Menu

Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

Pink Fairy

I used this in a co-op with 12-18 year olds three years ago. It really depends on what the student is used to as far as reading and writing goes. We completed it in a year doing all the extras (even learned some Elvish) and it was a fair amount of work, but not too difficult, I don't think 2 years are needed. There are lesson plans for younger students on the web site.

I used this in a co-op with 12-18 year olds three years ago. It really depends on what the student is used to as far as reading and writing goes. We completed it in a year doing all the extras (even learned some Elvish) and it was a fair amount of work, but not too difficult, I don't think 2 years are needed. There are lesson plans for younger students on the web site.

Is learning Elvish in that lessons? If not what did you use?

Absolutely loved it; did it with an 8th gr. (13-14yo) and a 9th (15yo) gr. We modified it, using only the Teacher Manual, and skipped the student book, which was identical and thus cut out the writing that would be part of the vocabulary worksheets and quizzes, the "fill in the blank" answers for the comprehension questions, and writing out answers to the discussion questions. Here's how we modified LLftLotR and did it in a year:

- read the books aloud together as a family, 2 chapters a week

- skipped the comprehension questions (we've read the books several times in the past)

- did the vocabulary worksheets aloud together (boys took turns answering)

- read/discussed aloud together the additional notes and the discussion questions for each chapter

- read/discussed aloud together the additional units

Personally, I think the students who will enjoy this study the most, and get the most out of it are probably between grades 7-10. In my opinion, the ideal age to do this study is with a student who is well developed in the logic and reasoning skills and is starting to move into being able to understand literary analysis (beginning to read/think/discuss books). Also, the student needs to be at a reading level (or listening level) to feel very comfortable with the language -- British/older vocabulary and sentence structures.

That said, I think a student of any age who really loves this genre, and especially loves these books would thoroughly enjoy LLftLotR. I know several ladies have done LLotLotR with elementary-aged students listening in, or done the study with a 5th or 6th grader. And yes, your idea of doing the study over 1-1/2 to 2 years would also be great.

We did LLftLotR the year after we'd done Lightning Literature 7 (a very gentle intro into literary analysis), and gone through Figuratively Speaking (covers 40 literary terms with definition, examples from classic literature and exercises to practice the element) -- and I thought LLftLotR was a great intro to literary analysis, or a great follow-up to an intro to literary analysis program. We also did a number of the ancients "Great Books" in the WTM style at the same time, and it all blended together really well -- things we learned from LLftLotR additional units added to our Great Books study, and tidbits of info about literary analysis from lit. guides to go with those Great Books added on to seeing themes and symbols, etc. in Lord of the Rings. It was a great lit. year!

If you'd like more specifics on how we scheduled it, just post. : ) Warmest regards, Lori D.

- read the books aloud together as a family, 2 chapters a week

Lori D.

I bought the audio CD's to add some variety. They are wonderful!

I bought them here for $85 used. New at Amazon they are $150'ish. Check your library also.

My dd 11 just read all 3 books. She doesn't want to discuss the literary elements unfortunately. "That ruins it", she says. Go figure... :)

My dd 11 just read all 3 books. She doesn't want to discuss the literary elements unfortunately. "That ruins it", she says. Go figure... :)

She said that when you have an incredible book that just goes very deep for a child, don't make them discuss it. It might well ruin it. The example she used was "The Once and Future King", but she also mentioned that when she first heard of LLLOTR, her initial reaction was, "Why would you do that?" I think she is right--good for you for letting your DD off the hook like that.

Having said that, we are going to do LLLOTR this coming school year. All of it, pretty much. I spend 90 minutes yesterday familiarizing myself in detail with the Book 1 sections and the two unit studies at the end of Book 1, and also with some of the material in the appendices, and I am more glad than ever that I got this curriculum. I, personally, am going to love it. And if DD doesn't love it, too, which I think that she will, I will drop it for her but continue and do it myself.

Karen, I took a look at that link--exactly what I needed!

Lori, your post is encouraging to me. I was afraid I might have bitten off too much, and I'd rather do it over two years than try and do it all in one.

DD is advanced in language arts--I don't think I'd try it with any of my other children in 6th grade. Even so, I don't want to overwhelm her.

Beth, I LOVE the audios by Rob Inglis, and so does dd!

Carol, I hope that won't be the case for my dd. As much as the two of us enjoy the books, I think this might be her favorite subject next year. It never occurred to me that it might ruin it for her! I'll have to wait and see, I guess. She's not one to hold back if she doesn't like something! :001_smile:

Is learning Elvish in that lessons? If not what did you use?

Here are some of my favorite links:

The Grey Havens

Encyclopedia of Arda

Thain's Book - Encyclopedia of Middle Earth

The Tongues of Arda

If you're really serious about learning Sindarin.

Various Tolkien Language courses

Elvish from the movies.

We also made Lembas with leaf wrappers.

Maps and Timelines

Fonts:

Windows

Mac

Be sure to click around.

HTH,

Karen