Menu

This happens everywhere? Really?

Trafficking. I attended a presentation and frankly was dumbfounded and sickened how pervasive this abominable practice is. At least we were told that it was nearly everywhere. I always thought this was a large city problem but "surely not" in our small community or other small communities.

I led and am obviously still leading a sheltered life.

My heart broke for the rescued girls who were speaking at the event. It seems many ended up in this horrific place through foster care but one girl mentioned that her mother "sold" her to her uncle.

The purpose of the event was to draw attention to the problem and to possibly find financial and volunteer support for a local facility that shelters these girls once they have been rescued.

I wish my day had more hours in it so I could help in some meaningful way.

:glare:

This story sticks in my mind:

http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=19524

In college I had a classmate who came to the US under very similar circumstances as the woman in that story and spent most of her 20s trapped into working nearly 24-7 as a nanny for no money. She came because they promised to educate her siblings back home and she stayed because they threatened to harm them and beat her.

It's shocking, disgusting, and heartbreaking. And once you know about it, you can never un-know it. :grouphug:

:iagree:

When we were transferred to Sicily, DH and I had to take an awareness class on human trafficking. Apparently Sicily is a big stopping ground for traffickers between Africa and Europe. That class literally made me sick to my stomach. I think for me, the hardest part was learning how prominent it is here in the United States - and it doesn't ever seemed to be talked about. Ever. It honestly makes me wonder whose pockets are being lined. Especially given the amount of publicity against smoking, illegal drugs, etc.

This story sticks in my mind:

http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=19524

In college I had a classmate who came to the US under very similar circumstances as the woman in that story and spent most of her 20s trapped into working nearly 24-7 as a nanny for no money. She came because they promised to educate her siblings back home and she stayed because they threatened to harm them and beat her.

What kind of whatsit blank bleeping blank would leave their child with someone under that situation?!?!? :glare: the human trafficking is bad enough, but apparently they don't love their own kids much so what can you expect I guess?!?! I can't imagine the woman felt much affection for the child and what if she had decided to take retribution out in the children?!?!?!? The evil humanity exacts never fails to find a new way to horrify me. I'd never be able to leave my child with someone under duress like that. Good grief. I won't even use my mil because she complains about how tired it makes her. Can't even imagine on so many levels. :'(

It is so disturbing and heartbreaking it is hard to make it feel personal in fathoming it. I too wish I was doing more to get involved in helping.

I am not sure how to add a link from a specific thread on here, but if you search for "backpage" it will pull up a thread that has some more info and links.

What kind of whatsit blank bleeping blank would leave their child with someone under that situation?!?!? :glare: the human trafficking is bad enough, but apparently they don't love their own kids much so what can you expect I guess?!?! I can't imagine the woman felt much affection for the child and what if she had decided to take retribution out in the children?!?!?!? The evil humanity exacts never fails to find a new way to horrify me. I'd never be able to leave my child with someone under duress like that. Good grief. I won't even use my mil because she complains about how tired it makes her. Can't even imagine on so many levels. :'(

Well, if you are willing to enslave someone, your compassionate and loving side can't be all that well developed. Also, in the case of my classmate the family that did this to her had access to her siblings via their relatives in that country and the woman in the story was likely quite afraid for her own children back in their native country. I would imagine that is a bit of a sick insurance policy to keep the person being forced to work "in line." Also, I know my classmate was quite close to the kids she cared for, despite the terrible nature of her situation. They paid her nada, kept her papers and gave her handmedowns for clothing. She finally got help because a neighbor was concerned to see her in weather inappropriate clothing and reached out

Well, if you are willing to enslave someone, your compassionate and loving side can't be all that well developed. Also, in the case of my classmate the family that did this to her had access to her siblings via their relatives in that country and the woman in the story was likely quite afraid for her own children back in their native country. I would imagine that is a bit of a sick insurance policy to keep the person being forced to work "in line." Also, I know my classmate was quite close to the kids she cared for, despite the terrible nature of her situation. They paid her nada, kept her papers and gave her handmedowns for clothing. She finally got help because a neighbor was concerned to see her in weather inappropriate clothing and reached out

Oh yes, I understand. I was more thinking along the lines that obviously their ability to care on even a very basic level is seriously lacking.

:iagree:

When we were transferred to Sicily, DH and I had to take an awareness class on human trafficking. Apparently Sicily is a big stopping ground for traffickers between Africa and Europe. That class literally made me sick to my stomach. I think for me, the hardest part was learning how prominent it is here in the United States - and it doesn't ever seemed to be talked about. Ever. It honestly makes me wonder whose pockets are being lined. Especially given the amount of publicity against smoking, illegal drugs, etc.

Good point. I never thought of this aspect.

Two teen girls from my church did an awareness/fundraising campaign for, I believe, the "not for sale" group this year. They wore the same dress to school every day for a month or two (only changing accessories). Other teens quickly noticed and started asking, "Didn't you wear that dress yesterday?" and then they would use the opportunity to talk to their classmates about why they were doing it. I think they also had people who sponsored them for every day they wore the dress.

The Assemblies of God churches have taken human trafficking on as both a US and world missions project. I know their women's ministry is heavily involved in building rescue homes for victims.

Renay West is also very active in speaking out against human trafficking, although she works mostly in Argentina these days. I've heard her speak before, and the stories and testimonies she shares of these women are absolutely heartwrenching.

Houston is a major hub for human trafficking, and I've read lots of reports that it's worse here than it is in Las Vegas. It's bad enough that they post billboards with stats to help raise awareness of the problem.

A pp was correct in that once you know about it, you can never un-know it and there's only so much we can do to really help.

Two teen girls from my church did an awareness/fundraising campaign for, I believe, the "not for sale" group this year. They wore the same dress to school every day for a month or two (only changing accessories). Other teens quickly noticed and started asking, "Didn't you wear that dress yesterday?" and then they would use the opportunity to talk to their classmates about why they were doing it. I think they also had people who sponsored them for every day they wore the dress.

WOW. That just gave me chills. What a bold thing for those teen girls to do. I would be a very proud parent to see my child so dedicated to a cause. I thought of myself as a totally independent teenager back in the day, but even I don't think I would have been able to do that.

Spa, foot massage, massage establishments are all over the place here. All over the place. It's sick. I know several men who went into a hair cutting establishment who were offered the "special".

I literally can't drive more than a mile without seeing one of these places.

I've treated teens who worked in them. (and clients with cross addictions who visit the establishments)

http://www.freemynailtech.com/index.html

Edited by Joanne

It's interesting that this post came up today. I just read our newspaper and there's an article on the editorial page by our state rep. She sponsored and helped pass a bill to toughen the laws on these types of crimes. The law also redefined victims so that those who were forced into prostitution could get services and have charges removed from their records.

Spa, foot massage, massage establishments are all over the place here. All over the place. It's sick. I know several men who went into a hair cutting establishment who were offered the "special".

I literally can't drive more than a mile without seeing one of these places.

I've treated teens who worked in them. (and clients with cross addictions who visit the establishments)

http://www.freemynailtech.com/index.html

Yep! We've got a couple of salons and massage places that are being investigated for this.

It's Vile, just vile, wicked...their aren't enough adjectives.

Faith