Menu

AAS2 how much time to go through for good speller?

OrganicMom

We spent 3 or 4 weeks on level 1, 8 weeks on level 2, and level 3 would have been 4 months if we'd done it consistently and stuck with it (we baled halfway through, eventually ending up with R&S Spelling, which is proving to work very well for him). Level 1 and 2 were done the 2nd half of first grade, and level 3 was in second grade.

DS is not a natural speller, but he is a good speller once he learns how to spell a word. He usually has to write it a couple times, see why it's spelled like it is (or know that it's a rule breaker), and then he's good to go.

We spent 3 or 4 weeks on level 1, 8 weeks on level 2, and level 3 would have been 4 months if we'd done it consistently and stuck with it (we baled halfway through, eventually ending up with R&S Spelling, which is proving to work very well for him). Level 1 and 2 were done the 2nd half of first grade, and level 3 was in second grade.

DS is not a natural speller, but he is a good speller once he learns how to spell a word. He usually has to write it a couple times, see why it's spelled like it is (or know that it's a rule breaker), and then he's good to go.

Did you go through the Homophones book?

oh wow! thank you! I started having a hunch that maybe my original plan of only doing level 2 this year was going to be sped up. :) just changed my shopping cart! :D

probably wise to have it all there. For reference, SL sells AAS and doesn't charge shipping over $25. I was glad for that when last year we finished one so quickly, I ordered 2, then finished that and had to order 3! For first grade we went through part of 3, but then took such a break for summer, we actually started 3 over this year...but in 2 weeks we are almost right back to where we were.

Just to offer a different approach, I have a daughter born in late 10/2005 who is about a third of the way through AAS Level 2. We are on track to take pretty much the entire year to do it. It's possible we'll finish near the end of the year, but if so it will be late spring.

Just my opinion, but if a student is working at grade level with AAS (ie, not doing it remedially), I think there is just too much great stuff in each lesson to zip through it in a day or two.

We carefully review on a regular basis . . . I have my daughter write all the extra words . . . we do ALL the dictation phrases and sentences . . . and we read the story out of the reader as extra reading practice.

Since my daughter still has a very age appropriate short attention span, we obviously can't do all that in one or two sessions. So we typically do AAS four times a week, 10-15 minutes a session, and it takes around 1.5 weeks to get through a step.

Just to offer a different approach, I have a daughter born in late 10/2005 who is about a third of the way through AAS Level 2. We are on track to take pretty much the entire year to do it. It's possible we'll finish near the end of the year, but if so it will be late spring.

Just my opinion, but if a student is working at grade level with AAS (ie, not doing it remedially), I think there is just too much great stuff in each lesson to zip through it in a day or two.

We carefully review on a regular basis . . . I have my daughter write all the extra words . . . we do ALL the dictation phrases and sentences . . . and we read the story out of the reader as extra reading practice.

Since my daughter still has a very age appropriate short attention span, we obviously can't do all that in one or two sessions. So we typically do AAS four times a week, 10-15 minutes a session, and it takes around 1.5 weeks to get through a step.

This is good to know in my planning. Thank you.

We don't have the readers, but other than that, I agree here. We do everything in the book. We do the lesson on Monday. The rest of the week is spent doing the words, phrases, and sentences. If you were doing it remedially, I'd expect that it wouldn't be necessary to do it all. But using it at about grade level, I find that it's best for us to break it up throughout the week and cover all the words in the lesson.

ETA: my son is 11/2005 and we are halfway through level 2.

Looking over a borrowed copy of the teachers manual level 2, my daughter could probably spell most words correctly, if given a test, without studying them first. would that be remedial? :)

Not remedial . . . just sounds like your daughter might be a natural speller! :) So maybe she will go through things more quickly.

Even so, there is some great stuff in AAS Level 2. Unless you're already covering dictation elsewhere, you might want to seriously consider doing the dictation phrases and sentences. It's a great way to practice so many skills!

Sounds like it might be smart to go ahead and order Level 3, and then just get to it whenever your daughter finishes up Level 2.

We're just starting Level 2, did Level 1 in about 6 weeks. I expect to take about 3 months on Level 2, and then slow it down when we hit Level 3 - I have a 01/06 little guy, and I love the AAS system but we're late to starting it so I wanted to cover all the basics but we are trying to catch up to where he should be. And we don't skip material, we do the dictates and all the suggested words, etc. But the words are just no challenge to him yet. HOWEVER - remembering the new rules and applying them critically to words he knows? That's what we're gaining by going through these first levels!