Menu

LCC'ers are you still here? What are your plans for this school year?

mama25angels

So do you have any specific plans in the works yet?

Yes!! I actually bought the Memoria Press 3rd grade lesson plans because I found them used for cheap. I had planned to use or already had most of the stuff in the package. The only things we're changing is that we'll be using Climbing to Good English and LOF math. I think next year i'm going to go it alone just using the recommendations from the book.

Me too! Only, i'm spending more time with my 1st edition that with the second.

I'm not teaching my any of my tutoring students Latin/Greek/Hebrew this year, but when I have done LCC it has always been an even more radical version of the 1st edition. Basically Robinson Curriculum with Latin/Greek/Hebrew added to and replacing some of the math, and Loeb versions of the books listed in Climbing to Parnassus part 2, the KJV and the Britannica Great Books replacing the Robinson reading list.

I have never had any use at all for the second edition.

This is my general outline. We start on 8/20

• Math – Singapore 4 A and B, Menu Math

• Composition – Writing with Style; The Creative Writer; *maybe* Rod and Staff Grammar

• Literature – LCC list; Teaching Students to Read NonFiction

o Tales from Shakespeare

o Don Quixote (kid version)

o Treasure Island OR Kidnapped

o The Scarlet Pimpernel

o The Hobbit (prep for the movie)

• History – Story of the World volume 3, with the Kingfisher Encyclopedia of History; Activity Guide

• Geography – Evan-Moore South America, Asia, Africa, Australia and Antarctica

• Logic – "Building Thinking Skills" and “Critical Thinking in U. S. History Series, Books 1 and 2â€

• Religion – Wicca /Neo-Paganism unit study

• Nature Study – Walks; “The Nature Connection: An Outdoor Workbook for Kids, Families, and Classrooms†by Clare Walker Leslie

• Science – Janice VanCleeve Chemistry ; *maybe* Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia

• Handy Work -

• Music – The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra (Book & CD); read biographies (by Mike Venzia)

• Art – Fine Art Studio: Sculpting; read biographies (by Mike Venzia)

• Character Training – The Book of Virtues; The Lakota Way

We follow an LCC-style curriculum patterned after the 2nd edition and the Memoria Press curriculum.

Next year I'll have one using most of MP's 4th grade curriculum, one in second, and one in first. I've incorporated the SOTW series, WWE, and AAS into our curriculum plan, which we like much better. I don't know how the middle school years will go, but we're happy for now.

I am obviously not a purist but here's what I've sketched up according to my own individual family's needs and quirks.

Daily:

Bible: the Bible, catechism and various devotionals

Latin: Prima Latina

Writing: cursive copywork

Math: mostly living math with Spectrum Math linking us to typical grade level expectations

Music: Piano

Foreign Language: Khmer, Spanish

Family reading: selected literature

Weekly: (I can't decide if I want to go more LCC1 or LCC2 yet)

World history or classical studies

American history or Modern Studies

Science/nature study

Church history/Christian studies

Literature or English studies

.. using a compilation of resources from various sources including LBC Yr1, HOD's Beyond, Ambleside Online Yr1, Apologia and anything that I have and/or take an interest in.

DS already reads a lot on history and science all by himself in his free time. These weekly subjects will just be guiding my reading to him and when I plan related activities. I started the year just doing Beyond and Latin but I was starting to bump Latin and needing to commit myself to reading more to the children so I'm reworking my plans to correct this.

Edited by SCGS

Ack! Why is that?

The second edition isn't so Latin CENTERED anymore. Old school classical was Latin and Greek at the expense of EVERYTHING else, even English. Literacy was reading and writing in Latin and Greek. Climbing Parnassus spells out exactly what an old school classical education was like, and it was nothing like the 2nd edition and barely recognizable in the 1st edition.

Looking at the websites of college Classical departments spells out what a classical education is. It's Latin and Greek, and more Latin and Greek, and did I say Latin and Greek? :lol:

Robinson Curriculum + Latin and Greek (and maybe a little Hebrew), is much more "classical" than LCC.

Now, I'm NOT saying radical LCC is what people should do. I'm just saying that I have no use for the second edition, because it's not LCC. If I want to know how to do neoclassical, TWTM does a much better job of telling me how to do THAT. If I want to read about a Latin CENTERED education I'm going to need to look somewhere other than LCC 2nd edition.

If you want to do Latin centered I suggest the Loeb Classics. If Loeb doesn't publish it, it's probably not a "classic". "Classics" are written in Latin and Greek. The red ones are Latin. The green ones are Greek. English on one page, the classic language on the facing page. There are math books and geography books and history books and so much more.

Latin centered is Latin by golly! :svengo:

6a01156f7ea6f7970b0120a587b9bd970b-800wi

Edited by Hunter

The second edition isn't so Latin CENTERED anymore. Old school classical was Latin and Greek at the expense of EVERYTHING else, even English. Literacy was reading and writing in Latin and Greek. Climbing Parnassus spells out exactly what an old school classical education was like, and it was nothing like the 2nd edition and barely recognizable in the 1st edition.

Looking at the websites of college Classical departments spells out what a classical education is. It's Latin and Greek, and more Latin and Greek, and did I say Latin and Greek? :lol:

Robinson Curriculum + Latin and Greek (and maybe a little Hebrew), is much more "classical" than LCC.

Now, I'm NOT saying radical LCC is what people should do. I'm just saying that I have no use for the second edition, because it's not LCC. If I want to know how to do neoclassical, TWTM does a much better job of telling me how to do THAT. If I want to read about a Latin CENTERED education I'm going to need to look somewhere other than LCC 2nd edition.

If you want to do Latin centered I suggest the Loeb Classics. If Loeb doesn't publish it, it's probably not a "classic". "Classics" are written in Latin and Greek. The red ones are Latin. The green ones are Greek. English on one page, the classic language on the facing page. There are math books and geography books and history books and so much more.

Latin centered is Latin by golly! :svengo:

When people mention LCC on here I typically figure they are meaning Drew's book, not a strictly Latin based curriculum. I was just reading the first edition last night where he says he specifically doesn't mean that and the term "Latin-centered" is perhaps unfortunate and misleading to some as they are expecting just what you are talking about.

I find it interesting in light of the earlier discussion in the book about using/misusing the term "classical" and then explaining that "Latin-centered" isn't meaning what it did a few centuries ago. I still like the book for what it is, though.:)