wanted to go straight to the ipad and not be stuck and my desk. It was definitely good software though with a lot of potential.

The other thing you mentioned about speed may vary depending on your RAM, how much you have on your desktop, etc. Just something to check. If it's on your end, their changes won't help that. I'm running an imac that is 2 yo but has 16 GB of RAM, and don't recall Olly hanging up.

I did, and they said it was a known problem. It's definitely faster now after the update, and I didn't change anything. I'm not surprised if you didn't have problems when you were checking it out; I didn't have any problems either until the assignment calendar got very full. Even now I see differences between the children. The ones that have very full assignment calendars (many, many different resources being coordinated) are slow, but nowhere near as painfully slow as they used to be. The ones with very straightforward, lightly scheduled calendars are nice and zippy. I acknowledge that it might be somewhat my problem, but I'm using a machine that's hardly ancient, and this is the ONLY program that I have this problem with. It's not any better when I close programs, etc. I kind of don't want to upgrade computers for this problem on this one program.

BUT, that said, I actually have been really happy with some of the other other little changes. I didn't know what they all were, but I've been finding them piecemeal as I have been continuing to input lesson plans. Definitely good stuff. I am feeling pretty happy with the whole deal right now.

I also have had good experiences dealing with this company, and to another poster, I had the same problem with the colors/Today calendar. Funny, I thought I was the only one, too! I like accessorizing the courses, too. :001_smile:

I agree that this is already good software with great potential.

I'd slowly begun making the transition from my own spreadsheets to OLLY, but this last update enabled me to pick up the pace and actually use the program much sooner than expected. Yay - perfect timing! I'm still looking forward to some future updates, which are crucial in order for me to make a complete switch, but I'm already finding it to be an easier and smoother process of planning as a whole.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

OLLY developer here.

We released a new update a couple of days ago that should solve the assignment calendar performance issues that people have been having. It is not out yet on the Mac App Store (hopefully in a few weeks) but if you purchased from our store you can go up to Help->Check for Updates to check it out.

I hope you all like it!