Menu

Non-Apple MP3 player recommendations?

Does anyone have one they really love? We're slowly accumulating a lot of Jim Weiss MP3 albums and I'd like a simple-to-use player for my kindergartener to have at bedtime. I don't know if it makes a difference, but we purchase all of our digital media through Amazon.

Thanks in advance!

I have an 8GB Sansa MP3 player. DD11 had a 2GB Sansa Clip from the time she was about 3yo - they really are that easy to use. Last year, we upgraded her to a 4GB one because all of her books wouldn't fit on the 2GB. Sansa players are really easy and pretty durable.

I have an 8GB Sansa MP3 player. DD11 had a 2GB Sansa Clip from the time she was about 3yo - they really are that easy to use. Last year, we upgraded her to a 4GB one because all of her books wouldn't fit on the 2GB. Sansa players are really easy and pretty durable.

How are the headphones (earbuds?)? Did you need to get different ones or are you happy with the ones that came with it? Did you go for any of the accessory kits?

The Sansa players use standard headphones. When DD was little, I bought her a pair of regular child-size headphones that she used all the time. Now that she is older, she prefers the over-the-ear loop style because they don't slip off.

We also had a little pair of speakers that DD could plug her Sansa into and play it out loud.

I'd be nervous about giving a k-er ear buds. Over-the-ear foam covered headphones would let you better hear if the volume is too high.

Take a look at the SweetPea3. It's the best of the lot designed for kids. Otherwise the suggestions here are all good. Does anyone in your family have an old, disconnected smartphone (ebay is also a good source)? These all have built-in players. My old DROID X would be great for this purpose. Smartphones have the added advantage of built-in WiFi for downloads.

Edited by nmoira

I'd be nervous about giving a k-er ear buds. Over-the-ear foam covered headphones would let you better hear if the volume is too high.

Take a look at the SweetPea3. It's the best of the lot designed for kids. Otherwise the suggestions here are all good. Does anyone in your family have an old, disconnected smartphone (ebay is also a good source)? These all have built-in players. My old DROID X would be great for this purpose. Smartphones have the added advantage of built-in WiFi for downloads.

I was thinking of getting these kid headphones with built-in volume control. No old smartphones, though. We're still trucking along with dumbphones. :D

My only concern with the SweetPea would be that it can only hold 2 GB. Looking at the Sansa Clip Zip, it has a microSD slot so I could have more organizational control over audiobooks, MP3s and period-specific music. It looks like it's Audible.com compatible also. I haven't taken the plunge there yet, but I think it will be in the cards eventually.

(Someday, when our current Tracphone minutes are used up, we'll have to take the smartphone plunge!)

I have sansa clip +.

The earbuds are somewhat flimsy. I use larger headphones with them. (Actually it's my kids who use them.)

I had one die -- apparently it's fairly common where the battery wiring comes detached. I can access everything on it when it's plugged into the computer, but it doesn't hold a charge so it's not really usable (unless you want to sit next to a computer all day long).

I use micro sd cards.

I can tell you, my kids do NOT baby these things. So they do hold up.

our kids each have a sansa fuse - we wanted a lot of space and video capability as well. It isn't the easiest for me to use (cause I am old) but by techno savvy kids have had no problem figuring it out :tongue_smilie:

As for headphones - 2 of my boys prefer earbuds (they don't last very long so when they die I go to TJ Maxx and get skull candy ones to replace them). My other 2 prefer regular headphones - Toys r us carries cute ones and Lake Shore Learning has really great kid sized headphones. Amazon has some precious ones as well.

I ordered a plastic hard case for our fuse's on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Transparent-Clear-Crystal-SanDisk-Sansa/dp/B001ECP666/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345431397&sr=8-1&keywords=sansa+fuse+case - it has helped the wear and tear tremendously.

Lastly, to personalize them I ordered skins from http://www.skinit.com - made great stocking stuffers.