Menu

Fresh fig recipes? Anyone, please?! We're overloaded!

We have two fig trees that are just going crazy this year.

Our first batch were gigantic, and now.... the second batch is absolutely prolific. We easily have 100 fresh figs in our fridge. There are just as many that will ripen in the next week or so.

So does anyone have some great fig recipes?

I can only give so many away to neighbors...;)

I love figs! A local restaurant featured a fig and blue cheese flatbread on their menu and were kind enough to share the recipe with me. I'm working from my chicken scratch and don't have exact quantities or anything, so I hope this makes sense!

Caramelize some Spanish or Vidalia onions . Puree w/some mascarpone cheese. Add some salt & pepper. Spread over a flatbread (I use Naan) Sprinkle w/scallions, chopped pancetta (bacon is also nice) and some sliced figs. Bake or broil til meat is slightly crispy. Sprinkle w/gorgonzola and put back in oven til cheese is melty. It is awesome :)

Send them to ME. :D

Figs are my FAVORITE fruit. I just spent $12 on 3 teeny tiny boxes of them at the farmer's market and I can eat at least a full box in one sitting. I've been known to eat figs and only figs for a full day. I don't do anything with them though; just eat them fresh and raw.

What type of figs do you grow? I have 2 Brown Turkeys that I planted last year and I've got about a dozen fruit on them right now. I'm just waiting for the day when mine are overloaded. :drool:

To answer all of you....without quoting....

No, they are not really able to grow in the area. My husband builds houses for them each year. These trees are from cuttings from established trees that my FIL grew himself from cuttings from trees in the Appenine mountains in Tuscany. So they are directly from Italy, albeit cloned, grown, however you want to classify it. ;)

I have no idea what kind they are. They turn slightly golden brown, and are totally voluptuous.

There are only so many you can eat when they are fresh. Really, I didn't think it was possible but it is! :D

I am totally making that recipe it sounds awesome!

SO what is the fig preserve recipe? Please, tell me!

Not to rub it in, but we have 5 baby fig trees that we're now nursing. They grew from trimmed branches in our compost pile. If they are that determined to live, we'll help 'em!

Before you know it, we will have a boutique market on Cincinnati figs. Seriously. If they could be relied upon I woul dtotally sell them at the farmers market, but it is almost impossible to tell when they are going to pop. Then they won't stop, for a few weeks , then...they're done for the year. It could be a lucrative few weeks if I knew when they were going to go crazy.

BTW, if I trusted the PO, I would totally mail them out to you all. I think it would take too long. ;)