Menu

well CR@P! Severe anemia and 37 weeks pregnant

I had my 37 week appointment today. Did the B-Strep test. Blood pressure was ok, urine was great. Then we did the iron test. She used a handheld machine, looks almost like a glucometer. First reading was 8.1, but the blood had started to clot maybe? (student was slow with the machine). Second, from a different finger, was 8.8. Apparantly this is NOT good. I've just been taking the multi vitamin because I didn't feel that anemic. Now I'm back on the good iron supplement (I had been out of it), at double the normal dose, plus yellow dock tincture 3 times a day, and I got some pregnancy tea that is mainly nettles. I stopped and got a burger on my way home. They drew blood for a CBC to double check, with the hopes that maybe the machine is off somehow.

Freaking out. It seems tranfusions are done for between 7 and 8. And I'm just above 8. CRAP!

Need to get this up FAST! (the supplement she has me on is Hemagenics).

The nettle tea can really, really help. Drink oceans of it, lol. I made my own, a mix of nettle, raspberry leaf, and alfalfa.

I have issues with anemia and also with bleeding. I drank cups and cups of that bloody tea and didn't have any anemia issues and had hardly any post-partum bleeding at all. I am a vegetarian and didn't eat any meat during pg.

You can also try mixing 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molassas into warm milk or something. It's got to be blackstrap.

Cream of wheat has lots of iron!

My iron levels were severely low like yours and I ate roast beef, all day long for several days in a row. When I got my levels checked a week later, they were up where they were suppose to be. The midwife was amazed.

Since it was hot, I bought deli roast beef, sliced thin and snacked on it. I cooked a roast in the slow cooker and ate that too, along with spinach salad. Oh, I also eliminated all dairy during my meatfest because dairy prevents the absorption of iron.

And if you get a little clogged up from the iron, magnesium supplements really help.

:grouphug: Good luck!

My youngest ds tested as severely anemic in two different doctor offices with the fingerprick test but a CBC test revealed that his iron levels were low but within normal range. Hopefully your results will come back much higher than the in-office results.

Due to other medical conditions I have, I am unable to bring up my iron with supplimentation alone. But rather than doing blood transfusions, I get Iron infusions (basically a liquid iron injected into the iron) called Iron Sucrose. I have to have them even when I'm not pregnant.

I certainly hope you are able to turn this around on your own but thought I'd mention what my doctors use just in case you want to explore other options besides the transfusion.

I took this one when I was low iron & pregnant. They didn't give me the numbers, so I don't know what I was at but they said, "We need to get this up before the delivery." This supplement helped, though I had to be faithful. I seem to remember you have to take it with orange juice, but don't take it with milk.

http://www.amazon.com/Salus-Haus-Floradix-17-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B0010EI0CA

:grouphug: Lord have mercy.

Don't panic too much :grouphug: My iron drops to drastic levels like 4 or 5 and I never had to do any transfusions. Supplements and the advice listed in pp did the trick in relatively short time. But it is still scary.

Good to know. At this point I am hoping labor holds off until the iron levels are back up. Otherwise no home birth for me, and possibly a dangerous postpartum.

My first question would be, what was your level with your last pregnancy?

When I have a client running that low this is what we do...

Floradix - 2T/1x day

Liquid chlorophyll - 1T/3x day

I get anemic every time. Lowest it has been before was 9, but that was mid pregnancy, and I got it back up.

My first question would be, what was your level with your last pregnancy?

When I have a client running that low this is what we do...

Floradix - 2T/1x day

Liquid chlorophyll - 1T/3x day

:iagree:

This is what I did when I was anemic during my last pregnancy, worked like a charm.

I was anemic during the latter part of my pregnancy (not as much as you though), and it was very important for me to bring my iron levels up so that I would not be considered "high risk" and could have my baby at the birthing center instead of the hospital. A really great midwife recommended these three things to me to increase my iron:

(1) Floridix liquid iron supplement (linked already by another poster); much more effective than iron pills.

(2) Raw beets (I would peel and slice them and just dip them in salad dressing)

(3) Blackstrap molasses (this one was really difficult for me, as I really didn't like the taste; it was recommended for me to eat it with oatmeal)

My hemoglobin level stayed pretty low (between 9 and 10) until the day I went in labor, when it was miraculously almost a 12.

I was anemic during the latter part of my pregnancy (not as much as you though), and it was very important for me to bring my iron levels up so that I would not be considered "high risk" and could have my baby at the birthing center instead of the hospital. A really great midwife recommended these three things to me to increase my iron:

(1) Floridix liquid iron supplement (linked already by another poster); much more effective than iron pills.

(2) Raw beets (I would peel and slice them and just dip them in salad dressing)

(3) Blackstrap molasses (this one was really difficult for me, as I really didn't like the taste; it was recommended for me to eat it with oatmeal)

My hemoglobin level stayed pretty low (between 9 and 10) until the day I went in labor, when it was miraculously almost a 12.

I don't think I could get beets down, I hate them, but I did have two big spoonfuls of blackstrap molasses tonight. I love it :)

I'll look into the floridix versus the hemagenics, or add it to the hemagenics. The hemagenics has worked quickly for me before, in my last pregnanc, but I wasn't this low that time. It is supposed to be very absorbable...http://www.metagenics.com/products/a-z-products-list/Hemagenics

I usually like metagenics products but I don't like that iron. It includes copper. Copper chelates iron. I would take a different iron supplement. Solgar gentle iron is a nice form. Here is a ferrochel form with b vitamins too. http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-ferrochel-iron-with-b-vitamins

I do know people have good luck too with Floradix. My son didn't; he did much better with the ferrochel/ferrous bis-glycinate found in the above. Either would, imo, be better than the one you're doing.

Avoid egg while you're trying to get your iron up--yolks and whites both are major inhibitors. Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) would be a good thing to take.

I usually like metagenics products but I don't like that iron. It includes copper. Copper chelates iron. I would take a different iron supplement. Solgar gentle iron is a nice form. Here is a ferrochel form with b vitamins too. http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-ferrochel-iron-with-b-vitamins

I do know people have good luck too with Floradix. My son didn't; he did much better with the ferrochel/ferrous bis-glycinate found in the above. Either would, imo, be better than the one you're doing.

Avoid egg while you're trying to get your iron up--yolks and whites both are major inhibitors. Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) would be a good thing to take.

thanks! I thought I read somewhere that the glycinate form, because it is already chelated and doesn't have a charge electrically, doesn't react with/copete with copper...but I may have that wrong.

And thanks for the heads up about the eggs, I eat them a lot and often was doing steak and eggs when I did manage to choke down some steak. oops.