Menu

Tennessee folks...

So what about the following sites:

Shiloh National Park (civil war sites)

Pickwick Landing State Park

Lynchburg

Chattanooga

Totally not worth it? If we left the interstate, we'd probably sleep in Savannah, if we stay on the interstate, we'd stay in Jackson. Thanks!

I was going to say Jackson as a place to stay, or Nashville if you want to drive a couple more hours. I probably wouldn't get off I-40 until Sevierville, unless the traffic is awful, in which case you can get to the mountains by getting off the interstate in Knoxville (if you're interested in this option, let me know and I can give you directions.)

A friendly warning: to get to Gatlinburg, most people go through Pigeon Forge (this route is from the Sevierville exit). A friend of mine from a foreign country was "astonished" (her word) at what she saw--and not in a good way! It's just a bit overdone and hick-ish and lots of traffic (though lots of outlet shopping). Gatlinburg is much better, but the real treasure of that area, to me, is Townsend (these 3 cities are sort of in a triangle). You can also reach Gatlinburg by going through Townsend--a much more pleasant route, and it takes you through the State Park, which is between Gatlinburg and Townsend. To do this, I think you get off at Alcoa Highway, which is before you get much into Knoxville area. You drive through some smaller towns. Townsend is peacful and quiet and there are many lovely cabins to rent there. (FYI: I'm not a roughing-it kind of girl!).

Let me know if you want more info. Happy traveling.

It's one of the best, largest, and most well preserved. It really is *huge.*

I can't comment much on the others. Chattanooga is nice, but it has enough stuff to do that I would want to stay for a few days if I stopped there at all. It would be hard for me to stop for just a short while.

~Lisa

You also might want to double-check the calendar of events for both Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. You can easily get bogged down in major traffic if there is a car show or another major event. Also, check the UT football schedule or you could get backed up in Knoxville for hours.

If you want to visit the park, then Townsend is definitely the way to go to avoid traveling through Pigeon Forge.

So what about the following sites:

Shiloh National Park (civil war sites)

Pickwick Landing State Park

Lynchburg

Chattanooga

Totally not worth it? If we left the interstate, we'd probably sleep in Savannah, if we stay on the interstate, we'd stay in Jackson. Thanks!

Amy, please come this way. Please come this way. Please come this way. You are on my list of people I most want to meet.

I am sending you a PM.