Menu

starting sonlight tomorrow~!

ktgrok

Gulp! I REALLY hope he likes it, because it IS a lot of reading. But I think (hope?) he will. Plus we are upping the intensity in science, and going from MM6 straight into Algebra 1. Oh, and doing a formal writing program for the first time really.

I just went over my son's assignments for tomorrow with him, and although he briefly complained about the amount of reading the only real blow back I got from him was the 10 minutes of typing a day. He hates typing. Hopefully it will go well...7th grade seems so much more "real".

Best wishes! :grouphug:

My son, also 13, will be "stepping up to the plate" this year:

TOG (History/Geography/Lit and Writing)

Vocab = Classical Roots

Apologia General Science

Pre-Algebra

Keyboarding

Programming/Robotics

and a few other things... :)

Sounds pretty similar. We are also doing programming, plus spanish and a little bit of logic. And Bible. I may have gone overboard on the "electives", but I think he will enjoy the challenge.

I hope it goes well for you. We are doing Core H this year. We are in our 5th week since we started on July 23. My dd is most likely dyslexic (though never formally diagnosed) and has always disliked reading. We actually switched the reader and read aloud in SL. There are some readers that I will have her read, but I read aloud The King's Fifth and The Iron Peacock. She's been reading the read alouds alone...A Murder for Her Majesty and Out of Many Waters. The read aloud schedule is less reading and I also find the read aloud books a tad easier....the readers seem to have advanced vocabulary, quotes from people in different dialects, unfamiliar place names, etc. My dd reads on grade level or slightly above but was having trouble with The King's Fifth.

SL IS a lot of reading. But we are really enjoying Core H so far with these minor adjustments. :) We are not doing the writing though, we use IEW for that. We also don't use their Bible, except for the actual Bible reading schedule.

I hope you end up enjoying it as much as we are and that you have a great year.

thanks, so far so good.

He didn't look at his schedule closely, so started reading the read aloud on his own, which is fine. He wants to read all of that, then read the King's fifth, which is fine. He may end up reading through the weekend, rather than just m-thurdsay, but that is fine too.

thanks, so far so good.

He didn't look at his schedule closely, so started reading the read aloud on his own, which is fine. He wants to read all of that, then read the King's fifth, which is fine. He may end up reading through the weekend, rather than just m-thurdsay, but that is fine too.

Yep, that will be fine. Make SL work for you. My dd11 just started Core F this week & we are really enjoying it. This is our third year with SL and one thing I've learned is that it is "too much" for us to do *everything* listed in the IG, so I pick and choose. I hope it works out for you guys. We love SL!

We started SL G yesterday. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm a little worried about the amount of time the reading is going to take us this year considering how full our schedule is. I think when we do Core H, I may wise up and do the 4-day schedule for the first time (unless that cuts out the Foster books).

Lisa

I hope your year goes well! I am very seriously considering SL G this year. For those of you using Core G or H: Much time will you spend each day reading aloud? How much time will your dc read independently each day?

I am hoping to do a two year world history overview and I'm trying to decide if I want to plan my own thing, or use SL. My kids are 10 and 12. I know I'd have to select some independent reader substitutions for my 10 yr. old, but I KNOW he'd really enjoy the read alouds and SOTW, as we've used those before. He could still do *some* of the Core G readers.

What led you to choose SL? Have you used it before?

I hope your year goes well! I am very seriously considering SL G this year. For those of you using Core G or H: Much time will you spend each day reading aloud? How much time will your dc read independently each day?

I am hoping to do a two year world history overview and I'm trying to decide if I want to plan my own thing, or use SL. My kids are 10 and 12. I know I'd have to select some independent reader substitutions for my 10 yr. old, but I KNOW he'd really enjoy the read alouds and SOTW, as we've used those before. He could still do *some* of the Core G readers.

What led you to choose SL? Have you used it before?

Well, we've just done 1 day of Core G. (I'm going to finish reading for our second day tonight at dinner.) I'm guessing it's going to take me an hour to do the Bible, History and Read-Aloud reading and that my kids will spend between 30 - 45 minutes with their readers each day.

I've used SL since Pre-K with my kids. I saw all the books laid out at a curriculum fair when we were just starting out and fell in love. It's always worked well for us.

Lisa