Menu

Can you do TOG and still have time for non-history related literature?

redquilthorse

Can TOG be done and still have time for writing and literature that is not historical fiction? I really want my kids to have time to read literature that isn't tied into our history curriculum. And we are using Bravewriter, so I don't need writing. But I keep coming back to TOG for various reasons. Is TOG too much?

Add to this a second question: does TOG work with science oriented kids? I have 5 kids, but my oldest is a science and math kid. So far, history has been a big bust for us (not with TOG).

I think I almost want TOG light. Is that possible? I want the teacher notes, activities, living books. But I don't want my life to revolve around history. Is there something else like that? I'm not crazy about SOTW, either, which I know makes this decision tough.

ETA: My 5 kids are 5th, 2nd, K, preschool and toddler.

Edited by redquilthorse

I certainly think you can. I'm sure you've seen TOG referred to as a "buffet." You choose which resources you want to utilize. Right now, my 6yo reads all of the lower grammar and upper grammar books listed, both primary and alternate, and still has lots of time left over.

Absolutely YES to the question in your title! One "problem" with TOG is that some people have a hard time saying no to so many good things. This is either because you spent the money, so you better get your $$ worth type thinking or if you have the type of personality where you feel like you Must Do Everything. If you can handle saying no this is exactly how I use TOG. (Well, have been using for the past 3 years and am missing TOG this year:)) I plan to continue using it this way for the long haul.

I don't want history to be a monster that consumes our entire day. We love science and math around here just as much as we love history and lit, but TOG has everything I am looking for in a history program. I just cut down to what I feel is reasonable. If you check out the ages in my siggy, you will see that I haven't btdt, but I see no reason why TOG can't be cut back to whatever you want it to be.

This will be my first year using TOG but I have been in the prep mode for a few weeks. I have an UG student like your 5th grader and I can say that it is not that intense for her as compared to my high school student. The wonderful thing about TOG is that you as the teacher choose what your children will do. The lap books for younger kids helps keep them interested and provides a great keepsake of what they have studied (my friends daughter did this and that is part of the reason we picked TOG this year...and the discussion time for my older daughter too)

I just listened to the lesson planning 101 teachers DVD and I have to tell you it was great and awesome and wonderfully encouraging material. She really supports you as the teacher selecting what works for you and your family....

all that to say YES, I believe you can. They have a sample 2 weeks you can try or you might find a unit someone is selling you could try also. My kids are very excited to be studying pyramids this year. My daughter 10 yr old wants to make a paper mache mummy...lol sounds messy to me but fun to her.

Yup.

This is exactly how I used it for the last couple months of last year. I was trying to decide (after 6 awesome years with Sonlight) how to get all that I love about TOG (four year cycle, deep discussion questions, lit analysis, Teacher's notes) and still do the awesome reading we always have with Sonlight (we love science and other things here as well). I just go through the week plan and have found it it pretty easy to see what will be enough and what will be too much.

This year I am excited because it won't be a big experiment anymore. I know how to do it the way I want to so now I am looking forward to it!

Good luck!

A friend does TOG lite and loved the result. They used a different writing curriculum, are a math/science intensive household, and switched out literature books regularly. It's worked very well for them. We're more of an all-out-TOG household now, but even then I'm changing literature selections. Some of TOG's selections make me go :001_huh: so I just substitute books that make me go :w00t:.

Thank you! This is all really helpful. I do want some crafts, but probably not a ton. My kids would rather do science experiments. I also don't have time to supplement or research a lot, and I need something with teacher's notes because I never studied world history. Ever. (Sad, I know. One night class in college that I now do not remember.)

I love the concept of TOG. I saw Marcia speak at a conference this summer and was totally ready to buy it RIGHT THEN. But then I backed off because I worried it would be just too much. I found Bravewriter and love it, and my kids love science. But if it can still be awesome if I use it just as a history course, then it might still be worth it to me, I think. Paring down would be easier for me than beefing up. I have it narrowed down to TOG and Biblioplan. But TOG keeps calling my name. :001_smile:

Now I just have to decide whether to start back at Y1 or jump in at Y3. We have not done much history here to this point. We did some Early American, then switched to SOTW 1 for a very brief period and really only made it to chapter 12. Then we switched back to American last year but had a crazy year and did not spend much time on it. We sort of made it to Lewis and Clark. So I could keep going with American, but it wouldn't be repeating too much to go back to Ancients. Decisions, decisions.....:001_rolleyes:

Paring down would be easier for me than beefing up. I have it narrowed down to TOG and Biblioplan. But TOG keeps calling my name. :001_smile:

Then definately the answer is yes. I have no problem paring down and subbing in when I want to. If I were a box checker that couldn't resist the urge to do everything it would be torture.

Yes! My signature says it all.

Melissa,

I saw your post in another thread and saw your here again:001_smile: I love Sonlight and did it for PreK, K and 1 before switching to SOTW, but still we still use SL read alouds and readers all the way. Now are are doing TOG 3 unit 4 and TOG Year 4. I wonder how you use TOG and Sonlight together. I don't have the coordinated book schedule for them.

The following question is for anyone who can help:

Also, how do you make TOG light? What do you choose to do and ot to do? I need some ideas. We (or I should say I) love languages and would like to spend ample time on the three we are studying. So we don't want TOG to dominate our day. Do your kids use and like TOG lapbooks? Do you use the evaluation?

Thanks! I am a new TOGer and need encouragement obviously.

I too am torn between TOG and Biblioplan, and would love to hear more pros and cons of each (especially from folks who have tried both!).

I do not feel I would use everything offered by TOG, so it is hard to justify the expense and extra planning time. However -- it gives me pause that Biblioplan seems to have significantly fewer users and recognition than TOG. I have heard of TOG for years, whereas I only learned of Biblioplan a few months ago. I guess my question is, if Biblioplan offers the best of TOG without the excess, why aren't more people using it?