Menu

Gotta Share 'Cuz No One Else Will Understand!

We got our state testing results back from this past year (testing in March). We are homeschooling quite a mix: 2 daughters who at the time of the test had spoken English for exactly 2 years, 1 son who has severe learning disabilities and couldn't read beyond a early 1st grade level at 12 years old when we pulled him from public ed, 1 son who generally does pretty well but left public school 2 grades behind in writing skills and who clearly has dysgraphia or dyscalcula (will be tested soon), and 1 son who is "normal"...HAHAHA!

I started homeschooling with such trepidation and fear, but also reassured in a sort of sick way that I couldn't possibly do any worse that what was happening in public school for our kids. Knowing we were sort of at the bottom of the barrel, we gave it a try.

Found out that each of our children, every single one of them, scored proficient in every single subject.

I cried just a little, I can't believe we actually have succeeded, even though we still have a long way to go and 3 of our 5 are set to graduate at 21 due to holding back or starting at a much lower grade than is usual for their age (our 14 year old is starting 6th grade). But the fact that we actually caught up this much in just 2 years of homeschooling blew me away.

I am so happy for our kids, they work harder without complaint than any kids I know, seriously even today asking to keep working until 6:00 PM.

I am a blessed, blessed Mom!!

Cindy

Cindy, I cannot tell you how happy I am to hear your news, especially after knowing the history of some of your kids. You are all so blessed to have each other.

Thanks so much :-) Lovely to have someone actually know a little about us who can celebrate our victory dance with us!

Cindy

Thank you all SO MUCH for cheering for us! I was just thinking today about how isolated I feel sometimes in homeschooling, as none of my friends do and there is no one to share things with or have conversations with about the things that I do all do long. Not having that connection means our day to day struggles or successes are not really understood.

I made a resolution to myself that I am going to spend more time here on the WTM forums, just so I can feel supported. I need it, and you guys proved it!

Thanks,

Cindy

I started reading your blog after reading this post and it is really wonderful! Your family is just amazing and inspiring. I would love to hear more from you and how you raised your kids to be so thoughtful, hardworking and joyful.

Congrats on your family's achievements so far! Looking forward to hearing more from you around the boards. :)

We got our state testing results back from this past year (testing in March). We are homeschooling quite a mix: 2 daughters who at the time of the test had spoken English for exactly 2 years, 1 son who has severe learning disabilities and couldn't read beyond a early 1st grade level at 12 years old when we pulled him from public ed, 1 son who generally does pretty well but left public school 2 grades behind in writing skills and who clearly has dysgraphia or dyscalcula (will be tested soon), and 1 son who is "normal"...HAHAHA!

I started homeschooling with such trepidation and fear, but also reassured in a sort of sick way that I couldn't possibly do any worse that what was happening in public school for our kids. Knowing we were sort of at the bottom of the barrel, we gave it a try.

Found out that each of our children, every single one of them, scored proficient in every single subject.

I cried just a little, I can't believe we actually have succeeded, even though we still have a long way to go and 3 of our 5 are set to graduate at 21 due to holding back or starting at a much lower grade than is usual for their age (our 14 year old is starting 6th grade). But the fact that we actually caught up this much in just 2 years of homeschooling blew me away.

I am so happy for our kids, they work harder without complaint than any kids I know, seriously even today asking to keep working until 6:00 PM.

I am a blessed, blessed Mom!!

Cindy

Fantastic Job!