Menu

Most effective dog probiotic? Please?

we have used Perfect Form in the past.

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/perfect-form/

however, once we switched to grain free food, the diarrhea problem disappeared. both dogs eat Pinnacle brand food (it was recommended to me by someone on this board) -- the diarrhea had been a constant problem with our hound and a week on the pinnacle brand and the problem was gone after having it plague him for 18 months.

Edited by MariannNOVA

however, once we switched to gluten free/grain free food, the diarrhea problem disappeared. both dogs eat Pinnacle brand food (it was recommended to me by someone on this board) -- the diarrhea had been a constant problem with our hound and a week on the pinnacle brand and the problem was gone after having it plague him for 18 months.

Ok he is on merrick grain free now but not seeming to be the best.....maybe a switch isin order

Ok he is on merrick grain free now but not seeming to be the best.....maybe a switch isin order

we had our hound on orijen from the day we adopted him -- we went through a rgular three week cycle of bowels ok, then diarrhea, then we would feed him rice and pumpkin, then back to the orijen and three weeks later it would start all over again.

when we switched to the pinnacle, the problem disappeared -- apparently the orijen was just too rich for him -- sometimes even a high quality food won't work for some dogs.

Our rats take Bene-bac when they have to be on antibiotics. It seems to help. And rat diarrhea is really not nice -- looks horrible, smells worse -- so we are good about giving it when needed.

We give the small animal formula but I think they have bird and bigger animal formulae too. Check amazon.

however, once we switched to grain free food, the diarrhea problem disappeared. both dogs eat Pinnacle brand food (it was recommended to me by someone on this board) -- the diarrhea had been a constant problem with our hound and a week on the pinnacle brand and the problem was gone after having it plague him for 18 months.

:iagree:

Pinnacle is great food. We have used it with our lab.

You can try grain free, but also look at switching the proteins in the dog food you are using.

Our lab needs grain free but also cannot tolerate any chicken products. Who knew?!! :001_huh: We have him on a Salmon based food and he is great. The same problems you are describing have disappeared. :)

Weird suggestion, but try a banana :) My dog eats the last of each yogurt bowl that we eat... and any left over yogurt is great. Kefir would be a good thing... just a thought. Probiotics are, of course, the best... but I figure a little extra doesn't hurt. I would drop down to just a protein for a bit. (so I'd try something like beef organs like kidneys and heart.) If you need ideas to get him to accept it, I'd give you some more :) Our dog was an itchy mess.... funny thing is... now he eats scraps and we've fed him "Taste of the Wild" and other grain free foods and he's ok. BUT, most of the time it's just meat/poultry... raw. Somehow I think it really fixed him to go grain free for quite a while. (and it didn't help, at first, to just do grain free dog food. I think it had too many "extras") I also try to remember to give him some salmon oil :)

Our lab needs grain free but also cannot tolerate any chicken products. Who knew?!!

Protein molecules are what trigger food allergies in dogs, whether they be in grains or in animal proteins. Contrary to the bad press that grains get (very much undeserved, IMO), statistically animal proteins are the most common food allergy triggers in dogs. Beef, dairy products, chicken, lamb, fish and eggs are the most common food allergens in dogs. Grains are actually pretty far down the list.

Edited by Pawz4me