Menu

So what is a reasonable sized meal?

Breakfast today was:

1/2 cup scrambled eggs with onion and spinach

1/2 cup of fruit (three varieties of melon and blueberries)

1 slice of Dave's Good Seed Killer Bread, toasted

1 slice of uncured bacon

A homeschool mom I know says that's way too much food for her. She'd never be able to eat it all. She said the same thing about a dinner consisting of 1/2 of a hamburger patty and about 2 cups of salad made mostly of spring mix.

So, I'm wondering what constitutes reasonable-sized meal. Am I still eating way too much? Or does she just have a really tiny stomach?

ETA: added the "for her" to make her comments more clear

Edited by joannqn

Ok, the person who doesn't eat much just replied to my question about a day's sample menu. She doesn't eat breakfast or lunch. My breakfast listed in the OP is about how much dinner she would eat. I can't imagine how she would get enough nutrients with so little food.

No way is that too much food. I mean, if it fits within your diet guidelines. I wouldn't eat the toast or the fruit and would probably have more bacon. It looks to me like a lovely well planned and balanced breakfast.

And a burger patty with 2 c salad? That's a pretty typical meal for me on Atkins. Its fine for me but I do know plenty of people that would add cheese or 2 patties, etc.

She must eat like a bird.

Ok, the person who doesn't eat much just replied to my question about a day's sample menu. She doesn't eat breakfast or lunch. My breakfast listed in the OP is about how much dinner she would eat. I can't imagine how she would get enough nutrients with so little food.

If she isn't eating breakfast or lunch, she has a very poor understanding of what constitutes healthy eating.

Take her comments with the tiniest grain of salt, if you must take them at all.

That was annoying me to read LOL. And for the record I don't understand chewing raw oats :confused:.

It's fine. I could eat ten times that amount if I was starving but I know I shouldn't.

I eat when I am hungry which usually turns out to be a few times a day. I do not eat an early breakfast. I LOVE bacon!

That was annoying me to read LOL. And for the record I don't understand chewing raw oats :confused:.

It's fine. I could eat ten times that amount if I was starving but I know I shouldn't.

I eat when I am hungry which usually turns out to be a few times a day. I do not eat an early breakfast. I LOVE bacon!

I know the raw oat person in real life. She eats pretty darn well and is thin and petite. Her whole family is GF due to celiacs.

I don't always eat breakfast. I only eat it if I'm hungry. I find that if I eat breakfast (and it could be half a pound of steak, or several eggs with bacon, etc.) I'm hungrier sooner. I don't know why that is.

:iagree: Same here. OP, that is not too much food. That is healthy, and I would worry your friend has an eating disorder, or at least an unhealthy relationship with food. Or maybe she's just not a good cook.

I don't get raw oats either. I have to laugh though. DH puts them in a bowl and pours milk over them and eats them like that. He thought I was crazy for cooking them.

I've never even heard of it! I have known people to blend them in a drink.

It is obvious to me that the person to whom you are speaking is either mentally ill (not in touch with reality), lying, or anorexic (which you would be able to see if she is truly eating that little).

In any event, I'd keep my distance and not discuss food again with her. Ever. Unless it is in response to her request for help in finding professional help.

That sounds like a small, modest, healthy meal to me, fwiw. I eat much more than that. ;)

She probably doesn't. Your breakfast seems reasonable to me.

If she isn't eating breakfast or lunch, she has a very poor understanding of what constitutes healthy eating.

Take her comments with the tiniest grain of salt, if you must take them at all.

:iagree:

We all eat more than that here, even my 2yo most days. It sounds perfectly healthy to me.

I don't get raw oats either. I have to laugh though. DH puts them in a bowl and pours milk over them and eats them like that. He thought I was crazy for cooking them.

We eat oats this way for breakfast almost every day. We eat the rolled oats with raisins and sometimes slivered almonds or walnuts. We top it with almond milk and some fresh fruit. Oh, and usually a sprinkle of Grape Nuts too. Delicious!!!:001_smile:

edited to add: We eat LARGE portions here, although we don't generally eat animal products.

A woman who looks at another woman's food and says that she could never eat that much is not a nice person. It doesn't matter how much food is on the plate. She's still being a . . . not nice person.

(I was going to say one thing, then substituted "witch," but then remembered Audrey. :001_smile:)

SHe doesn't eat enough and like others said, probably has anorexia or some other mental problem. I agree about not discussing food with her.

Your breakfast sounds fine. I eat less for breakfast= normally just a yogurt but what you are eating seems a normal amount. I drink coffee with half and half and sugar throughout the day and that keeps me going.

Breakfast today was:

1/2 cup scrambled eggs with onion and spinach

1/2 cup of fruit (three varieties of melon and blueberries)

1 slice of Dave's Good Seed Killer Bread, toasted

1 slice of uncured bacon

A homeschool mom I know says that's way too much food for her. She'd never be able to eat it all. She said the same thing about a dinner consisting of 1/2 of a hamburger patty and about 2 cups of salad made mostly of spring mix.

So, I'm wondering what constitutes reasonable-sized meal. Am I still eating way too much? Or does she just have a really tiny stomach?

ETA: added the "for her" to make her comments more clear

Looks like a nice balanced breakfast. :001_smile: When I was on Weight Watchers that would have been a good breakfast. I think it is important to start your day out with a hearty breakfast. I've heard it's better to eat more earlier in the day so this looks great. I'm trying to limit carbs now so I can be satisfied with 1-2 eggs with 1-2 strips of bacon. That can last me for about 4 hours. I save the fruit for when I have sweet attacks.

I would consider that meal pretty small. I'm unlikely to eat bacon, but that is only 1/2 serving of fruit, and I typically eat a whole serving. I'd also tend to have more veges with my egg and a second slice of bread. (I typically eat the most carbs in the morning.) I lose weight eating as I just described.

I think your friend has a really tiny stomach or appetite or something!

I'm curious how many calories was that, it couldn't have been more than 500 was it? Even when not pregnant I generally eat at least 3 eggs for breakfast plus various other things. My pregnant self ate 4 eggs generously fried in coconut oil and grassfed butter on a slice of almond flour bread w/ a big pat of butter and a very small smear of fruit spread this morning. I was not stuffed at all. If I would have had bacon I could have easily ate 3 slices or so.

1. Her comment is on a forum so I would be skeptical on how truthful she is. People with eating disorders usually hide it, not flaunt it (online or not).

2. That doesn't seem to be an unreasonable amount of food IMO. As long as you feel satisfied and aren't stuffed when you eat next, you should be fine.

I'm curious how many calories was that, it couldn't have been more than 500 was it?

I just calculated it. It was about 400 calories.

I calculated the carbs earlier at approximately 31 carbs. The carbs interest me because my newly diabetic father was told he had to eat 60 carbs per meal (x3) and 15 carbs per snack. I will have to find extra carbs to add to his meals when he visits.

Edited by joannqn

I just calculated it. It was about 400 calories. I calculated the carbs earlier at approximately 31 carbs.

So, she is telling you she eats less than 400 calories a day, insane.

Fwiw I'm not against strategic fasting or limiting meal times, etc. I think it can work well for some and I do it at times myself (when not pregnant!!!!). However, to consistently eat such limited food is extremely unhealthy and in the realm of food disorder.

I have a friend who does this sometimes. She was telling me here while back about how she had noticed when she calculated her calories she had a several day spread where she was eating 300-400 calories a day. She did not however think this was healthy. She has no metabolism and tends to put doing for others before everything else. She is also 125+ lbs overweight. She is working on eating more actually and is losing weight as obviously it isn't healthy to eat so little. She is also just so used to getting everything done that she doesn't think about eating. When I'm with her sometimes I've noticed her shaking from low blood sugar as she forgets to eat(and I promptly tell her to eat something!!!), so she has started to set her alarm on her phone to remind herself. Again however, anyone who thinks it is desirable, good or healthy to eat that is certainly in the eating disorder category.

She has disordered eating habits. Ignore her pattern in favor of healthy meals which each total about 25% of your daily target for calories and you will be fine. I usually figure my three meals are about 75-80% of my food for the day and the balance is from high nutrient snacking.

Oh, and I would be willing to guess that a woman who says she eats like that is (if she is not just a liar) following up that dinner with a crappy late night snack. Not eating breakfast and lunch is often linked with late night eating because they wake up stuffed. I went though a period of depression where I ate little in the day, a normal dinner and then ate against out of sheer starvation and habit later at night. I knew it was lousy for me but I was at a low point. You can not exist forever on that fe calories so she is getting it in somehow/somewhere.

Edited by kijipt

She has disordered eating habits. Ignore her pattern in favor of healthy meals which total about 25% of your daily target for calories and you will be fine.

Yes, and my mother told me that the right amount of calories is about 15 calories for every pound of body weight. (Or, presumably, for every pound of target body weight?) I suppose she read that somewhere. I didn't verify it. I'm working with a trainer, and my calorie intake goal is set at 1600 a day and 1800-2000 on the days I work out. I don't think I could even function on 400 calories a day.