Menu

Would YOU use Teaching Textbooks?

Deanna

I am looking for some help with math. I have a son who does very well at math. It is definitely not his favorite thing, though. We are either going to use BJU Math 6 with video teaching to free me a little to work with others, although I will still need to supervise him, OR I am considering using Teaching Textbooks 7. I have heard so much negative about TT, that it is behind, not a great curricula...

TT looks great to me! My son is an great independent learner...he is one who can learn with about any program. Can you offer any insight? Would you try TT or stick with BJU?

The BJU video of 6th grade needs to be updated badly. I wish they had done this years ago...just thought TT might be a more interesting way to go.

I'd so appreciate your thoughts.

I would use Teaching Textbooks. I think it is "behind" because it only overs what most schools actually get through in a year. I know that when I was in school, I only got to the end of the math textbook once. If you use it a grade ahead, you certainly don't have anything to worry about. Personally, I only decided against it because of the price.

I don't know anything about BJU math but we are loving TT3 & TT4 this year. We just switched and my boys don't whine about math and I think the issue of it being "behind" is silly - just put your kids in the next level if need be! :confused:

There was just a thread on this maybe someone can link to... maybe search for "standardized test Teaching Textbooks" because someone posted about the successful test results they had when their kids were using TT and others chimed in as well. I found it validating and made me feel better about the negative talk.

I know if *I* had to learn some upper level math for some reason, I would not hesitate to use TT myself. I love just about everything about it so far... the gradebook, the options to delete problems and do them again (but only parents can delete them), the automatic grading, the little "buddies" at the top to encourage the kids, the very well-done audio, the visuals, the ability to see and hear an explanation of every single problem in the curriculum. That is huge, IMO. If it were me, especially learning high school math, I'd rather have the ability to see how each problem is worked out than just the answer in the back and have to figure out how on earth they got that answer (which I remember doing in hs - blech).

I haven't heard anything negative yet other than the level issue which I think is silly when it's just a name. If it's a good program, just place your kid where they belong, right? :001_huh:

I'm learning to never say I'll never do something related to curriculum, LOL!! There have already been things I looked at and said "no way" only to end up using it later!

That said, I'm not using TT right now and have no plans to, but I would certainly consider it in the future if I thought, for some reason, it would work well for my son. Definitely do a placement test, and don't be afraid to move a student up if they need it.

We use TT and both my kids really like it. In fact, math is DS's favorite subject! That said, they are both working ahead of grade level. DD just stared 5th grade, and DS started 4th; however, they are halfway through TT5 and will start 6th grade math after Christmas. The only thing I supplement with is Daily Math and Daily Word Problems from Evan-Moor.

We use it! I started it to fill in gaps for annual testing purposes since we use MUS (a mastery program). DD8 is working a year ahead.. but she's a year ahead in MUS too so I don't think it really matters what year is supposed to be what.. just do the placement test and start where you are at..

I will say there seems to be A LOT of review at the beginning of the year so keep that in mind when interpreting your dc's placement test results..

I also will be supplementing the MUS/TT this year with the daily word problems from Evan Moor (bought the subscription from HSBC:D)

We started using TT5 in 4th grade, along with MM4 as our main program, because I needed something dd could work on independently on Fridays when I have to work. At first she really liked it, but the novelty of working on the computer soon wore off, and she began noticing and commenting that the lessons in TT(5) were much less deep than the lessons in MM(4), and she felt like she wasn't really learning much. We started accelerating through it to try to get to something more challenging, but eventually decided to drop it - it's too expensive to be a supplement when you skip more than half of the level. Now she does Life of Fred as her independent math, instead, and is much happier.

Not trying to knock TT, just sharing our experience. . .

I can't honestly share the enthusiasm after our experience with it.

We were blessed with a copy. My boys would do really well that day but not retain anything. When I asked the reps who appeared at our local hs expo what to do, they told me, very snobbishly, to just buy Calculadders!! I was incensed.

For *that* amount of money, I expect to not have to supplement. There are other technology-based math programs out there that have more built-in support for the money.

I would never use the geometry again.

Personally, I think my kids (and maybe most, but YMMV) need a "real" teacher for math, so they can go deeper. I will probably use Chalkdust or Art Reed for 8th grade (Alg), so I do get the dvd-as-teacher thing, but IMO it is second-best.

I think it is all a matter of perspective. I think TT is probably one of the closest Math Curriculums out there that is on level with the average public school. The reason that there is so much argument and saying it is behind is because I think a lot of home school math curriculum is ahead.

My son was behind in Math. In the 5 areas our Math test looks at he was really behind in one area, behind in 3, and at level in 1. He has done a combination of TT and LOF (TT for 18 months and LOF for 6 months). When he tested again in July (and the test accounts for the fact that he is a grade older) He is now ahead in 1 category, at level in 3 categories, and behind in 1. I think that is a good catch up for 18 months.

If you really want your kid to be a math superstar, you probably want to look at a more challenging program (and there are a lot out there).

If you want a decent program, that is going to keep your kid at level, be fun for them and not cause fights every time it is math time, with very little teaching effort on your part. TT is for you. It has worked great for our family.

ETA: Here is the review that someone mentioned earlier, it is on Nance's blog.

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/124221.html

Edited by Northwest_Mama
added

We used it two years in a row now and will be using it for a third year this fall. I love it. It's helped my daughter enjoy math more, understand math better, has freed me up significantly (although I'm still on hand if needed), and has significantly raised my daughter's standardized test scores.

TT is fine, BJU is better. Just telling you straight. Done them both, like them both.

The advantage for us, and why we currently use TT is because, well because it gets done, lol. It's more than that. We did hit the hormones/teen thing and needed something that could just get done. However it has turned out to be AMAZING for *her* because it does such a good job weaving in stories to engage her and get her brain going on the concepts. The spiral has been a nice change of pace for her also and bumped her computation scores to where they FINALLY are the same as her conceptual on standardized testing.

IF he's actually doing really well with the BJU, I wouldn't fiddle around with the old edition 6 videos. Do they have videos for the new edition 6? If they do, use that. If they don't, then teach the new edition 6 yourself. Where do you see this going after this? If you want him to continue in the BJU high school sequence, then I would do the new edition BJU6 and keep going. I don't think you're going to find it easy to go back and forth. That will vary with the student, but just saying. If you consider it a permanent change, then yes you could go to TT for this coming year.

Like I said, after 1 level of TT, dd is testing better than ever, very happy. Will it stay that way all through high school? No clue. Do I have trepidation? Yes. Do I know people form whom it has worked out well? Yes, absolutely. And you hear the opposite stories. BJU definitely covers more and is more rigorous for the mathematically minded. But putting a student through a harder curriculum DOESN'T ALWAYS GET BETTER RESULTS. And conversely not every student is going to come out of TT a National Merit Scholar just because someone else's kid did. It might be that dc was just particularly bright and good at applying basics that had been taught well, kwim?

Sorry that can't be more definite. It's all just how emphatic you are about the need for him to be independent. The one thing I'd be emphatic about is doing new edition 6, not old, if you want to keep going with BJU.

I said I would never use TT, and now I'm eating my words. I need something for my dd to work on independently, and she is not likely to need rigorous math in her future. So I'm happy to use the curriculum that is a good fit for her and smile sheepishly at the same time.

We're in our third year of using TT and love it. Indy loves to do math, which he NEVER did before we started TT. He's done 3,4 and started 5. We were originally going to start TT5 last year as soon as we got done with TT4 (he does 5-6 lessons a week), but since James Bond was getting ready to leave for Afghanistan we decided to just end math and concentrate on other subjects so we could finish up and spend more time with JB before he left. When Indy finishes TT5 this year we will move straight into TT6.

It drives me nuts that so many people rag on it for being "behind." You can use any level you want if your child tests into it. What's the big deal? As long as Indy is loving it and learning (which he is!) I'm happy.

I am looking for some help with math. I have a son who does very well at math. It is definitely not his favorite thing, though. We are either going to use BJU Math 6 with video teaching to free me a little to work with others, although I will still need to supervise him, OR I am considering using Teaching Textbooks 7. I have heard so much negative about TT, that it is behind, not a great curricula...

TT looks great to me! My son is an great independent learner...he is one who can learn with about any program. Can you offer any insight? Would you try TT or stick with BJU?

The BJU video of 6th grade needs to be updated badly. I wish they had done this years ago...just thought TT might be a more interesting way to go.

I'd so appreciate your thoughts.

I did use TT. Youngest is a math whiz, so I farmed his math out starting in 7th. Oldest used for middle school, and actually did TT Pre-Algebra in two weeks before beginning high school. Now a junior and straight A in math ever since, so it must not have hurt. She does not like math, btw.

Math is one of my favorite subjects to teach so I would be unlikely to get a curriculum that is largely intended for students to work through on their own. I am also an experienced math tutor through calculus so I am totally fine teaching math.

Also, while we have not used TT, I have found that he does no retain what he learns math wise from a computer- he "memorized" all his math facts using Timez Attack stuff and it went right out his ear.

We use TT. My oldest is using pre calc this year. We were not sure if he would end up in cs, so he did do Lial's Intermed Alg in 9th grade to cover some of the holes left between TT Alg 2 and precalc. I have compared ps texts to our TT. I have found little differences. Maybe we are just "average" homeschoolers. IDK. The year my ds did Lials he HATED math. He does not mind TT at all, even though he doesn't really like math much.

My dd(5th grade) is using TT7 this year. She has used Saxon since 1st grade a year ahead, so maybe I could say that Saxon is "behind" too?

Just buy the level they need. It's what I do with every element of their curriculum.

Maybe. *Definitely* do the placement test. I suspect that if he's ready for BJU6, TT7 would be below his current level. I think you will also find he's doing fewer problems total each day and with less depth if he does TT instead of BJU (and I'm not a particular BJU fan).

I use TT as a *supplement* for my child who struggles with math. I have her using a level that's 2 grades above her other math text (Horizons), and I still consider it the "easier" program. That said, it gives her additional practice each day with an endlessly patient "tutor". It's a good program for building confidence, and it fulfills a need. Personally, I would not use it alone. But I find it useful as a supplement.

We started using TT5 in 4th grade, along with MM4 as our main program, because I needed something dd could work on independently on Fridays when I have to work. At first she really liked it, but the novelty of working on the computer soon wore off, and she began noticing and commenting that the lessons in TT(5) were much less deep than the lessons in MM(4), and she felt like she wasn't really learning much. We started accelerating through it to try to get to something more challenging, but eventually decided to drop it - it's too expensive to be a supplement when you skip more than half of the level. Now she does Life of Fred as her independent math, instead, and is much happier.

Not trying to knock TT, just sharing our experience. . .

This was our experience too. Rebecca skipped about 2/3 of TT3 after completing CLE 200. She was using CLE 300 alongside TT, and we kept having to skip huge sections of TT4 even. Too much money for a useless supplement. JME.

TT is a great program and it definitely fills a niche in the homeschooling world. It's hard to compare to other math programs, but we love it here.

It's definitely "behind" if you take the placement test, but it's also just covering things in a different way. I'm not sure if it's the right program for a math whiz, but that's just my opinion :D.

My son did TT7 in 6th grade last year. This year he was going to take a co op class that

Taught BJU pre algebra. I did not think with tt7 he would have been ready for BJU pre algebra so instead he will be taking BJU math 7 fundamentals with the videos for 7th.