Menu

Help for Last Minute 9th Grade

Hello All,

My Son is now going to be home schooled for 9th. I have never planned to HS high school!! It was truly never an option I considered! My DD just started her first day of 10th today, and I have 2 middles both in second grade, who start with our HS charter in two weeks, and 2 littles who will start preschool first week of Sept. Our CT-is great- as long as I hit the standards at some point, I can use any material I would like. I've had my second graders materials filed and planned since the begging of summer!!! (Can you tell I am a planner :lol: )

So I am STRESSED about this new situation with my Son... For a number of reasons he must be home schooled this year, and PS is just not an option. I was just given a list of his courses for next year based on his Middle School Transcripts (PS) , and I'm lost. Any recommendations.... post to read over.... advice... would be helpful. Here's what he has to take and what I think..

Spanish 1- I'm fully Bilingual (son in not) so all I will need Is a Text- and away we should go.. (any recommendations on this?)

Health- Will just use the PS book

Biology - No clue... Seriously considering just Getting the same text as my daughter (since she has Biology this year. ) and pacing the same but what about LABS?? Any help would be appreciated.

PE1- I will get a "text" and fitness requirements needed..

Art1- again no clue

Geometry- Yikes.. Thinking maybe Saxon... I would really like something that has a DVD or teaching component. I'm going to be behind the 8-ball and just will not have time to re-learn it all before he gets to it..

Honors English1- YIKES this is the scary bit... If it were my call no way would be be in Honors.. his LA is atrocious. On an essay last year he wrote (becase, bacuse ) just like that side to side both wrong. I'm going to have to do this class along with remediation for spelling, grammar etc. along side it . What does a High school honors English class look like?

Again any help would be so greatful. Thank you..

Lee

Are you only homeschooling 9th or are you homeschooling all the way through high school?

If you are homeschooling all the way, I would skip the PE.

Using your dd's Biology book and pacing could work. I personally liked Miller/Levine Biology. Here is a thread that talks about what you need and how to get it.

For labs I would suggest the Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments. It can be downloaded in pdf form here.

Does he want to do art?

For Geometry, you might consider Teaching Textbooks or Chalkdust. We are using MUS Geometry. All of those have a video teacher.

For English, take a look at Excellence in Literature. If you need to add grammar, you might look at Analytical Grammar. I don't know of any spelling appropriate for high school, maybe someone else can help.

Are you only homeschooling 9th or are you homeschooling all the way through high school?

If you are homeschooling all the way, I would skip the PE.

Using your dd's Biology book and pacing could work. I personally liked Miller/Levine Biology. Here is a thread that talks about what you need and how to get it.

For labs I would suggest the Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments. It can be downloaded in pdf form here.

Does he want to do art?

For Geometry, you might consider Teaching Textbooks or Chalkdust. We are using MUS Geometry. All of those have a video teacher.

For English, take a look at Excellence in Literature. If you need to add grammar, you might look at Analytical Grammar. I don't know of any spelling appropriate for high school, maybe someone else can help.

We must to PE,since we are going through a charter. He will most likely HS all the way through high school. Still. We must meet the requirement.. PE and a year of a preforming art are a requirement.. Since they will fund the majority of his "materials" with the no imposed curriculum, I see it as a fair trade off to do these two courses that will not take too much time...

That said... THANK YOU!!! The biology, and guide to labs was exactly what I was looking for.. Thank you thank you thank you...both DS and I are excited about this..

We are both looking over the math and they look interesting.. Although I am still unsure about the English portion as I am unsure what Honors English looks like..

Although I am still unsure about the English portion as I am unsure what Honors English looks like..

Honors English should be heavy in literature and writing. You can pick a lit course such as BJU, Lightning Lit, Excellence in Lit, there are more but those are the first that come to mind. Some have a lot of writing included such as Excellence in Lit. Some have writing separate, BJU offers Writing & Grammar in one book and literature in another.

How you put them together is up to you. You just need to make sure he is building writing skills and learning to read at a deeper level.

Another very strong vote for Miller Levine :)

For labs we used some out of the book, and many from Experiences in Biology from Castle Heights Press.

Math - DS is using Discovering Geometry: An Investigative Approach by Serra. We haven't used it yet, but so far it looks great. There are some awesome threads on here on many of the different Geometry courses. I'm horrible at searches, but maybe someone can link it?

Art - What about introducing him to artists, studying their work and style, and then having him create art based on that style? No text needed :)

PE - does he play sports? I always count that :)

Spanish - Awesome that you're fluent!!! I'm going to have to go the tutor route there eventually. Anyway - We really liked Getting Started with Latin by Linney, and he also has a Spanish course (Getting Started with Spanish, of course). I think he even has lesson plans, etc. online to go with it.

Language Arts - I am truly impressed with IEW for writing, and you can combine it with whatever literature you choose. It seems to be that it is teacher-intensive about half the time when new material is introduced.

As for literature, Pick some classics that you want him to be exposed to and go from there :) There are Lit Guides that can be purchased for most books - at least any that are considered classic - with discussion questions and writing prompts. I'll bet your local high school's library would have some kind of reading lists that the teacher's use... I'd just pick about 4 for really intensive study, and then 8-ish as book reports.

Good luck!!!:grouphug:

Ugh....Don't you love looking over your post and seeing all the mistakes you made..kick yourself for not proofing.. Then blame the iPad?

Thanks for all the great advice.. I've spent the last day looking over the recommendation... Going to go over them with DS today and see what we like... Thanks again for the great advice. I'd be lost with out these boards.

What does a High school honors English class look like?

There would be a lot of literature and writing, I think. This year we are following a syllabus created by one of the folks at IEW. I've previewed the entire year & it is very good, I can't wait to get started. Here are the items you would need:

Introduction to Literary Analysis teacher syllabus with the Student Homework Pages (you can buy this hard copy or buy the pdf file for download)

Teaching the Classics DVD Seminar (optional, but I've seen this before & it is very good)

Windows to the World: An Introduction to Literary Analysis Student & Teacher books

[/url]

If he needs a grammar review, you can throw in The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation .