Menu

Writing sample from my 9 year old

MaryE

I'm hoping you good folks would look over a writing sample from my son. I started homeschooling him last year, but have always felt a little panicky over writing. We didn't have a set curriculum, and it's not his favorite thing to do. This example is something he wrote up to go with an imaginary world he created, complete with map. Do you feel he's on "grade level?". (All spelling and punctuation is original.)

"One day, on planet Zeus in the Matt galaxy, the comet Eris crashed into North West Afraba. The nearby people were terrified! They thought it was the apocalypse! "Help!!" they cried out. "Save us!". It landed in their bonfire, which made it burn quicker, and made the people more scared. It is now called the Eris Crater.

The Trench of Hades was made when the Acomahas were forced together. They are now joined together imperfectly, and the trench is taking in water from the Maple Ocean, and dumping into the Sophie Ocean.

There are a lot of little islands in the Champion Ocean, though there are islands in all the oceans. Some are tropical, having resorts. Others are volcanic, and some are inhabited.

Planet Zeus is a very exotic planet for sure."

Stylistically it is very nice. His vocabulary skills are very apparent.

Structurally there are some problems that need to be addressed at this age. The use of multiple punctuation marks is one. Double exclamation points should be discouraged immediately as that is a nasty habit to develop. This sentence:

"Save us!".

should not have the period at the end as the punctuation mark always goes within the quotation marks when it ends the sentence. Also, the general overuse of exclamation points is to be discouraged, but that's not a huge deal for a 9 y/o. Some minor tweaks and he will be soaring above grade level. Nice work!

The spelling, capitalization and punctuation are solid. It's good, like everyone said. :)

The exclamation points thing, is, indeed, a bad habit. However, I wouldn't worry too much about it at this age. I have broken some really bad offenders of this much, much later on.

I'm hoping you good folks would look over a writing sample from my son. I started homeschooling him last year, but have always felt a little panicky over writing. We didn't have a set curriculum, and it's not his favorite thing to do. This example is something he wrote up to go with an imaginary world he created, complete with map. Do you feel he's on "grade level?". (All spelling and punctuation is original.)

"One day, on planet Zeus in the Matt galaxy, the comet Eris crashed into North West Afraba. The nearby people were terrified! They thought it was the apocalypse! "Help!!" they cried out. "Save us!". It landed in their bonfire, which made it burn quicker, and made the people more scared. It is now called the Eris Crater.

The Trench of Hades was made when the Acomahas were forced together. They are now joined together imperfectly, and the trench is taking in water from the Maple Ocean, and dumping into the Sophie Ocean.

There are a lot of little islands in the Champion Ocean, though there are islands in all the oceans. Some are tropical, having resorts. Others are volcanic, and some are inhabited.

Planet Zeus is a very exotic planet for sure."

So when will his book be published? :001_smile:

What a great imagination, my son couldn't have written like that at nine.

Thank you so much for your comments, everyone. He's a great little guy, and yes, he does have a big vocabulary and imagination. I never quite know what he'll come up with:)

So do you think it's just a matter of him doing more writing as practice? Would that be enough, or does he need an actual curriculum of some variety? An every day journal? Writing prompts? I'm not sure why I freak out over this. It just seems like they do so much more writing in PS, and I don't want to shortchange him somehow.

Thank you so much for your comments, everyone. He's a great little guy, and yes, he does have a big vocabulary and imagination. I never quite know what he'll come up with:)

So do you think it's just a matter of him doing more writing as practice? Would that be enough, or does he need an actual curriculum of some variety? An every day journal? Writing prompts? I'm not sure why I freak out over this. It just seems like they do so much more writing in PS, and I don't want to shortchange him somehow.

He is doing great! I have a writer also, but honestly, we don't really do anything assigned. She writes when she feels like it, and it goes in fits and spurts.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to foster her creativity without stifling it, so I have purchased a bunch of books and such but haven't used them much yet. We are taking a Bravewriter online class starting in October (Just So Stories). I am hoping that will get us in the mode of writing-rewriting-edit.