Menu

My suggestion to minimize book wear...

OK, if you all know this already then I'm the only slow learner.... I recently purchased a used paperback book came with the corners taped. It was an ah-ha moment.

Take about a 3" piece of clear packaging tape. Put about half of it on the corner of your book, open book and wrap the other half around to reinforce and strengthen the corner of your paperbacks and minimize wear and tear.

I just finished w/ our usborne encyclopedias.

Edited by kmoncelle

I order book covering from a library supply. It it like clear contact paper only thicker and if you order the right kind, repositionable. I also prefer matte over gloss and you can choose either. I cover all our non-consumable paperbacks with it! Love the stuff!

• 9 months later...

Reviving thread in case someone can tell me more about the repositionable book covers fhjmom mentioned. Our paperback Saxon and AoPS books are going to go through a lot of use. I thought I'd trying covering them with contact paper, but I'm wondering if there is something easier to work with. Wrinkles would drive nuts, and contact paper and I do not get along.

Reviving thread in case someone can tell me more about the repositionable book covers fhjmom mentioned. Our paperback Saxon and AoPS books are going to go through a lot of use. I thought I'd trying covering them with contact paper, but I'm wondering if there is something easier to work with. Wrinkles would drive nuts, and contact paper and I do not get along.

I was interested, too. Google led me here...

http://www.thelibrar...-1554/clearseal

HTH

Sarah

FWIW, one of my AoPS books has an old-fashioned brown-paper-bag book cover. The other one has clear packing tape in certain sensitive spots (on the right edge of the cover and around the binding).

I have this tape and like it. It's thicker than regular tape: Scotch Book Tape

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch®-Book-845-Inches-Yards/dp/B00006IF5R/

My library recently stopped putting plastic sticky covers over paperbacks; apparently it didn't help with their most often sort of wear, which is at the binding. I bought some used books in the UK that have plastic sleeve type covers, like a plastic version of the sort I used to make when I was in school. I would only use those on very worn books, though, as I think they're kind of pricy.