Menu

How long would you wait for payment?

What is a reasonable time to wait to receive payment when selling curriculum? The offer to purchase was July 30 and the payment, US Postal money order, was mailed Aug. 4th. She emailed me a copy of the money order receipt on Aug. 10th showing the amount and date, but otherwise not filled in, and said the post office will not trace for 30 days. I really can't afford to wait a month to receive payment, and have already turned down multiple offers. What would be the fairest way to handle this?

That's tricky. I assume she's being honest, she doesn't really have anything to gain by lying. But that is a long time to wait and school is starting soin, so you're loosig other potential sales. What is her plan if this is just lost in the mail? I'd probably have to honestly consider how long i could wait and let her know that. Then, if you get another offer after that, take it. If the $ comes, send it back to her with dc and insurance if it's a significant amount. And don't take m.o.s anymore! I *think* that's how I'd handle it, anyway.

What is a reasonable time to wait to receive payment when selling curriculum? The offer to purchase was July 30 and the payment, US Postal money order, was mailed Aug. 4th. She emailed me a copy of the money order receipt on Aug. 10th showing the amount and date, but otherwise not filled in, and said the post office will not trace for 30 days. I really can't afford to wait a month to receive payment, and have already turned down multiple offers. What would be the fairest way to handle this?

I don't mean to sound suspicious of your buyer, but was the MO for a "standard" amount of money, like $25.00, or was it an odd amount, like $27.77? I only ask this, because I remember years ago there was a scam where someone "bought" several items from people, all for the same amount of money, and then when "all" of the money orders were lost in the mail, the seller sent copies of the same exact money order to all of the sellers (with no name filled in,) hoping that people would feel badly for her and send her the stuff anyway.

I'm quite sure that your buyer can report the MO lost or stolen and the post office will stop payment on it and refund her money, so she won't lose anything unless someone else cashes it before she stops payment on it.

My feeling on this is that while I hope your buyer is honest, I hope you will not send her anything until you receive payment in full. If you have any doubts about her, tell her to report the MO stolen and that you will sell your items to someone else, unless she wants to pay you again.

I hate to sound so suspicious, but if she was going to make a copy of the money order, why wouldn't she have filled it in first?

Sorry you're stuck dealing with this. :grouphug:

My feeling on this is that while I hope your buyer is honest, I hope you will not send her anything until you receive payment in full. If you have any doubts about her, tell her to report the MO stolen and that you will sell your items to someone else, unless she wants to pay you again.

I hate to sound so suspicious, but if she was going to make a copy of the money order, why wouldn't she have filled it in first?

:iagree: Do you have any buyer/seller feedback on her?

I don't mean to sound suspicious of your buyer, but was the MO for a "standard" amount of money, like $25.00, or was it an odd amount, like $27.77? I only ask this, because I remember years ago there was a scam where someone "bought" several items from people, all for the same amount of money, and then when "all" of the money orders were lost in the mail, the seller sent copies of the same exact money order to all of the sellers (with no name filled in,) hoping that people would feel badly for her and send her the stuff anyway.

The MO was for a "standard" amount.

I'm quite sure that your buyer can report the MO lost or stolen and the post office will stop payment on it and refund her money, so she won't lose anything unless someone else cashes it before she stops payment on it.

This is what really struck me as odd.

Just so you know, this is the policy about the USPS money orders. It doesn't say anything about 30 days for tracing. She can pay a fee to replace it.

I checked with my local post office and there is a 30 day waiting period from the date of purchase before they will even start the search, which takes time, and then you can file for a lost money order. That's a long time to wait for payment.

https://www.usps.com/shop/replacing-money-orders.htm

Honestly, I wouldn't wait on her to buy. I would just return the money order if it ever came.

I think this is what I will do. If the situation were reversed, I would never expect the seller to wait over a month for payment. Too many things about the whole sale that make me uneasy. I just hate doing this. Everything is packaged up and waiting for payment and mailing address.

Thanks for everyone's input!