Menu

Eating plan for Crohn's-newly diagnosed 13 yo

Hello homeschool friends,

My son, Reece, has just been diagnosed with Crohn's after finding a hemoglobin of under 6. He is still in the hospital and we expect to go home in the next 2 days. He has already gained several pounds and his blood counts are better after 2 transfusions. He is currently eating soft foods (toast, applesauce, eggs) that are easy on his gut. I am so afraid to go home and plan his eating. He needs lots of nutrients to keep him healthy, but I don't want to cause a flair up and more bleeding! What do I feed him? He hasn't had any cramping AT ALL, so that isn't going to be the best indicator of irritation. He is a bottemless pit right now and just wants to eat, eat, eat (steriods that he will continue at home). Any suggestions? I need some been there, done that advice. Thanks so much for any and all:) Blessing!

Carly

I would ask if you can have a meeting with the hospital nutritionist before bringing him home or shortly after. It is going to be a life style change for you potentially. It will be easier if you have help. When my father was diagnosed with diabetes my mom received a lot of support from a dietitian. It made it far easier for her to help him.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

the university of alberta is doing cutting edge studies. the probiotics in this one have worked well for both my friend and i, so i have first hand knowledge. this report also mentions using specific probiotics with children diagnosed with crohns and taking steroids, and the results sound pretty good. we order the probiotics on line.

http://www.ualberta.ca/~loewen/Medicine/GIM%20Residents%20Core%20Reading/Probiotics.pdf

here's an excerpt:

Treatment of Acute Active Disease

Gupta et al38 conducted an open-label, pilot trial in children

with mildly to moderately active disease [Pediatric

Crohn’s Disease Activity Index (PCDAI) > 10], in conjunction

with concomitant therapy with prednisone and immunomodulatory

agents.

Patients received a 6-month, open-label evaluation

of Lactobacillus GG (2 × 1010 cfu per day). Four patients

were enrolled in this pilot project.

There was significant improvement

in the PCDAI 1 week after beginning Lactobacillus

GG.

This improvement was sustained throughout the study,

with the median PCDAI 73% lower than baseline. In three patients,

it was possible to taper the dose of steroids while they

were receiving Lactobacillus GG. Intestinal permeability, as

determined by a double sugar permeability test, improved significantly

with the Lactobacillus GG. Three patients had relapse

of their Crohn’s disease within 4–12 weeks of discontinuation

of the Lactobacillus GG.

hth,

ann

there are also some good online forums. and a lot of bad info out there, too. back in the eighties i did food trials for a researcher, and one of the things we discovered is that not only do specific foods trigger, but combinations of food matter, too. so i have balanced days, not balanced meals. as you read, you'll discover that food texture matters, too, so that while i pretty much can never eat kernel corn.... ever.... i can eat popcorn with impunity. most times, i can't eat nuts.... but sometimes i can. there are times when i can eat no raw anything, and other times when its okay. most of us can't handle cruciferous veggies, even if they are cooked.

exercise makes a huge difference. my friend who is in his late forties now can go off all meds if he cycles eight hours a day or more, and his crohns is now quite severe. most of us can't spend eight hours a day exercising, but regular doses throughout the day, esp. walking right after eating, can make a huge difference. the exercise helps with the manic effects of the prednisone, too.

:grouphug:

ann

I totally understand what you're going through. My ds has was just diagnosed this summer and we are navigating the diet changes.

I've read many books and am working on an approach that will work for us.

After 2 weeks of not eating and then hospitalized, my ds had a ravenous appetite for about 2 weeks. It's tapered off, but he's still eating well and has gained all the weight he lost.

We've cut out dairy, almost all gluten (not totally gluten free yet). Primarly gets fruits and veggies in smoothies since easy on the gut.

PM me if you want more tips we're doing. I could go on and on!