Menu

Math Help ? Again....

I'm back asking about Math for rising Sr. ds17. Ds is done with LoF Alg II, working with a tutor and enjoying it. His tutor has suggested he go with a different program, LoF has been fine to date, but she is having to add too much to it. She thinks he is a bright math kid and could go for engineering if he wanted (she's an engineer, so I think she's partial ;)).

So, I checked out AoPs and emailed Mr. R who said ds is unusual for the kind of kids take refuge with AoPs but if math used to be his fav subject in eled it might be a good fit.

Math was ds's LOVE till Saxon Alg I. then the house fire /funeral season hit and it was rough going and this year is the first year in 3 that he's really o.k. with math again.

He's a bright kid and wants to continue with math. He LOVES science and might do a science major, but not math.

ANY thoughts? What to do....MUS, TT, AoPs???

I'm back asking about Math for rising Sr. ds17. Ds is done with LoF Alg II, working with a tutor and enjoying it. His tutor has suggested he go with a different program, LoF has been fine to date, but she is having to add too much to it. She thinks he is a bright math kid and could go for engineering if he wanted (she's an engineer, so I think she's partial ;)).

So, I checked out AoPs and emailed Mr. R who said ds is unusual for the kind of kids take refuge with AoPs but if math used to be his fav subject in eled it might be a good fit.

Math was ds's LOVE till Saxon Alg I. then the house fire /funeral season hit and it was rough going and this year is the first year in 3 that he's really o.k. with math again.

He's a bright kid and wants to continue with math. He LOVES science and might do a science major, but not math.

ANY thoughts? What to do....MUS, TT, AoPs???

Since your ds is a rising sr, I personally would not recommend AoPS at this pt. I think your ds would probably be better served by a high quality applied math text vs. a more theoretical text as his last high school math step at the pre-cal level. I am an AoPS fan, but jumping into it at the pre-cal level as a sr w/a student more bent on a science field vs. math major does not seem like the best choice for the student.

I would suggest a text like Foersters, Larson, or Stewart. All 3 are solid texts taught in the more traditional manner that he will step into in cal at the university level. Foerster writes high school texts, and while I am not absolutely positive, I do not believe he has texts beyond cal and I have never heard or seen his texts in a university bookstore. (when we visit college campuses, I always walk through the bookstore and look at what texts are being used for various subjects.) Larson and Stewart both have texts that I have seen used for beyond cal 1. (Our oldest ds took part of his cal sequence for his engineering degree at a local university during high school and the rest at the uni he attended to earn his degree. He used one at one uni and one at the other. He used Foerster at home w/me. He had no problems at all shifting between the 3 texts' approaches.)

If you will be continuing with your tutor, I would ask her if she is familiar w/a certain text for cal up and maybe make your selection based on that.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I don't know his plans after graduation, but if you have a cc nearby, I'd be looking for math placement there. I can't imagine the cost would be more than a tutor, and math tutoring is free to cc students. The math would move more quickly, so he should be able to complete through pre-calculus (whatever that is called in college) before graduating. That would place him nicely in math should he decide he's interested in further work in any STEM fields.

I don't know his plans after graduation' date=' but if you have a cc nearby, I'd be looking for math placement there. I can't imagine the cost would be more than a tutor, and math tutoring is free to cc students. The math would move more quickly, so he should be able to complete through pre-calculus (whatever that is called in college) before graduating. That would place him nicely in math should he decide he's interested in further work in any STEM fields.[/quote']

Good idea, though we live way out of town. The drive/car sharing gets to be problematic.