Menu

Help me diagnose DD--Worried :(

DD was sick on Sunday--sick enough that she didn't participate in the final performance of her musical performance on Sunday. (She didn't have a large role, so she could skip out, but it was a BIG, AWESOME production, and she was sad to miss it.)

She was just tired and said her tummy hurt.

She just lies around, sometimes wants music or stories, but sometimes just wants to be alone and rest.

Complained of headache and belly ache. I made sure it wasn't appendicitis, as best as I could. She doesn't have a headache any more, but just generalized belly ache that gets better and worse.

This morning, had an appointment for her. WBC were not elevated. No fever. Dr. checked all sorts of ways for appendicitis (no scan though) I hope that's not it. Her monocytes (sp?) were elevated though, so he thought that might be a sign of mono, but he also said they didn't typically test for mono until 7 days after symptoms started. Negative for strep.

I don't know. I'm worried. She's just tired all the time. She'll drink gatorade and eat light meals. We did get up and run some errands today, and she did alright, but came home and crashed. Her belly ache during errands was 3, but 6 now.

Thoughts?

When I called her to dinner tonight, her eyes filled with tears at the table and she said she just wanted to go lie back down.

Very sad Mama.

I'm sending you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: and prayers, because I don't have an answer for you, but I hope your dd feels better soon.

My only thought -- could she have Lyme Disease? Lyme can manifest itself in so many ways, that it can be difficult to diagnose. Is your dd on any medications from the doctor?

My lab work just came back positive for West Nile. The first 4 days my complaints were stomach ache, headache, and just not feeling well. Oh and my eyes hurt. Day 5 I broke out in a rash. Only reason I went to doc was on day 7 I had an occular migraine and swollen lymph gland in the back of my neck and head. Don't know if it prevalent where you live or not... but just something to think about.

edited to add: Those first few days I felt very depressed like sinking into a dark pit. I gathered up movies and took the sofa.

Edited by KayT

My lab work just came back positive for West Nile. The first 4 days my complaints were stomach, headache, and just not feeling well. Oh and my eyes hurt. Day 5 I broke out in a rash. Only reason I went to doc was on day 7 I had an occular migraine and swollen lymph gland in the back of my neck and head. Don't know if it prevalent where you live or not... but just something to think about.

WOW!!!!!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My lab work just came back positive for West Nile. The first 4 days my complaints were stomach, headache, and just not feeling well. Oh and my eyes hurt. Day 5 I broke out in a rash. Only reason I went to doc was on day 7 I had an occular migraine and swollen lymph gland in the back of my neck and head. Don't know if it prevalent where you live or not... but just something to think about.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Oh my gosh -- I have never known anyone who had West Nile. It sounds so scary! What kind of medication do they give you for it? How long will it take for you to feel better?

Praying for you!!!

Apparently West Nile is pretty bad all over this summer. Could she have a tapeworm? My cousin's ds had one when he was young. Kept complaining of stomach aches, and he started losing a lot of weight. They didn't have any pets, so they don't have a clue how he got it. I hope your dd feels better soon, OP. And you too, Kay.

There isn't anything they can do for it except provide support if it becomes neuroinvasive. I am on week 4 and still having some spasms in my neck. The occular migraine was the scariest as I thought I was going blind!

Wow -- that would be terrifying! I didn't realize that there was no treatment for it. I hope you're through the worst of it. :grouphug:

Her monocytes (sp?) were elevated though, so he thought that might be a sign of mono, but he also said they didn't typically test for mono until 7 days after symptoms started.

Did he suggest you come back if she doesn't feel better after a week? When my oldest had mono, she was so tired she couldn't move. She ached all over and her stomach was sore for days. But she was throwing up the first couple of days and even passed out a couple of times. It was scary.

If they suspected Mono why didn't they do a rapid test? Also, they can easily do a blood test too.

What was her differential?

I would keep watching, I missed the age of your DD, but I would definitely go back if she isn't improved and KEEP digging for answers.

It could be anything, and is most likely a self limiting virus; but I definitely feel you should always TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS.

Prayers for you and yours...

Have to add: What is the harm in taking her back in? If she is really that lethargic, she should likely be seen through urgent care and have a rapid test done... JMO and I am NOT a doctor, but have spent some serious time around white counts.

Edited by kerryfrank73