Menu

Algebra I options for struggling math student

Help! We are a week into 9th grade now, and I still don't have math figured out!! My daughter has done mostly Math-u-see (elementary) and Teaching Textbooks (middle school) along with some of the Key To . . books. To say she dislikes math is an understatement. I need something that is easy to teach (video-based preferably) and not overwhelming. The two I am looking at are Teaching Textbooks and Math Relief. Which would you recommend under these circumstances? Or is there something else out there I don't know about?

TIA!

I've been using MUS Algebra I for my math struggler, but she won't go near a program that's on the computer and doesn't want anything to do with math videos either.

She is almost done with MUS Algebra I. My plan now is to move on to MUS Geometry, but also add in the Key to Algebra booklets for extra review and to go in a little more depth. I know that MUS Geometry is going to review algebra, but it isn't going to be in any more depth than it has already covered and I know that Key to goes deeper. I'm also fine with taking two years to go through Key to Algebra and MUS Geometry together. I just don't know yet if my dd will agree to working through Key to Algebra along with MUS Geometry.

Help! We are a week into 9th grade now, and I still don't have math figured out!! My daughter has done mostly Math-u-see (elementary) and Teaching Textbooks (middle school) along with some of the Key To . . books. To say she dislikes math is an understatement. I need something that is easy to teach (video-based preferably) and not overwhelming. The two I am looking at are Teaching Textbooks and Math Relief. Which would you recommend under these circumstances? Or is there something else out there I don't know about?

TIA!

My new top contender, Tablet Class Math, http://tabletclass.com/homeschool/overview.aspx

You can sign up for a free trial to try it. Lectures for each lesson, lots of practice problems, and video solutions for each problem. The creator is also very accessible by phone or email for questions.

Good luck,

Beck

Never heard of that one. Will check it out, thanks!

My new top contender, Tablet Class Math, http://tabletclass.com/homeschool/overview.aspx

You can sign up for a free trial to try it. Lectures for each lesson, lots of practice problems, and video solutions for each problem. The creator is also very accessible by phone or email for questions.

Good luck,

Beck

That sounds like a good plan. She did kind of like the Key to books when we were using them (or at least she didn't hate them! lol). The only reason I say video-based is I don't remember enough of Algebra myself to teach it to her, but if I watch the videos myself then I can help her if needed. We used TT Prealgebra last year and while it was 'ok' she complained about it a lot (annoying voice, not enough review, etc) so that is why I'm looking around a bit. I know she's not going to *love* anything she does for math but I want it to be as painless as possible.

Thanks, everyone, for all your suggestions!!

I've been using MUS Algebra I for my math struggler, but she won't go near a program that's on the computer and doesn't want anything to do with math videos either.

She is almost done with MUS Algebra I. My plan now is to move on to MUS Geometry, but also add in the Key to Algebra booklets for extra review and to go in a little more depth. I know that MUS Geometry is going to review algebra, but it isn't going to be in any more depth than it has already covered and I know that Key to goes deeper. I'm also fine with taking two years to go through Key to Algebra and MUS Geometry together. I just don't know yet if my dd will agree to working through Key to Algebra along with MUS Geometry.

We were disappointed with TT Algebra 1. If MUS is no longer an option, you could try that new one that was mentioned.

MUS was great for one of my dc, but she did it with another program. My ds hit a brick wall at one point, too.

Something you may wish to consider adding for a student who struggles with math is Hands On Equations. http://www.borenson.com/