Menu

I'm going AWOL for a week

I'm going to be busy today packing up our family for a week long Bible camp. Tomorrow we'll leave directly from church to drive 3 hours to the camp. I'm all ready to teach 10 hours of Bible lessons to 9 - 12 year olds. My husband is still working on his lessons for the teens and adults. His work schedule makes him often have to be doing things down to the wire.

I didn't think I was nervous about this. I love to teach. I've taught at this camp before and so I know what I'm getting into. I will have almost double the number of kids in my class that I had last year though. That will provide some logistical challenges. Perhaps that prompted my dreams last night. I dreamed that it was time for our first lesson and all my notes were gone! There was lots of panicked shuffling through my backpack looking for my materials. The dream morphed into the surreal when Howie Mandel arrived in a top-hat to help me get ready. . . I think I've been watching too much AGT!

Tomorrow I get to meet with my co-teacher. She will do all the crafts and activities with the kids during our sessions. Communication hasn't been her strong suit so seeing what she's got planned will go a long way to alleviating some of my stress, I think.

Teaching at a camp with my physical concerns can be a bit challenging. Last year I had what could only be described as a cascade inflammatory response to all the carbs in camp food. I was in so much pain that I literally had to prop myself up for my two hour-long teaching sessions and had to be helped back to the cabin after each session to rest. This year the stress of hot weather and all the preparations has sent me into a fibro flare. I can't pay any attention to the flare though because of all that I have to do. Of course there is a fine line there because there is a point beyond where I just can't push my body anymore.

I'm hoping that once I'm there the parts I love, interacting with the kids, singing silly camp songs along with the uplifting praise songs, being out under the trees, connecting with old friends and making new ones will banish all my pain. If not, I'll just soldier on because while I'm AWOL from here, I'm not AWOL from what I think God wants me to be doing.

I'm going to be busy today packing up our family for a week long Bible camp. Tomorrow we'll leave directly from church to drive 3 hours to the camp. I'm all ready to teach 10 hours of Bible lessons to 9 - 12 year olds. My husband is still working on his lessons for the teens and adults. His work schedule makes him often have to be doing things down to the wire.

I didn't think I was nervous about this. I love to teach. I've taught at this camp before and so I know what I'm getting into. I will have almost double the number of kids in my class that I had last year though. That will provide some logistical challenges. Perhaps that prompted my dreams last night. I dreamed that it was time for our first lesson and all my notes were gone! There was lots of panicked shuffling through my backpack looking for my materials. The dream morphed into the surreal when Howie Mandel arrived in a top-hat to help me get ready. . . I think I've been watching too much AGT!

Or too much Thomas the Tank Engine. :D

Tomorrow I get to meet with my co-teacher. She will do all the crafts and activities with the kids during our sessions. Communication hasn't been her strong suit so seeing what she's got planned will go a long way to alleviating some of my stress, I think.

Teaching at a camp with my physical concerns can be a bit challenging. Last year I had what could only be described as a cascade inflammatory response to all the carbs in camp food. I was in so much pain that I literally had to prop myself up for my two hour-long teaching sessions and had to be helped back to the cabin after each session to rest. This year the stress of hot weather and all the preparations has sent me into a fibro flare. I can't pay any attention to the flare though because of all that I have to do. Of course there is a fine line there because there is a point beyond where I just can't push my body anymore.

I'm hoping that once I'm there the parts I love, interacting with the kids, singing silly camp songs along with the uplifting praise songs, being out under the trees, connecting with old friends and making new ones will banish all my pain. If not, I'll just soldier on because while I'm AWOL from here, I'm not AWOL from what I think God wants me to be doing.

Have a great time. I know He will meet you where you are at. I will be praying for you and your family. See you when you get back. :grouphug:

Hope you have a great week and can keep comfortable. :grouphug: We'll try to behave while you're gone! :D

That's no fun! But I want a kerfluffle report waiting in my PM box for when I get back!

What a gorgeous attitude!

(Was Howie wearing a kilt with the top hat?)

No... it was a purple suit. Of course that seemed perfectly normal at the time. . .

I hope you are feeling better, and that you bring your own food to camp if it is necessary to keeping you well -- or at least as well as you started out.

I'm glad you'll be gone for a week. It'll give me time to catch up to your post count! :D:auto:

I'll be praying for you, and I hope you'll have a great time.

I hope you are feeling better, and that you bring your own food to camp if it is necessary to keeping you well -- or at least as well as you started out.

I'm glad you'll be gone for a week. It'll give me time to catch up to your post count! :D:auto:

I'll be praying for you, and I hope you'll have a great time.

I have peanut butter, crackers, tuna and chicken salad in aceptic containers, almond milk and some cereal.

I have peanut butter, crackers, tuna and chicken salad in aceptic containers, almond milk and some cereal.

Oh, yum! (Said sarcastically.)

Did I tell you I have gained 10 lbs. so far this summer? I'm going on a diet on Monday. The culprit is the 3 DQ's in town that keep selling me Peanut Buster Parfaits! Yeah, yeah. I know I didn't mention those. The problem is that every time I think about them, I can't remember the last time I had one, so I go get another one, forget about it, and the cycle continues. Either that, or my scale finally broke on the wrong number. Hmm... probably it is a broken scale problem.

BUT the dog has gained 5 lbs and has to go on a diet with me! I told the vet that he won't eat breakfast unless I tantalize him by adding an egg, some cheese, or some meat to his food. But since I stopped doing that a few days ago, he only eats at night. She looked at me like I had 2 heads and asked me why I would try to entice an overweight dog to eat! That made sense, strangely, so I started babbling on about how I am a mother and I cannot stand by and watch my dog starve ... and around that time I shut up.

So Aidan is now a 55 lb. dog and I am going to be strict with both of us. He doesn't like rabbit food, so at least I won't have to share my food with him any more, and he won't be getting his ice-cream at DQ either. He has a daily calorie limit now, and so will I.

Edited by RoughCollie

Oh, yum!

(Did I tell you I have gained 10 lbs. so far this summer. I'm going on a diet on Monday. The culprit is the 3 DQ's in town that keep selling me Peanut Buster Parfaits! Either that, or my scale finally broke on the wrong number.)

How dare they sell you those parfaits! I'll totally get on their case for you. Amazingly, I'm not losing any more weight but I haven't gained any back either.

How dare they sell you those parfaits! I'll totally get on their case for you. Amazingly, I'm not losing any more weight but I haven't gained any back either.

You should come and spend a week with Aidan and me. We'll whip you into shape! You can run around all the bookcases at the office with us. One circuit is 1/12 of a mile. The only problem is Aidan will, while running at top speed, either grab a 2' in diameter roll of bubble wrap (which unrolls as he runs) or a book off the shelf. He does that to encourage me to run faster.

Oh, I also didn't tell you that I bought some organic coconut oil. Don't you use that? I've read about it enough on here, and even though I don't remember why it's supposed to be good for you, I'm using it. I like to watch it melt. It doesn't taste anything like coconut, but it makes me feel like I'm doing a Good Thing, even though I don't know why. I don't go crazy with the stuff; it's not making anyone here fat.

Edited by RoughCollie

Oh, I also didn't tell you that I bought some organic coconut oil. Don't you use that? I've read about it enough on here, and even though I don't remember why it's supposed to be good for you, I'm using it. I like to watch it melt. It doesn't taste anything like coconut, but it makes me feel like I'm doing a Good Thing, even though I don't know why. I don't go crazy with the stuff; it's not making anyone here fat.

Not to butt into your conversation with Jean, but have you ever tried this coconut oil? It's yummy (organic also) and smells and tastes like coconut. :)

Not to butt into your conversation with Jean, but have you ever tried this coconut oil? It's yummy (organic also) and smells and tastes like coconut. :)

No, I haven't. I love the taste of coconut, so thanks for telling me about it.

Can you also tell me why using coconut oil is a Good Thing? Yeah, I could look it up, but if you know, please spill the beans. I may as well hijack Jean's thread -- she's gone to bed.

Edited by RoughCollie

No, I haven't. I love the taste of coconut, so thanks for telling me about it.

Can you also tell me why using coconut oil is a Good Thing? Yeah, I could look it up, but if you know, please spill the beans. I may as well hijack Jean's thread -- she's gone to bed.

It's a healthy fat something about shorter chains or something? It has lots of good stuff for the memory and brain and I think the heart too. :)

One last thing before I hit the shower and we're off and running.

I know that it is paradoxical, but I was so tired that I was vibrating for half the night. I don't think I was even able to doze until 2 am. I'm starting this whole thing out on the wrong foot - from a point of utter exhaustion. But I guess I don't have any choice. It's not like I can say that I'm going to rest for a couple of days and then show up. Here goes nothing!

(And yes, I will rest every chance I have.) But I'm not sure it will be today. I have a meeting shortly after I get there today. And even though technically my responsibility is only for two hour lessons, kids being kids and the staff being stretched thin, I will have to jump in to help wherever I'm needed.

I know it sounds like I'm being a drama queen or complaining. I actually love doing this. It's just that I goofed colossally by thinking that I could push myself on other goals at the same time leading up to this. Finding balance and knowing when to push and when to back off is not my strong-point. I either back off to the point of slacking and making myself sicker by not moving enough or I push to the point of exhaustion. Since pushing to the point of exhaustion doesn't take me much past my daily required regimen, it's hard to get any progress around here. Since dh pushes himself the same way, I guess you could say we're a matched set.

Have fun!!! i am going to go HOG WILD misbehaving while you're gone!!!:lol::lol::lol:

I was just reading about Zyflamend for inflammation. I also know turmeric/curcumin are also good for it. Maybe check it out? I'm sure you already have.

HEY HIVE FRIENDS!!! How about a posting party while Jean is gone???:party:

I don't believe you. Intentions, yes, follow-through, no. You already know what I think. Do I have to put on my Jean Nags Better Than Anyone hat so I can make my point more clearly? It would serve you right! :-)

Neener, neener, neener! I'm going to be out of internet range!

(And yes, ma'am, I will do my best. You don't expect me to do better than my best, do you?)

Have fun!!! i am going to go HOG WILD misbehaving while you're gone!!!:lol::lol::lol:

I was just reading about Zyflamend for inflammation. I also know turmeric/curcumin are also good for it. Maybe check it out? I'm sure you already have.

HEY HIVE FRIENDS!!! How about a posting party while Jean is gone???:party:

I have tumeric/curcumin packed. Don't know about the other thing.

I've already asked for a Kerfluffle report in my PM box, so do your best!

Neener, neener, neener! I'm going to be out of internet range!

(And yes, ma'am, I will do my best. You don't expect me to do better than my best, do you?)

As I am fond of telling slackers who say they did their best: Your best is not good enough! :auto:

(Although you are not a slacker. That is the problem - you don't slack enough!)