Menu

Bad drug reaction or worse pneumonia. What's your vote?

Y'all. I am so. sick.

Went to the doc yesterday, he put me on clarithromycin (which I haven't ever taken before). 1000 mg, extended release, for those who care. I took my first dose last night at 6:15, 26 hours after I finished my Levaquin (other antibiotic).

Today, I was so, so sick. I've been in bed until 4 my time. Got up once to eat a banana. I expected the - um - runs. But I literally could not move, so weak and tired, my head is splitting, SPLITTING. Ironically, my cough is better.

I dunno. This doesn't FEEL like the pneumonia. Yesterday, even though I was coughing more, I felt better - had more energy. And now this.

Hubs is out at scouts tonight. I feel just horrible. My parents might come up tomorrow and stay a bit.

What do you think? Drug reaction? Or - as my friend who is a pharmacist says - just the pneumonia raging in my system?

Or you can just pray/send good thoughts that I get better.

Y'all. I am so. sick.

Went to the doc yesterday, he put me on clarithromycin (which I haven't ever taken before). 1000 mg, extended release, for those who care. I took my first dose last night at 6:15, 26 hours after I finished my Levaquin (other antibiotic).

Today, I was so, so sick. I've been in bed until 4 my time. Got up once to eat a banana. I expected the - um - runs. But I literally could not move, so weak and tired, my head is splitting, SPLITTING. Ironically, my cough is better.

I dunno. This doesn't FEEL like the pneumonia. Yesterday, even though I was coughing more, I felt better - had more energy. And now this.

Hubs is out at scouts tonight. I feel just horrible. My parents might come up tomorrow and stay a bit.

What do you think? Drug reaction? Or - as my friend who is a pharmacist says - just the pneumonia raging in my system?

Or you can just pray/send good thoughts that I get better.

If it were me...I would call the doctors after hours number and have them call you back. I think you need to let them know whats going on and how your feeling. :grouphug: I hope you feel better soon.

Yeah, I did call. Haven't heard back.

Call again. Tell the answering service that you aren't trying to bug them or the doc, but you were wondering when to expect a return call, because you hadn't heard back yet. Don't be shy, it's a reasonable thing to ask.

I didn't do this once, the doc forgot, and it ended up with a long hospital stay that could have been prevented.

My vote is the pneumonia. I had it last spring for two weeks and it was like a roller coaster, just when I thought I was feeling better I would spike a large fever and feel awful again. It was so very awful. I too had to take multiple antibiotics. Ask and accept help if you have someone. I hope you are feel better soon. :grouphug:

Well, i;ve had antibiotics that made me amazingly sick when i had pneumonia, but when i called to ask the doctor about the side effects, I was always switched to something else.

In fact, the first time that happened to me, it was my sister (who is an MD) who told me to call the doc and insist that I either be put on IV abx or an antibiotic that was not so difficult tolerate when taken orally.

I would feel better, heather, if you were seen by the doctor........soon. Please call back and tell them you are still waiting for a callback. And tell them you feel considerably worse.:grouphug:

I would say some of that can be from the levaquin. I will never take that drug again. It was awful. I was sicker from it than I was from the bronchitis I was taking it for. I remember lying on the floor in our living room unable to room because the room was spinning and I felt so sick to my stomach. I was so dizzy and had the weirdest feeling from taking it.

Google that drug and you'll find all sorts of terrible side effects from it.

:grouphug:

ETA: I see that you are now taking a new one. It's probably the prescription. I have a terrible time with antibiotics. I can't take amoxicilian or arythromyecin. They make me sick to my stomach. I would guess it's your prescription.

Yes, I am so surprised you could tolerate Levaquine, which is infamous as giving very bad reactions, but not the other antibiotic which is normally considered a much less strong antibiotic. If you are having diarrhea, you could be having c. difficile, which can happen after a course of antibiotics. That can give you very severe diarrhea.

I am amazed that with you having pneumonia already and the doctor thinking you are dehydrated, that he isn't making you go to an ER for IV fluids. I would be thinking that if you are dehydrated and sick, that would be the protocal.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hey - thanks for checking!

I feel like a human today. Last night, I almost seriously thought I was going to die. As my hubby said, he's never sen me that bad since my gallbladder surgery and when I was in labor. But I kept drinking, and sipping, and was able to sleep all night.

I'm still coughing, though. No fever, or only less than 1 degree.

I'm waiting to hear from the doc. May go in this morning.

What complicates all this - is that we have no health insurance :glare: Mariann and a few others know our story- hubby lost his job 5 years ago, has been only partially or underemployed since then. So I haven't seen my "regular" doc in almost 3 years. . . . . this is all a doc-in-the-box. But the original doctor I saw was quite good, and she's on today, so I may just drive down, pay the fee, and see her.

THanks for asking!

I am amazed that with you having pneumonia already and the doctor thinking you are dehydrated, that he isn't making you go to an ER for IV fluids. I would be thinking that if you are dehydrated and sick, that would be the protocal.

Yeah, see - he's a friend, and knows we have no insurance and no $$. I'm so thankful the sips did the trick. . . . . . . .

And there's some ? as to how severe my pneumonia was in the first place. The original doc said, "a TOUCH of pneumonia", not fully diagnosed even as walking pneumonia. My white cells were only barely elevated.

So how do I know it was bacterial? Maybe it was viral?

I'm just hoping to get answers today. And am glad I'm hydrated again. That was NO FUN.

. . . . this is all a doc-in-the-box. But the original doctor I saw was quite good, and she's on today, so I may just drive down, pay the fee, and see her.

THanks for asking!

When you find a good one, you stick with them.

I am glad you are noticing improvement -- you might try ice pops/italian ice as a better tasting way to stay hydrated.:grouphug: