Menu

Chronicles of Narnia order?

Mama2two

I guess we read them in a different order than published or story.

LWW

Prince Caspian

Dawn Treader

Silver Chair

Last Battle

Then we go back and read Magician’s Nephew and Horse and His Boy at some other time. I really like Magician’s Nephew but I think it’s much better if you already know Narnia and appreciate the creation story. And I just have never really liked The Horse and His Boy and also think that it’s more of a stand alone. Even though the Pensevie sibs are kings and queens in it, it’s sort of it’s own separate story.

I greatly prefer the published order.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is the very best intro into Narnia, IMO. And, of course, The Last Battle should be read last.

But The Magician's Nephew and The Horse and His Boy could be read anytime in between those two.

The remaining 3 need to be in order (again sometime between TLTWATW and TLB) so you get to know the characters properly (Prince Caspian 1st, Dawn Treader 2nd and Silver Chair 3rd).

I wish I had read this before I picked up started the series. I had never read the Narnia series so just went with the order of the books in our library. Our library's series has Magicians Nephew as #1 followed by the Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe.

That being said, we LOVED the Magicians Nephew. We eagerly started the Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe.

I'll let you know if I wish we had done it differently after we complete the series. :D

Published order is best, IMO.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Prince Caspain

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The Silver Chair

The Horse and His Boy

The Magician's Nephew

The Last Battle

The best (and *only*, IMHO) order is to read them in the order they were written (by publication date).

:iagree:

Reading Magician's Nephew first is like sneaking a peek at a carefully wrapped Christmas present before Christmas.

:iagree:

Reading Magician's Nephew first is like sneaking a peek at a carefully wrapped Christmas present before Christmas.

Absolutely! Part of the appeal of Magician's Nephew is seeing everything come full circle. I'm going to go out on a controversial limb here and say you can skip Horse and His Boy entirely. I hated that book. The story didn't grip me enough to distract me from the racism.

Absolutely! Part of the appeal of Magician's Nephew is seeing everything come full circle. I'm going to go out on a controversial limb here and say you can skip Horse and His Boy entirely. I hated that book. The story didn't grip me enough to distract me from the racism.

LOL, that's my least favorite also. And I agree on Magician's Nephew.