Menu

How does this sound for a reluctant 9th grader?

Wondering whether anyone thinks this will be too much. I know the 9th grader in question will think it is too much, so I want support (or correction if it really IS too much.)

English

A unit on study skills using CLPs How to Study (hopefully about 2-3 weeks). He really needs this.

A unit on short stories using Scholastics Teaching Literary Units with Short Stories adapted for single student use (about 6 weeks)

A unit on poetry using A Child's Introduction to Poetry, various of Scholastic's Poetry for Young People Books (right now I have Edward Lear, Emily Dickinson, William Shakespeare, Rudyard Kipling, Fobert Frost, and American Poems. I hope to get a few more.) (about 3 weeks)

For the rest of the year, we will use Stobaugh's Skills for Literary Analysis and just get as far as we can.

He also has a reading list of books selected mostly from Sonlight 200 with a few I thought he would enjoy or should read. He is expected to read 2 books per month, but he rarely makes it.

Math

Chicago Math's Geometry. We started Chicago Math's Algebra this year then switched to ALEKS. I regret that switch and want to go back to Chicago for Geometry.

Science

I am really bad at science, so I am trying to find a tutor or co-op class for this.

Social Studies

Around the World in 180 Days.

Read-alouds--historical fiction covering the early modern period and maybe some covering the continents we are studying in Around the World.

(We continue to do read-alouds at this level because it's the only part of school he really likes.)

Language

Getting Started with Latin

Logic

I will require him to take Logic at our co-op. They offer either Beginning Logic, which uses The Fallacy Detective, or Intermediate Logic, which uses Wilson and Nance's Introductory Logic. He can choose either one. If he takes beginning, he will have to take intermediate next year.

PE

I will have him keep a log of physical activity and require at least 2 hours per week. He may play soccer in the fall. He has always played before, but it gets more serious in high school and he didn't really want to play last year but I made him, so I will give him a choice this year.

English

spelling---Sequential Spelling

copywork---Light Home Publ.

writing / grammar---Trisms HM, including IEW

literature---Trisms HM

speech---ToastMasters course

Math

MUS---Epsilon / Zeta

Science

Apologia's General Science

Latin

Latin Prep 1

History

Trisms History Makers

Electives

Sea Scouts

Gymnastics (compete at level 6 + coaching fun gym class)

Drums (Pipe Band & Drum Line)

Karate

sailing

has paper run

Most of the above we have been using since our school year began in February, but Trisms & Karate will be new to us as we begin the second half of our year. ToastMasters will be a one term extra class with a couple of other HS/ing families. Ds is NOT excited about that class. Finding a balance between schoolwork & activities is a challenge as his activities are more relevant to his goal of enlisting in the Navy (in his eyes ;) ).

Blessings,

What we are doing for our 9th grader:

-Government (we like to include the govt for the year of the election it makes the process come to life at least that is what I was told:001_huh:)

-Saxon Alg. 1/2 (math is not our thing)

-Abeka Biology(co-op class) she is doing TOPS along with her younger brother and wants to do a science fair project but she hate science :D

-Language Arts- which we use Easy Grammar/ Daily grams, Vocabulary Vine and Write your Own Roots

-Geography- Trail Guide to World Geography and TOG geography

-History- Tapestry of Grace lite include literature but lite also (we only do 2-3 novels per unit)

That is our schedule, she will also be taking Debate and Psychology at co-op.

hth

lori in tx

Here's ours:

Language Arts:

LLATL American Literature course

Writing Strands 5

Math

Finishing up TT Algebra 1 (we're a little over 1/2 done)

TT Geometry

Government:

God and Government 1, 2, and 3

Election Lapbook

Study of the Constitution and other founding documents

Science:

Apologia Chemistry after we are done with Algebra, until then, she is just working with my other 2 on CKE Chemistry for the basics.

History:

Beautiful Feet Guide to American History--Jr. High

We are also doing some Art/Music appreciation, reading some Shakespeare, and she will be continuing her Spanish school. She will finish all her High school credits this year.

unit on short stories using ....A unit on poetry using A Child's Introduction to Poetry, various of.....For the rest of the year, we will use Stobaugh's Skills for Literary Analysis

I've had a few reluctant male 9th graders and have discovered that if you don't shake 'em up a bit (read, scare them) they stay reluctant. If your ds just came home from school last year and is just burned out, ignore what I'm going to say otherwise I hope you'll think about it.

Most of his schedule is comfortable and won't overwhelm him. You really don't want to make him too comfortable or he'll get in the habit of not expecting much of himself. It's good to have one rigorous class in there, so I would suggest a program that includes lesson plans and tests. Seton's English 9 will cover much of what you are looking for and their World Literature, which is really for 10th, covers everything and it's not necessarily harder than English 9. There are online tests and about 6 papers of varying lengths that are uploaded and graded by the school. A single subject course is only $165 and that includes lesson plans, grading, tests and all books.

If that doesn't sound doable, I would encourage you to look into at least one online course through Potters or some other similar program. He's not suddenly going to become unreluctant, at least most of the ones that I have know don't change unless they are shaken up a little bit.

I second the last post. A reluctant student sometimes needs to be accountable to someone else. I choose German Online for my ninth grader

cause he definately needs a class that he's accountable to someone besides me. There's is also a traditional logic course that'd be good.

What are you doing for writing?

You really don't want to make him too comfortable or he'll get in the habit of not expecting much of himself.

I think this is true. My son, before the VA, thought he was stupid, incapable.... I had made everything so easy for him because of this and that that I gave him the wrong impression. Though he's still not quite an average student, he now feels capable and smart and IS working at grade level for the most part.

It is important for me to look into options to educate him appropriately for high school recognizing not only his limitations, but ESPECIALLY that he IS capable and bright in his own ways. I need to be careful not to fall back into giving him the wrong impression of his abilities, even himself. At the same time, I need to be reasonable.

It's a fine line to walk....

I'd be interested to hear what lit you have selected for Early Mod., if you don't mind.

Here's my list. It begins in the late Middle Ages and continues until the American Civil War. It is turning out to be a 2 1/2 year list. We keep finding more good books to add to the list. Most of the books are out of print. We use a lot of interllibrary loan, and bought some used. ABEbooks.com is a great source for used books.

1. Brave Men to the Battle by Virgil E. Robinson (this is the story of the very first Protestant denomination, the Waldensian church, formed in the 12th century. Very cool.)

2. The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow by Allen French

3. A Glorious Age in Africa by Daniel Chu and Elliot P. Skinner

4. That Men Shall be Free: the Story of the Magna Charta by Clifford Lindsey Alderman

5. Marco Polo by Manuel Komroff

6. Ink on His Fingers by Louise A. Vernon (a novel about Johannes Gutenberg)

7. Martin Luther by May Yonge McNeer

8. Diego Columbus: Adventures on the High Seas by Marni McGee

9. The Light and the Glory by Peter Marshall and David Manuel (the full adult version)

10. James Printer by Paul Samuel Jacobs (a novel about King Philip's War in colonial Massachusetts)

11. Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

12. The Story of the World, Volume 3 by Susan Wise Bauer (these 1st 12 we finished last year)

13. Lysbeth by H. Ryder Haggard (this has been reprinted by Christian Liberty Press)

14. The Beggar's Penny by Catherine Cate Coblentz (how the town of Leyden held out in a long siege by the Spanish. Of especial interest to us, since we're Dutch)

15. The Bells of Leyden by Catherine Cate Coblentz (about the Pilgrims in Holland before they went to America)

16. Crown of Fire by Craig and Janet Parshall (about John Knox)

17. Lion of the North by G.A. Henty (30 Years' War)

18. Won by the Sword by G.A. Henty (30 Years' War)

19. The Escape by A. Van Der Jagt (Huguenot persecutions in France)

20. The Curse of a Winter's Moon by Mary Casanova (Huguenot persecutions in France) (These 8 we finished this year. The rest of the list we will finish next year. Unless we find more books to add.)

21. Robinson Crusoe

22. Pilgrim's Progress

23. A Tale of Two Cities

24. In Search of Honor by Donna Lynn Hess (French Revolution)

25. Pride and Prejudice

26. Jane Eyre

27. David Copperfield

28. Uncle Tom's Cabin