Menu

options for natural miscarriage to avoid d and c

I am asking for a friend. She just discovered that there is no heartbeat and an ultrasound confirmed that the baby stopped growing almost two weeks ago. She has stopped having pregnancy symptoms, but hasn't lost the baby yet. She doesn't want a d&c. Are there any natural methods to encourage a miscarriage? She was about nine weeks along.

I'm so sorry for your friend.

I have just been through this, still am actually. It's going to depend on how big the pregnancy is, that will determine the recommended treatments. I found out at 11w5d that I'd miscarried weeks before, so my body had already re-absorbed much of the pregnancy (it was measuring about 6weeks by that stage). I was given 3 options by my Ob, no treatment, medication, D&C. I declined a D&C this time - I've had one before with no problems - and instead opted for some pessaries to 'help my body along'. I chose this option as I know how my body works - s.l.o.w.l.y - and I felt that it needed some help to get going. The tablets were inserted the same day worked for me within 24hrs. I miscarried at home on what should have been exactly 12weeks. My ob said that at my gestation/size of pregnancy that this method is 85% effective, with it working within 72 hrs for 50% of those, she warned it could take up to 2 weeks. I found it to be a good treatment option, I wasn't traumatised by the passing.

That was nearly 3 weeks ago & I've got an appointment on monday to check that it was complete - I'm not sure that it was so I may well need to think about a D&C as an option again...

I'm not sure about natural methods, I know there are some naturopathic remedies that could help but I'm not confident in what they are. It could be worth looking into though.

Hope your friend is ok. :grouphug:

I don't have any suggestions, but i'll share my experience. I was 8wks when I started spotting, there was still a heartbeat. The baby only measured 5 wks so a 3 wk difference. About 3 days later when I was checked (I had more bleeding) there was no heartbeat and I declined a d&c at the ER. Two days later I miscarried on my own. So it was about 4 wks after the baby stopped growing. I was very certain of the dates.

I did not want a D&C again with my last mc and so my nurse practioner gave me some medicine to insert vaginally. I ok waiting for it to happen on its own but as a ft working mom I appreciated the opportunity to reduce the odds of me miscarrying at work or in public. Since I knew that waiting could mean that it started at any moment and perhaps in a public place. I was able to be at home, with my husband, in peace and quiet. I put the fetus in a small box, wrapped in a baby quilt and we had a small burial at the same Catholic cemetary that my mom's cremated remains are buried.

Edited by kijipt

Well, I'll give you the other side of the coin. I prefer the D&C. It's over in an instant and I didn't want to wait around for a miscarriage to start and then go on and on. I wanted to move on and I felt like waiting for it to happen would have been much harder for me. The D&C is quick, easy and painless with no recovery time. I wasn't even put out for them; I didn't want to be, because I knew it would only take two minutes.

If her reason for not doing it is because she fears the procedure itself, tell her there is nothing to worry about.

I did not want a D&C again with my last mc and so my nurse practioner gave me some medicine to insert vaginally. I ok waiting for it to happen on its own but as a ft working mom I appreciated the opportunity to reduce the odds of me miscarrying at work or in public. Since I knew that waiting could mean that it started at any moment and perhaps in a public place. I was able to be at home, with my husband, in peace and quiet.

Do you know what medicine she gave you? She also doesn't want it to happen at work, and her brother-in-law is getting married soon and she's concerned about it happening then also. This is her first child.

Mifepristone and Misoprostol are a combination of pills inserted vaginally to induce miscarriage. If she's earlier than 7 weeks or so, I think, that is an option. If it doesn't work completely, she'll probably be advised to do a D&C so there is no chance for infection. This is what I did, and I was at home. They gave me valium for the pain so it was relatively painless physically. She'll want heavy duty pads and a heating pad, and someone to bring her tea, etc., and help her remain comfortable.

I'm sorry your friend is going through this. :(

With my loss at the beginning of the year, the m/c was induced by Cytotec/misoprostol and I also had Vicodin for any cramping. Overall, it was over quicker than my completely spontaneous loss last year (with that one it was about 4 days between the main m/c and the passage of the placenta, I didn't want to go through that again). My condolences to your friend on her loss.

Do you know what medicine she gave you? She also doesn't want it to happen at work, and her brother-in-law is getting married soon and she's concerned about it happening then also. This is her first child.

I did misoprostol. I was past 7 weeks, transitioning into the second tri. It worked within 8 hours. My midwife said that I might need a second dose but even though it was later in the pregnancy, it worked just fine. I, of course, did a follow up visit to make sure it was complete. I found it cathartic to see our child and we arranged for a quiet burial at the same cemetary my mother's cremated remains are buried. I have had recurrent miscarriages and previously had D&Cs and spontanteous ones but this was better for me. Pain wise it was worse than bad cramping but not unmanageable. I recall my midwife prescribed a narc pain pill but I prefer to avoid the nausea I get with that so I did not take them.

I used cytotec also. The dr. on call wanted me to have a D and E and I was totally against that. My dr. called the next day and prescribed the meds which were inserted. Then I waited the 24 hours and went in a week later to make everything had passed.

Hugs for your friend and you!

Well, I'll give you the other side of the coin. I prefer the D&C. It's over in an instant and I didn't want to wait around for a miscarriage to start and then go on and on. I wanted to move on and I felt like waiting for it to happen would have been much harder for me. The D&C is quick, easy and painless with no recovery time. I wasn't even put out for them; I didn't want to be, because I knew it would only take two minutes.

If her reason for not doing it is because she fears the procedure itself, tell her there is nothing to worry about.

:iagree: When no heartbeat was found at a 10? week appointment, I had an ultrasound that found a 6 week fetus. We had been on fertility medication, so we were very certain of dates. I had blood levels checked for about a week which showed my hormone levels still increasing (but not doubling like they should). A second ultrasound showed the fetus still at 6 weeks (and no extras hiding in corners!). I chose to wait. 2 weeks later there was still nothing and no more development despite my hormone levels still increasing. I had a d&c a week later. It was awful waiting, still feeling very much pregnant. After the d&c, it was over. I was put under for it. The recovery was strictly emotionally. With a family wedding to attend, she might want to consider just getting it over with.

My first was a miscarriage confirmed by ultrasound. Found out on Friday, by Saturday I was bleeding like a bad period and the baby passed on Sunday.

For me it wasn't something that would just happen at work. It started slowly with spotting, then got period like and then it got worse with major cramping.

So I guess I am trying to say that it might be best to wait and see how things go. I could be wrong but usually there is lead up time before the actual miscarriage. (I have had two losses where I bled.)

A another note I had a friend that was told she was going to miscarry and they decided to wait and see. She just gave birth to her baby girl a couple of weeks ago, the doctors were wrong. While this may be rare it does happen

I personally prefer to let nature run it's course whenever I can. D&C's and drugs all have side effects/risks and it is best to make sure she knows what they are before doing either as it can have an affect on her future pregnancies.