Menu

Banana Clip Sighting! Long Live the 80's!

Are they trending now? Or did this lady just climb out of the time machine? :D Truly, it was a fun blast from the past. Heading down to the beach, sitting in the line for paying the toll on the Bay Bridge, look to the right and - BANANA CLIP! She even went through the hoisting process one requires after the clip sinks down a few inches! :D

Everything 80s is back again (again!) this year. Preppy clothes, high tops, side ponytails, banana clips. Ugh...

I tried to convince dd to let me "80s" her the other day for decade day at band camp. She wanted no part of it. :lol:

I was the first girl in school to wear one (I wasn't usually trendy, but my cousin from Troy gave me one, and she was.) Carla something-or-other made fun of me on the bus, but within a week or two, everyone was buying them (Seventeen magazine probably said we had to have one or something.)

Edited by angela in ohio

I have a couple and I had a friend ask me recently if I was "rockin' the banana clip". I guess I have naturally 80's hair and banana clips tend to work well in my hair. So, if they are coming back, yay for me!

Love it... Hee hee! My hair would never stay put in those blasted things, so I hope they aren't coming back. The PP was right though, the 80s is back. Some of it good ( Dolman sleeves), some not so much (pleated pants)... Ah the good ole days:lol:

Dolman sleeves are awesome. The rest can go the way of the dodo.

Dolman sleeves are awesome. The rest can go the way of the dodo.

Agreed.

I see banana clips all the time (so it could just be someone who wander to the Western shore for the day) but, then, I also see leggings with Tweety nigh shirts, and puffy high-top Reeboks (which you could have gotten at the Queenstown outlets, on your way through), so I'm not so sure the 80s haven't taken up permanent residence over here. Of course, the chickens don't care, so...

I never did manage to find one that would stay in my super fine hair. Didn't have the right perm or use enough hairspray I guess. :tongue_smilie:

My hair is thick and curly. They didn't work for me, either. Nor did Cybill Sheppard Moonlighting hair. My hair was tragic in the 80s.

I hope someone brings back BIG BANGS!!!! Oh how I miss big hair. I was really tall in the 80's.

We enjoyed an 80's claw/spiral perm sighting on TWO college aged girls at Wegmans the other day. We live between two major cities (in case someone is plotting sightings). I'll report if I see more!

I think banana clips are coming back into fashion. I've started seeing them more frequently in the stores so it's just a matter of time I think.

I'm kind of excited. I had straighter than straight hair in the 80s and envied curly girls that could wear them decently. Now I'm one of them. :lol:

I'm leaving the day-glo neons and anything puffy to the kids though. I don't think I can pull off neon colors anymore and I'm puffy enough as it is. :tongue_smilie:

I would be so golden if 80's hair came back. I have enough hair for 3 people.

You and me both. My hair loved banana clips, and I could tease my bangs a foot high.

I still wear my hair big for dates with dh (not mall bangs big, just hot rollers big :D.) I have a theory that many men love the hair and makeup from high school, no matter how old they get. They "stick" at a certain point in what they think is attractive. So dh is all about the eyeliner, tight jeans, and big hair. :D

I hope someone brings back BIG BANGS!!!! Oh how I miss big hair. I was really tall in the 80's.

Whenever someone gives a snide look or critical comment about the bright color streaks that are popular for teen hair these days, I just want to ask the person to remember how they blew their bangs straight up into the air back in the '80's. Natural.....NOT!

I had lots of fun but I have to say I am very glad that my hair spray expense has drastically decreased. :D

By the way, where is the icon with Flock-of-Seagulls hair???

You and me both. My hair loved banana clips, and I could tease my bangs a foot high.

I still wear my hair big for dates with dh (not mall bangs big, just hot rollers big :D.) I have a theory that many men love the hair and makeup from high school, no matter how old they get. They "stick" at a certain point in what they think is attractive. So dh is all about the eyeliner, tight jeans, and big hair. :D

So true! My hubby keeps telling me to wear it big whether it's in fashion or not. :001_huh:

Whenever someone gives a snide look or critical comment about the bright color streaks that are popular for teen hair these days, I just want to ask the person to remember how they blew their bangs straight up into the air back in the '80's. Natural.....NOT!

I had lots of fun but I have to say I am very glad that my hair spray expense has drastically decreased. :D

By the way, where is the icon with Flock-of-Seagulls hair???

Omigoodness--my hubby dyed his hair flock of seagulls color when we were first married. I was like NO WAY!!! Ha.

I spend a lot less on hair product, too, but when I really go gray that'll bump me into a whole new realm.

Omigoodness--my hubby dyed his hair flock of seagulls color when we were first married. I was like NO WAY!!! Ha.

I spend a lot less on hair product, too, but when I really go gray that'll bump me into a whole new realm.

I saw Flock of Seagulls live sometime in the 80's...maybe 83 or 84. They toured with The Fixx. It was awesome. :)