Menu

Frustrated with Kaiser

Stupid Kaiser will not refer me for acupuncture for low hip/back pain.

I am about to have a mental health breakdown.

My chiropractor and midwife (outside of Kaiser) recommends it.

But Kaiser won't.

My pelvic pain is killing me and they just want to throw narcotics at me.

Maternity belts, ice, everything not helping.

I am so frustrated. Research says acupuncture safe during pregnancy.

Edited by happycc

Have you checked prices for acupuncturists? Ours is on the high end, $75 per visit, but I hear from my ESL students that those who cater more to the immigrant community are significantly less expensive, as in $25 or $30 per session. One of my Korean students was told that she needed shoulder surgery, but her $30 Chinese acupuncturist cured her.

Terri

Are they refusing coverage because they don't believe it's safe during pregnancy, or because they don't cover non-medical procedures? The former is pretty silly, but the latter is understandable.

I'm pretty sure it's the latter -- acupuncture doesn't fall within their realm. I was w/ Kaiser when I had acupuncture done during fertility treatments. Both treatments -- acupuncture and fertility -- were handled on a private pay basis.

Alley

there is a 25% discount program for alternative care through Kaiser. Called We Choose or something like that. This is northern california Kaiser.

But they want to throw narcotics at me. They are so so ridiculous. I hate them right now. I really do!

I give up on them.

That is why I refuse to have a baby in their facility. I get all the prenatal labs done etc. but deliver at home. They are probably punishing me because this will be the fourth baby I have done that to them.

there is a 25% discount program for alternative care through Kaiser. Called We Choose or something like that. This is northern california Kaiser.

But they want to throw narcotics at me. They are so so ridiculous. I hate them right now. I really do!

I give up on them.

That is why I refuse to have a baby in their facility. I get all the prenatal labs done etc. but deliver at home. They are probably punishing me because this will be the fourth baby I have done that to them.

Can you call and discuss it with the accupuncturist? Maybe they can help with the referral from their side.

i'm sorry. kaiser has been great for us, but as with any organization, we've had a couple of difficulties, too.

have you spoken with one of their patient advocates? i'm thinking you could explain your request and the response and about why you don't understand the refusal. i would leave out the home birth stuff completely. just go in with a list of potential side effects from the narcotics, and the name of the acupuncturist you would like to see, and some research showing it helps (which you may not need), and ask for help. if you have other young children at home for whom you are responsible, documenting how the narcotic effects you may help, too. ie. you're more likely to get a positive response if you frame it in the "i tried it and it doesn't work for me for these reasons" fashion.

it may be something as simple as the doctors needing to account for why they are costing the company money, and doing it thru the patient advocate may make it more likely, as they may have different guidelines.

on the other hand, when i'm pregnant, i don't have that much emotional energy; i would just pay for it myself rather than fight them on it. but you may be different.

:grouphug: i'm sorry you're in pain.

ann

My DH gets acupuncture covered by Kaiser; he went through the pain management program first, which is long (6 weeks of classes I believe). Also, we're in SoCa, and I think the coverage/program is slightly different? But, it is completely covered, the prescription just needs to be renewed every month, can you ask to be transferred to the pain management department (it is a separate department here)?

HTH, Good luck,

Why do you need a referral if all you would get is a 25% discount? Our acupuncturist gives at least that to cash patients anyway. I wouldn't get all "I hate Kaiser" over a 25% discount, but perhaps I don't understand what you get out of a referral. I have never heard of an acupuncturist requiring a medical referral, either--that seems very un-alternative.

Terri