Menu

MUS Epsilon...chapter 10...dividing fractions

We took a break from MUS for a while to zip through Singapore Math....I'm putting my 2E child back through MUS for review and we're getting to chapter 10 which is about dividing fractions.....

Mr. Demme's method seems way more complicated than how I learned in school. He wants the student to divide using the rule of four. I learned to flip and multiply.

Do I need to follow his methodology for some greater math purpose that I don't understand, or can I teach my son to flip and multiply?

For those who aren't following what I'm saying:

His method: 3/6 / 1/2 = 6/12 / 6/12 = 6/6 /1 = 1

My method: 3/6 / 1/2 = 6/6 = 1

OR

His method: 2/3 / 3/6 = 12/18 / 9/18 = 12/9 /1 = 12/9

My method: 2/3 / 3/6 = 12/9

We taught dd both ways. He teaches them using the rule of four to show them WHY when you flip and multiply it works. DD does well with that kind of teaching, even if it totally screws me up. I just want to know how to get it done the easiest way possible.

Blessings!

Dorinda

We taught dd both ways. He teaches them using the rule of four to show them WHY when you flip and multiply it works. DD does well with that kind of teaching, even if it totally screws me up. I just want to know how to get it done the easiest way possible.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Same as above. I teach the rule of four so they get why inverting and multiplying works and then we never do it that way again. :D

LOL, yes. You really don't do it for long, but I think it helps to know that fractions really CAN be divided, rather than having no idea why a trick (really a short-cut) works. I was never taught that fractions could actually be divided when I was in school, so I appreciated this aspect. Anyway, he'll get to invert & multiply soon :).

Merry :-)