Menu

Advice needed please!

My 13 year old has asked me to make school more interesting and fun. :001_huh:

He sees me playing phonics/math games with my 7 and 9 year old and misses the time when school was not quite as difficult and boring as it is now. I feel his pain, but I'm already so overwhelmed with everything else I have to do, that making things more interesting is pretty low on my priority list.

Soooo, I'm thinking fun projects and field trips etc., but how to work it all in is difficult with his workload this year. :confused: We attend a co-op on Friday that has elective type classes, but it only frustrates him to have to come home at 1:00 and still have a lot of school work to accomplish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! (BTW - lots of guilt involved here bc his cousin is now in middle school with computer/production type classes and other fun opportunities for kids his age, so school at home has lost a lot of its appeal.)

Same focus here too ....

I am just beginning this search for the different.

I am running through a list of some items that I am looking at or have now:

Math

Life of Fred *

Balance Benders

Mathematical Reasoning

Memory Challenge

Make It Real Learning (When am I ever going to use math?) *

Reading and Literature

Reading Detectives

Grammar

A Journey Through Grammar Land *

Vocabulary

Word Roots Software

Vocabulary in the Content Areas, World History Middle School

I like the idea of content vocabulary. You really need to search to find these. It makes it more connected.

Science

Science Detective Software (in book too)

The Story of Science

Social Studies

KQ Time Traveler (App)

Wonders of Old Timeline (App)

World History Detective

Daily Mind Benders social Studies

You Decide!

Writing

Writing to Change the World (for teens, and very conversational)

* I have it and use it!

You can accomplish a lot with different resources. It will not feel like the old-fashioned school work either. While we are responsible for preparing our children for institutional learning at the advanced level, we can still sway to the left or right and be non-traditional. It is a tough balance that requires test taking and study skills. This is something that has occupied my thinking. I sent back a lot of books, such as Rod & Staff book 5, in favor of something that is not traditional or could be used in a more relaxed manner. I am now very outside of my comfort zone, but I think that the results will prove themselves. :) I will let you know in six months!

Edited by ChrissySC

Can you finish school if he doesn't have work at home on co-op days? That doesn't solve your whole problem, but we are able to get a lot accomplished in only 4 days/week (we have a full day co-op one day.)

Can you move some of his learning or practice to the computer? My ds likes math or vocab drill via free online games.

Are there projects he can work on his own like building an accurate castle out of Legos or science projects that aren't teacher intensive (TOPS comes to mind.) Can a friend come over to work on a project with him such as writing a play, having a debate, building a vehicle?

We have informal verbal quizzes together where I ask youngsters easier questions and olders harder questions. This is light hearted and fun---like a game show--and it's fair.

I'm trying to think of things that he might enjoy that are not a direct drain on your time.

Good Luck finding things! It probably wouldn't take too much to make him feel better about school. :)

Agree with the poster above. It may only take one or two changes in his resources versus actual activities. Many of the items that I am looking to find will have that factor of independence but include novelty and fun while covering core standards or content needs.

The search is on. :D

My 13 year old has asked me to make school more interesting and fun...his cousin is now in middle school with computer/production type classes and other fun opportunities for kids his age...

Sounds like you already know what you need to do. It's easy to get really stuck in ONE mode of learning, ONE mode of output, because it's easy to quantify, easy to outline for the year, easy to put on a schedule. If he's bright, creative, savvy about technology, he might open up and blossom if you flex your assignments a bit. Do the same synthesis, but just flex out the *output* form. Anything he might have done as an essay or report can be done as a powerpoint or something more creative.

And as far as games, yes, in the past year or two I've started investing in nice games and I sit down and play with her. They're important. Ticket to Ride is particularly good and might be fun for you if you've never played it.

Huh, funny coincidence. A great homeschooling mentor just talked to me about this. She specifically told me to try to work some fun into 7th grade.

This year in math we are using TOPS Math Lab as a weekly supplement. We are doing ACS chemistry (lots of hands on) and more TOPS chemistry units as needed. I added in Harmony Fine Arts in as a separate subject. He loves art, and it was the only thing I could find to punch up middle grade history. I am going to add in a very few SOTW activities where I can. We already did that, but he still thinks it is fun. I am going to focus on any cooking projects. I am hoping all of those together will feel like fun.

Not the OP, of course, but I would love a list of your games. :) You have an older daughter, and I would like to know what you found to be a great learning tool in this type of a resource. So as not to intrude, you can pm me. TIA

You might start a thread on the general board, because you'd get LOTS of responses there. Anything I have I got either at the thrift store (awesome source for the common ones) or after seeing it recommended on the boards here. I'm not too original. :)

I mentioned Ticket to Ride. She likes Life. I just got a game Sort it Out, which is more for language. Just got Pictureka to try with her, not sure what that will be like. A lot of games are on sale right now, because the stores clearance before they bring in new stuff for Christmas. Just hit your local stores and see what you find. Scribblish I've seen on clearance at several stores, and it's VERY fun. She went through a real mystery phase, so she liked any game with a mystery theme (Clue, some old ones I got at the thrift store, etc.). Lately she's been liking Guess Who. I know that sounds really corny, because it's a simple game, but it scratches her itch. We even play it on the ipad, hehe.

Just head to the store and see what you find. There are a lot of deals out there right now. Our local Target and Meijers both have games marked down. If you want strategy games or the more expensive games, people on the boards can give you lists. Ticket to Ride is usually pretty pricey ($35?). We got Carcassonne, and while *I* like it quite a bit, I haven't gotten her hooked on it yet. When they're expensive, that's a pricy mistake, kwim? To me it's not really a mistake so much as a hope she'll like it someday.

BTW, people malign gaming systems, but there's actually some evidence that they help processing speed, etc. Anyways, we don't do *violent* games, but there are a lot of mystery-themed games for the Wii that are really quite fun. Disney Guilty Party, Nancy Drew, Malgrave Incident, etc. Wii's are probably comparatively inexpensive to buy, and a lot of games that used to be expensive for it are now quite affordable. If you can get a Wii unit for $70 used on amazon, that's the price of two fancy board games, kwim? Just check when they're going for. Then you can change out the games for $5 or $10 here or there. So it's another way to go. Some of the games are quite intricate and non-violent.

Huh, funny coincidence. A great homeschooling mentor just talked to me about this. She specifically told me to try to work some fun into 7th grade.

It's the great irony that curricula tend to go totally abstract (write, write, write) just at the age when kids are finally ABLE to do all these awesome projects for themselves. I think it totally sucks and is illogical. She's able to do all these amazing, in-depth projects now, and we're gonna DO them. She was telling me she wants to build a model of the Hagia Sophia 1/2 original, 1/2 modern. She's NUTS, lol. :lol:

Well, that advice was in the vein of "Strap yourself in for the wild ride that is high school. You'd better to work some fun into 7th grade because it's almost your last chance to do so"

I am certain her kids had lots of fun in high school (they have told me so), but, yeah..write, write, write.

First, I would try to not have him to seat work after coop. In my experience, time after coop/homeschool group is not really productive; my 13 y/o needs time to unwind. If educational stuff needs to be fit into this day, I have him watch a history documentary, or simply read for English.

Second, how much input does he have into the choice of materials and output? What helps my 13 y/o is that he is free to choose his schedule every day and work on each subject for however long he wants. Also, I solicit his suggestions for writing topics, and for history projects - he might want to create a poster or give an oral presentation instead of writing a report. Before high school, we have much more flexibility to do out-of-the-box stuff.

Third, I know that games don't fit very well with what an 8th grader has to learn, but can you mix up different presentation and learning modes? I.e. not only textbooks and worksheets, but maybe vary things by using an online course for one subject, and TC video lectures and documentaries for another, and an outside class/coop for a third? If he is hands-on, make the science class lab intensive?

Lastly, can you think of field trips for enrichment for his studies? Science centers, art museums, live performances, National and State Parks...

Lots of great ideas here already!

How about a weekly time when a friend comes over to join in on a project or class? Can he do a class (or an elective) online? How about competitions or contests? DS will be doing the National STEM Video Game Challenge. He also attends monthly rubik's cube tournaments. Be sure to throw in plenty of documentaries. DS also loves the Happy Scientist - our boys are old enough to have fun and do the experiments themselves. How about making one morning/one day a week a special day - Science Friday; Poetry Thursday - you get the picture. Something that speaks to him, not the younger kids. Can he volunteer or work somewhere on a regular basis?

This is a difficult age. In particular, middle school kids need to be with other kids. Find an outlet for him to be with people. Can he join an activity at your local public school?

Good luck! Ds wants the same.

BTW, did you start a similar thread on the general board yet?

My 13 year old has asked me to make school more interesting and fun. :001_huh:

He sees me playing phonics/math games with my 7 and 9 year old and misses the time when school was not quite as difficult and boring as it is now. I feel his pain, but I'm already so overwhelmed with everything else I have to do, that making things more interesting is pretty low on my priority list.

Soooo, I'm thinking fun projects and field trips etc., but how to work it all in is difficult with his workload this year. :confused: We attend a co-op on Friday that has elective type classes, but it only frustrates him to have to come home at 1:00 and still have a lot of school work to accomplish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! (BTW - lots of guilt involved here bc his cousin is now in middle school with computer/production type classes and other fun opportunities for kids his age, so school at home has lost a lot of its appeal.)

What would be considered fun for him? Before you get too into investing time and money, I'd have an informal chat with him about his definition.

It may simply be he wants to unwind after co-op. I agree that 1:00 on Friday would be a hard time to refocus.

These are some questions I've asked ds in the past, these are from a blog post I did this spring:

I wrote out a seven page survey, don't worry I was writing in marker so the font was big. I wanted his honest opinion on these matters. Here's part of the survey.

Boxes beside statements, I feel I am good at, I feel I am not good at:

Understanding what I read

Understanding what is read to me

Making a guess about what will or may happen in a story

Working through a mental block

Figuring things out on my own

Figuring out how to solve something by reading/learning more about it

Yes or No questions:

I prefer to feel challenged when I work

I feel like I've improved in my ability to do hard things

I prefer to learn by doing

I prefer to read about something before doing it

I feel agitated when I don't understand something

If I don't understand the importance of a task, I am less motivated to complete it

I feel I may never really learn some subjects

My perfect school day would involve learning these five subjects (does not have to be subjects currently studying):

One time period I would like to learn more about is:

One science thing (it was late, thing was the appropriate word) I would like to learn more about is:

Name two areas of study or skills I wish I was better in:

On most days I feel like I'm a good/bad student. (circle one)

One thing I'd like to learn, but you'd never let me is:

Name two areas of study where I think I am good:

These issues distract me from my schoolwork circle all that apply. My list included: dog, cat, hunger, my desk, my chair, not having pencils, Mom's silly songs, feeling unprepared, lack of organization, thinking about video games, things not feeling perfect, being hot, not feeling good about my work, being cold, being tired.

My favorite book so far this year is:

Write down three things outside of school that you feel you're good at:

One place in the United States I would love to visit:

One movie (new or old) that I'd like to see:

If I could invent something it would be:

One thing I like about myself:

One thing about myself I'd like to change:

At the end I wrote Thanks, Love you, Mom.