Menu

TMI*FEMALE CONTENT*Let's talk about menstrual products

Okay, I missed getting a Lunette on baby half off yesterday.

I'm looking for a new cup.

If you use one, which one do you like?

I use a lady up but I need to get a size 2 as it is a size 1.

I tried a Diva size 1 and it was just too long for me.

My cervix sits really low during that time.

So which one would you suggest?

I'm also trying out mama cloth again.

I ordered a few from mother moon pads yesterday.

Do you have any favorites?

It's hot here so bamboo velour would be best I'm told.

I also don't like anything super thick. I used always infinity before.

So help me out ladies! Don't be shy!:001_smile:

I never did cut the stem off. The actual cup part is what bothered me. The lady cup was a much better fit.

I need a new one regardless, so I was trying to see if there were any awesome ones I was missing. Lol!

I'll probably end up with a size 2 lady cup, but it never hurts to look around. :)

During the first few days of my cycle, I'm super heavy and feel better with back up-especially during the few our hours I'm at work. Plus, I'm really sensitive and would like to be able to take it out while at home. :)

I love my Diva. Did you cut the stem all the way off?

If I'm eating correctly, I don't need anything other than my Diva, so I'm no help with the mama pads. I was always so overwhelmed by mama pad shopping though! I hope someone has good advice there.

I'm interested in what you mean by eating properly. Just healthy or Avoiding certain things around that time??

I'm interested in what you mean by eating properly. Just healthy or Avoiding certain things around that time??

Sorry, I should have said correctly for me. I'm gluten sensitive, so when I started going gluten free, I found that my cycle changed a lot. I was having terrible cramps mid-period (really bad, especially with the cup in), my period was very heavy, I was seeing a lot of clots (:( sorry, maybe TMI), it was lasting 7-8 days, etc. But when I cut back heavily on gluten, that all changed. Now I don't even need a backup pad, my period only lasts a few days, cramps are very minimal and at the beginning. On months where I do badly with what I eat, I can see the results in the following cycles.

I'm not positive whether it's gluten or carbs that make the difference, because when I cut back on gluten, I cut back on carbs in general. But whatever it was, it was a heck of a relief! I suspect it has something to do with carbs promoting more estrogen creation or something, but I haven't researched it very well. If someone else knows the answer, I'd love to know!

Sorry, I should have said correctly for me. I'm gluten sensitive, so when I started going gluten free, I found that my cycle changed a lot. I was having terrible cramps mid-period (really bad, especially with the cup in), my period was very heavy, I was seeing a lot of clots (:( sorry, maybe TMI), it was lasting 7-8 days, etc. But when I cut back heavily on gluten, that all changed. Now I don't even need a backup pad, my period only lasts a few days, cramps are very minimal and at the beginning. On months where I do badly with what I eat, I can see the results in the following cycles.

I'm not positive whether it's gluten or carbs that make the difference, because when I cut back on gluten, I cut back on carbs in general. But whatever it was, it was a heck of a relief! I suspect it has something to do with carbs promoting more estrogen creation or something, but I haven't researched it very well. If someone else knows the answer, I'd love to know!

I have a possible gluten allergy. Extreme eczema at times and the doctors can't figure out why it's so bad. My whole ody looked like it had been burned last year even though I was taking 6 antihistamines and using rx creams.

I guess I should get up the courage to try gluten free. It's such a commitment and I'm scared of giving up food. :001_huh:

I'm 40 and have been using the same cloth pads for the past 13 years. They are wearing out though so now I need some new ones. But I don't know how long I'm going to need them for and I'm sentimentally attached to my flannel ones. :(

I can understand that. I do think that some people still make them with flannel though. :)

Gem cloth is supposed to be pretty inexpensive and I think she still uses flannel.

I like my homestead emporium pads, they are very thin (though I get the longer ones cause I like the security). I have a diva size 2 and a fleurcup size 2 (or whatever size it is for after you've had babies). The fleurcup isn't working as well for me right now. I really like the diva flipped inside out, it works better for me that way and I think it makes it a little shorter too (and I'm sure you could do it with whatever cup).

I have a Diva Cup size 1 and 2. Size 1 fits better for me.

You could try the cup again but try a different fold to get it in, that may help with comfort, etc. Google Diva Cup folds.

for pads, I have sets from http://www.newmoonpads.com/home.html

Shes in Canada, but shipping isnt terrible and shes AWESOME to work with. I love that you can get sets and she has cute fabrics.

I like my homestead emporium pads, they are very thin (though I get the longer ones cause I like the security). I have a diva size 2 and a fleurcup size 2 (or whatever size it is for after you've had babies). The fleurcup isn't working as well for me right now. I really like the diva flipped inside out, it works better for me that way and I think it makes it a little shorter too (and I'm sure you could do it with whatever cup).

I was looking at those too. I think some of those would be great for overnight.

I may order a couple to try.

I hated everything about the Diva (other than being reusable). Everything. Too long, even trimmed, crazy "power cup-yoga" trying to use it, IT FLIPPED OVER ON ME ONCE...

I went with Sea Pearls sponges. They work great. Bonus: I can keep a dampened spare in a baggie when we're out somewhere without full service facilities for an extended period (think corn maze, nearest restroom 20 minutes away, just portajohns on site).

For backup, I don't really have much of a preference in cloth; everything I've tried has worked fine. I do need to add to the collection, but I have patterns bookmarked somewhere and enough diaper stash fabric to just make some.

I use Meluna cups. http://meluna.eu/ They offer a variety of stem styles as well as differing softness in cup styles. I have a soft medium cup with stem for light flow days, and a large classic ring style cup for heavy flow. I was finding the soft version a bit more difficult to pop open during my heavy flow, which is why I opted for the firmer version in the larger size.. As to the handle style, I don't really have a preference there, I just wanted to try the different styles. If stems or rings bother you, they offer a ball style and stemless as well. Side note: I know I don't post much and this may look suspiciously like shilling - I'm not affiliated with Meluna AT ALL, just a very happy customer! :001_smile:

Now, while Meluna ships from Germany and that can get a bit more expensive with exchange rates and shipping to the US - not sure where you're at, they have been very good about sending along an additional cup or two in a different style or firm/softness as samples. The sample will have slight defects, maybe a blip in the color or something minor, but the ones I've received have been perfectly usable. As for expense, I paid about $26 total for my large one a year ago, which isn't terrible considering a cup can last quite a few years if treated properly.

I definitely recommend doing some research on all the different offerings out there. The livejournal site http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com has a wealth of information with a well organized FAQ section, and I found http://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/2010/08/19/cup-size-comparison-charts/ to be very helpful in figuring out what would work/fit with me best. I lucked out and found something I was happy with right away, aside from learning the hard way I needed more capacity for heavy flow days. :D But researching and figuring out your.. er.. dimensions.. will really help! Best of luck to you!

Edited by nomfaux

I loved my Diva cup. Did NOT love it when I pulled it out in the restroom at the water park. It was full and my fingers were all wrinkly from the pool and I DROPPED it. It bounced into another stall. The lady screamed really loud. I had to retrieve it with my foot. Looked like someone had been shot. Blood everywhere. So, so, so embarrassing. Oy.

That said, I love Amaz Padz for mama cloth. http://hyenacart.com/stores/AmazPadz/

She has bamboo velour!

I loved my Diva cup. Did NOT love it when I pulled it out in the restroom at the water park. It was full and my fingers were all wrinkly from the pool and I DROPPED it. It bounced into another stall. The lady screamed really loud. I had to retrieve it with my foot. Looked like someone had been shot. Blood everywhere. So, so, so embarrassing. Oy.

That said, I love Amaz Padz for mama cloth. http://hyenacart.com/stores/AmazPadz/

She has bamboo velour!

Oh my goodness! You poor thing. That must have been horrific for you. And probably a little strange for the person beside you. :lol:

She has bamboo velour!

Im sorry i had to LOL at this. I could see this happening.

She has bamboo velour!

:lol: I should apologize for laughing but, really, if it had been me, I would have been LMAO before the scream died down.

I had a different menstrual cup years ago (not Diva and I can't think of the name right now), but I could always feel it. I ordered a Lunette after doing some research because it was smaller, and I do have a tilted cervix (can't remember the correct name for that either!). It works great and I don't feel it at all.