Menu

Miquon Math--remedial for 5th grade?

DidoMachiatto

Miquon is an excellent presentation of core mathematical concepts. It is discovery-oriented, and the child will truly understand addition, place value, subtraction, fractions, functions, graphing, sets, distributive property, etc. BEFORE they just read a sterile definition. Miquon helps the child understand the concept because it guides the child in DISCOVERing the concept. Miquon should always be paired with another math program like Singapore.

I am taking my dd10 out of public school, and find I have to do a lot of remedial math with her. She was in a second-language situation (we live abroad) and somehow she missed some significant things in math, though our country is strong in math (they use a program almost identical to Singapore math).

That said, she can divide and multiply already, add long numbers, etc. But I think she's weak conceptually with math. This program looks like it is helping kids understand some deeper concepts about math, and this might help fill in some blanks for my daughter.

I have read that kids either love Miquon or hate it. I'm thinking that if I 'start over' so to speak, but in a way like this, she won't feel like she's doing first grade all over, but learning things again using a different modality.

Does anyone have any advice one way or the other as to whether or not you think this might help?

I tried Miquon this summer with my 10 year old. We did not get far. It did feel like first grade over again. I had posted a similar question to yours at start of summer and at least one other person wrote that they tried Miquon with an older child and did find it helpful. May I ask what country you are in?

Miquon is so inexpensive that you can probably get the first book (downloadable at currclick) and try it to see how she responds, and you can determine if she's getting anything out of it. We started in March (I think? Maybe April) with DD10. She has cried over every single math program we have ever used (public school math, Horizons, MEP, CLE, Singapore), and she absolutely adores Miquon. She seems to be learning and understanding, and most importantly she is retaining. :) I don't find it to be too young for her at all. In fact, the very first level has multiplying fractions. DS11, on the other hand, who is great at math and has used MEP quite successfully for a few years, tried playing with Miquon a bit when he saw how much she liked it and immediately proclaimed it to be "way too confusing". I think I've seen adults post things about having that exact same reaction themselves, so it might be one of those things where you just have to try it out and see what happens.

I wouldn't start with the Orange book, but with the Red, if you end up doing it. Still, it may feel like first grade math. I don't know. What about just getting the C-rods and playing around with them and doing some of the stuff from Rosie's videos at Education Unboxed? I used to make my conceptually weak remedial middle school math kids do some work with the C-rods and I always felt like that was useful, but I can't imagine having backed up and done Miquon with them. I also used to do other things with those students - we played a lot of 24, we did a lot of brain teasers, we especially liked using Louis Sachar's Sideways Arithmetic books... Those are all really different sorts of suggestions though.

Miquon is also really easy to use topically by download. The scope and sequence is on the last page of the download. I have older ds do Miquon topically as a supplement, and I agree with Farrar's suggestion to start with Red, but only do the sections or strategies on concepts with which she needs practice.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any suggestions for the kind of time required to use Miquon, as a supplement to other math programs? I need to decide whether to do it full time for a couple months, then to transition to grade-level Saxon... or to do a 'Lesson/Lab' sequence for say 20 minutes at the beginning of dd10's Math hour. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What about just getting the C-rods and playing around with them and doing some of the stuff from Rosie's videos at Education Unboxed?

:iagree:

Here's a direct link to Rosies website.

I'm using C-rods/Miquon/Mathematics Made Meaningful/Rosie's videos remedially this year with my older dc who really struggle with math. If you would like, pm me and maybe we can toss around some ideas and be Miquon buddies. ;)