Menu

spelling help needed for 15 yr old

My DD is 15 and a voracious reader. Spelling is another story all together. I had her write out our grocery list and was simply amazed by what she could not spell. (She was home with me for 7th grade and is coming home this year for 10th).

Her reasoning for frute was it sounds like a flute.

I am not sure what curriculum is out there to help poor spellers?

Hive what do you suggest? I am not familiar with a lot of curriculum so could you please spell the name out? I have come across many acronyms of curriculum like HTTS, LOE and Kiss but I have no idea what those letters stand for.

I am all :bigear:

My DD is 15 and a voracious reader. Spelling is another story all together.

My DD17 is very much like this. I used Sequential Spelling 1 & 2 these past two years -- it helped a lot. She will never be a good speller. But she is definitely a better speller now.

I just looked it up on Rainbow Resource and things have changed since I bought it -- it has been revised and now a dvd is offered!

oh thank you. I am reading about this program. Do you think I could use the adult version of the program for her? I am thinking she might could go through that one...but if I start with level 1 we could doit with her 10 yr old sister too I guess....

Any more thoughts?

I'm trying "Apples Daily Spelling Drills for Secondary Students" for my 14 year old ds. I've used Spelling Power and Sequential Spelling intermittently over the years. The disadvantage to them as my ds gets older is that it requires a person to give the tests, and isn't really self-directed. I was looking for something he could do independently, and I like the way this repeats the spelling/phonics rules. Just one page a day, so it's not onerous and doesn't feel like a lot of work.

My DD17 is very much like this. I used Sequential Spelling 1 & 2 these past two years -- it helped a lot. She will never be a good speller. But she is definitely a better speller now.

I just looked it up on Rainbow Resource and things have changed since I bought it -- it has been revised and now a dvd is offered!

:iagree:

My son is 15 and I started with SS1 with DVD. I generally look over the lists and see if he can skip some sections. When he doesn't know how to spell a word, I let him start that series of 4. The DVDs are great because you wouldn't have to learn how to teach the program and the student can do it themselves. He does it first thing in the morning, every single day.

As far as the adult series, you could use it, but you'd have to teach it since there aren't any DVDs to go with it. I think it is similar but a little faster. That's why I just let him skip sections in the regular series.

oh thank you for your input. I have much to research. I have heard that spelling power could be used for both girls?

Thank you all again

FWIW, my son did not do good with Spelling Power. He'd forget how to spell the words on the list after a week or two.

I guess it depends on what type of problem she is having and how much of her high school time you want to dedicate to spelling. SS takes about 5-10 minutes a day.

DD, 14, has always struggled with spelling. She improved alot with the first two books of Sequential Spelling, but last year we switched to Phonetic Zoo because she can do that on her own. After the placement test, she had to start at the A level, but that has been good for her. She is a little over halfway through the A level lessons, mostly because I didn't stay on her to complete the work last year.

I like that when she gets to the B and C levels, the lessons will review all of the same rules with more difficult words (e.g., multi-syllables...).

Good luck!

My 15yods has always struggled with spelling. After trying many different spelling methods, we've finally settled on a combination that seems to be making a difference. He's working through the Megawords series (keeping a composition book of the rules that are presented) and we're doing daily dictation using Dictation Day by Day (which is a free vintage book you can find online - also the source for HOD's spelling dictation program).

The combination seems to be working well together and doesn't require a lot of time.