Menu

Record keeping for 8th grader taking Jacobs Algebra?

If I want to count this year of Algebra, what kinds of records do I need to keep? How do I calculate his grade? Does he keep track of the hours he spends working? I have soooo much respect for you ladies! The thought of keeping up with high school courses/credits etc. overwhelms me! :tongue_smilie:

ETA: you should delete the double post, so all people answer in the same thread.

If I want to count this year of Algebra, what kinds of records do I need to keep?

Know what topics have been covered. Easiest: keep a copy of the table of content of the book. Also keep book name, author, edition.

How do I calculate his grade?

There are many different ways to do that.

Some people grade daily work, give quizzes, test and a final. Including daily work usually leads to higher grade, because lack of long term retention is not as noticeable.

Other people give a handful of tests throughout the year and average those, but do not grade daily work.

And then there is the other end of the spectrum: I give one cumulative final exam per semester to test long term cumulative mastery and retention and base the course grade solely on this.

You are completely free to choose how you want to handle it.

Does he keep track of the hours he spends working? I

If your state does not require it, no. For subjects like math, there is a certain "canon" of material that has to be covered to deserve the credit, typically the content of a standard textbook.

I still have my students keep track of the hours they spend because we do not have a rigid schedule and this is a way to make sure they have enough time on task.