Menu

American History in SOTW

Perogi

We've gone through SOTW 1 and 2 and this year I plan to do SOTW alongside a study of Canadian History.

Will my Canadian student get enough American History in SOTW?

I have the SL Core D instructor's guide and will use some of the historical fiction in that core and can read through the history notes for my own understanding and background knowledge but I don't plan to use their history textbooks, though I do want my student to have an understanding of our neighbours to the south, particularly when our history intersects or mirrors one another.

If anything I think I'd get the Story of the USA rather than Landmark but don't want to overdo it, either.

How much American History is in SOTW?

There's some. I supplemented a lot, though. I did a lot of biographies during the War for Independence chapter. Actually, I've just done a lot of supplementing for all the Am. History stuff. We've been reading some great books about Lewis and Clark and I've even reading the kids the Mike Venezia series about the presidents.

There's some. I supplemented a lot, though. I did a lot of biographies during the War for Independence chapter. Actually, I've just done a lot of supplementing for all the Am. History stuff. We've been reading some great books about Lewis and Clark and I've even reading the kids the Mike Venezia series about the presidents.

I'd be doing a lot of supplementing too, mostly with historical fiction. I don't expect my kids to get the kind of thorough Am History that an American child would receive though.

Sorry OP, I don't have an answer to your question. I just wanted to add that as an American listening to SOTW on audio tape, I'm always thinking "How did I not know that about Canada?!" :)

That's encouraging! I do have resources specifically for Canadian history but I'm hoping that SOTW can be the hinge pin that helps to put it in the context of world history.