Menu

Kindle Fire, Ipad etc question...

Heather in VA

Music and Audio

The Kindle Fire is different from other Android tablets in that it integrates directly with Amazon's music store. You can move purchased songs onto the device or store them in the cloud.

Amazon's Cloud Player even allows you to upload your own music collection. They offer 5GB of free space, and plans start at $20 per year for 20GB. You can sideload MP3 and AAC songs the old-fashioned method too with a USB cable.

There are other music apps available from Amazon's appstore as well, including Slacker Radio, Pandora Internet Radio, and TuneIn Radio for local radio stations.

As far as the ipad goes, I would assume one would sync the ipad with itunes on your computer.

For audio output the Kindle Fire has a headphone jack and two stereo speakers on top edge. The speakers aren't great but are better than most tablets; at least they are loud enough to hear.

I don't think that mp3 files can be uploaded to an ipad. You have to get your music into the itunes format. So if you're specifically looking to use mp3 format, an ipad isn't the device you need.

The Kindle Fire definitely does use the mp3 format. I haven't uploaded any music to mine but both my sons have them and quickly learned how to upload mp3 songs that were made from cds we ripped to the computer.

BTW, my husband told me that Amazon is about to put a limit on the number of songs they'll let you have in your cloud without paying. He said he thinks it's either 250 or 350 songs.

I don't think that mp3 files can be uploaded to an ipad. You have to get your music into the itunes format. So if you're specifically looking to use mp3 format, an ipad isn't the device you need.

iTunes uses mp3 format. I have plenty of mp3's on my iPod Touch. None of them were converted to anything. :)

I haven't done music on the Kindle Fire (we have one), but I have a Toshiba Thrive, and I would just have to put the files onto the internal memory (via computer or USB stick or whatever) or I could play stuff off a USB stick. I'm sure I could probably just slap some songs onto Google Drive and access them from there too. I'll bet you could use something like Google Drive for the Kindle Fire as well?

Amazon's Cloud Player even allows you to upload your own music collection. They offer 5GB of free space, and plans start at $20 per year for 20GB.

it's showing $10/yr for 20 gb when I look, and 250 imported songs. But they store anything you bought from them for free; the 250 doesn't count those.

We have both. Both can have mp3 files loaded onto them.

:iagree:

Put your MP3's into itunes and then put them on your ipad. I purchased SOTW on MP3 and we listen to it in itunes on my MAC, but I could put SOTW on my ipad or iphone if I wanted.

I know you can have your own music in the Kindle, my daughters have music and movies on their Kindles but I'm not really sure how to go about doing it. They didn't buy the music or movies from Amazon.

Also, Amazon makes a Cloud Player app for iPad. So you can use iPad's Music app and Amazon Cloud Player.

You can use Homesharing on the iPad, as well. Up to five Macs in your home (this might count for PCs too but I don't own any so I don't know) can share all their videos and music over your wireless network. That way you don't have to worry about music taking up too much space on your iPad.

Edited by Skadi

Also, Amazon makes a Cloud Player app for iPad. So you can use iPad's Music app and Amazon Cloud Player.

You can use Homesharing on the iPad, as well. Up to five Macs in your home (this might count for PCs too but I don't own any so I don't know) can share all their videos and music over your wireless network. That way you don't have to worry about music taking up too much space on your iPad.

It does work on PCs too.