Menu

MCT- Self-Evident Truths Series?

Paige

Has anyone tried this series? I'm thinking about it for my 11yr old. I think he would really enjoy this type of material, but I'm not really sure what you are supposed to do with it. Is it history, literature, writing, etc? Are there lessons, or do we just read and discuss? Also, I thought we'd go chronological and start with Jefferson, but then it seems like the age for that one is higher. Would it be better to start with MLK and go in reverse chronological order?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the books. :)

http://www.rfwp.com/series/self-evident-truths-series-statements-of-equality

I have both Jefferson's Truths and Lincoln's Ten Sentences and I LOVE them. You could easily just read them--together or independently. MCT gives historical background (events, people, ideas), grammar analysis, and vocabulary. At the end of each book there is a list of things students can do (memorization, research, discussion, etc.) as well as study/discussion questions.

ETA: The Jefferson book is a little more difficult than the Lincoln one, but I don't know that it would matter what order you read them in. MCT weaves history, literature, writing, grammar, and vocabulary together--which is what he does best. :)

Edited by Heidi @ Mt Hope

I have both Jefferson's Truths and Lincoln's Ten Sentences and I LOVE them. You could easily just read them--together or independently. MCT gives historical background (events, people, ideas), grammar analysis, and vocabulary. At the end of each book there is a list of things students can do (memorization, research, discussion, etc.) as well as study/discussion questions.

ETA: The Jefferson book is a little more difficult than the Lincoln one, but I don't know that it would matter what order you read them in. MCT weaves history, literature, writing, grammar, and vocabulary together--which is what he does best. :)

Thanks so much for posting!

I think this is the longest thread I have seen with numerous people bumping because they are interested, but no responses. :tongue_smilie:

This is very helpful.

Thank you so much! I'm assuming you use it with your 10yr old? Do you think he is a good age for it, or do you think he would get more out of it in a few years? I'm so surprised that with all the MCT love around here that there aren't more people using this.

Same question as a pp - are you finding 8 & 10 a good age for these? For some reason I was thinking that they might be hs level, so had planned to do them on the next go-round, but if they would be good for a 5th & 6th grader, we might add them in this year and next . . . :D

I think they are great for around 5th grade and up, especially for kids who have gone through MCT's Town level. My 10 yo read Lincoln's Ten Sentences when we were at that time in history. I don't think he would have been ready for Jefferson's when we covered the Revolutionary War period.

Thanks! :001_smile: