Menu

A list of curriculum that "tell a story"

Jenny in GA

My nine year old is challenging to get curriculum for. She loves what she loves, but balks at what she doesn't love.

I realized today that she seemed to love ... a story. For example, she loves Life of Fred. She mostly loves MCT, especially the story parts. She loved loved loved The Sentence Family. Grammarland. Story of the World.

Now that I have finally figured this out ... what other curriculum is out there, in any and all subjects, that tells a story of some sort?

The Sir Cumference books

Penrose the Mathematical Cat (and other books along those lines)

What's Your Angle, Pythagoras? (eta: it appears there are other books about ratios, etc. too)

We used these when the kids were younger; I haven't really used them in recent years with my eldest: http://mathstart.net/

Fractals, Googols, and Other Mathematical Tales

Anno? http://www.amazon.com/Annos-Mysterious-Multiplying-Masaichiro-Anno/dp/0698117530/ref=pd_sim_b_18

Edited by Momof3littles

Assuming you mean the log book and the guide... They are supposed to ship by the end of the month. I think the e-book is already available but you'd have to check.

Heather

They say they are going to publish 8 books on different science subjects. I am wondering if it's going to take them 8 years to have everything out. I want them all now!:D

My nine year old is challenging to get curriculum for. She loves what she loves, but balks at what she doesn't love.

I realized today that she seemed to love ... a story. For example, she loves Life of Fred. She mostly loves MCT, especially the story parts. She loved loved loved The Sentence Family. Grammarland. Story of the World.

Now that I have finally figured this out ... what other curriculum is out there, in any and all subjects, that tells a story of some sort?

Wow, we have the same 9 year old! :D

:bigear::bigear::bigear:

A lot of the old history books tell a story (Little History of the World, Child's History of the World, This Island Story, Builders of the Old World....). Hakim's History of US as well. Anything from Yesterday's Classics, for example. Including the science, by Burgess, Buckley, and Morley.

I found and like this one: The Child's Own English Book by Alice Eliza Ball. Watch out for a weird adjective section where one is supposed to describe a negro or chinaman.

Edited by stripe

My ideas are in the same line as Stripe's.

If you go to Ambleside Online or Old Fashioned Education you can find tons of links to living science and history. These would be free downloads. If you don't like the format at the places linked you can often find the books elsewhere. You can also get these on e-readers if you want. They would be many of the books you find at Yesterday's Classics.

Another fun science other than Burgess (<<<we love) is Arthur Scott Bailey. There is also the Among the _______ People. Some of these books can be found at Google Books with pictures.

Oh and also the Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers.

They say they are going to publish 8 books on different science subjects. I am wondering if it's going to take them 8 years to have everything out. I want them all now!:D

Yea I want them all too. I don't know if she's even suggested a guess for a schedule but I can't imagine more than 2 a year and that might be more than is reasonable. 8 years is definitely too long for us. That would make my youngest 17 and she would probably not be interested at that point :lol:

Heather

I haven't seen it mentioned on the boards before (I did a search because I was wondering what anyone thought of it) but "Art in Story" (http://www.amazon.com/Art-Story-Teaching-Elementary-Children/dp/1591583594/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345306075&sr=8-1&keywords=art+in+story). It's art history that I think would go along nicely with Story of the World. I looked at it from my library and it seemed nice and good for the elementary set.

Jen