Menu

Math: Horizons 6 to what...MUS?

MerryAtHope

Are there other Horizons math users here? We really like it but are wondering what we'll do after level 6. I'm thinking about using Math-U-See next, has anyone switched from H6 to MUS? I'm curious where kids generally might place (I will use the placement tests but the planner in me wants to know about where they'll land--what the content in Horizons might prepare them for in MUS).

If you don't go on to MUS, what have you used next? I appreciate any help, thanks!

Merry :-)

Hi Merry!

I have not used Horizons myself, but I am wondering why you are thinking of going to MUS? It is awfully different from Horizons.

Have you thought about Teaching Textbooks or BJU? I personally like BJU's Math myself, but it is pretty teacher intensive where TT wouldn't be.

I am not a big MUS fan I'm afraid [used it, didn't like it] so someone else will have to help you with that. ;)

I like the early yrs of MUS, but I really dislike their Algebra 1. They use incorrect Math notation or not standard math notation. I really think that you should move on to something similar to Horizons. I would think that Teaching Textbooks like the pp said or Saxon might work for you. I really like the BJU upper level math too, but it can be difficult to teach without the DVD if you are not strong in math. VideoText Algebra looks good to me too, but I haven't used it.

Hi Merry!

I have not used Horizons myself, but I am wondering why you are thinking of going to MUS? It is awfully different from Horizons.

Have you thought about Teaching Textbooks or BJU? I personally like BJU's Math myself, but it is pretty teacher intensive where TT wouldn't be.

I am not a big MUS fan I'm afraid [used it, didn't like it] so someone else will have to help you with that. ;)

Horizons only goes up to level 6--there are no levels past that one.

TT is on my list to look at but at nearly $200 a year, ouch.

I like the early yrs of MUS, but I really dislike their Algebra 1. They use incorrect Math notation or not standard math notation. I really think that you should move on to something similar to Horizons. I would think that Teaching Textbooks like the pp said or Saxon might work for you. I really like the BJU upper level math too, but it can be difficult to teach without the DVD if you are not strong in math. VideoText Algebra looks good to me too, but I haven't used it.

Really, I wonder why? Which notations are incorrect/not standard, I'd love to ask them & see what they say. I really like the visuals from the demos.

I've been curious about Saxon since it was revised, was the geometry split out into a separate course? I'll be interested in what people say about that over the next year or two. My son is going into Horizons 5, I'm just a neurotic planner & like to know what direction I'm headed, I don't have to decide today. But I do like plenty of time to investigate.

Videotext looks awesome from the demo I've seen but I'm not sure I could ever afford that.

I've not looked at the upper BJU, the lower my son didn't like the samples & the Teacher's Guide seemed difficult to wade through to find what I'd like to find.

Jacobs has always sounded interesting to me but I don't know of a placement test.

We notation I'm talking about is that once you are in Algebra you quit using the x for multiplication and start using the little dot instead to avoid confusion of having x variables and x multiplication symbols. In MUS they keep the x symbol and they use a capital X for the variable. I've never seen anyone do that. I didn't finish the book it wasn't working for my student and I found that notation to be extremely annoying. I don't know if they eventually drop it at some point or if there are any more strange notation. I really feel the student should have quit using an x for multiplication at that point.

We notation I'm talking about is that once you are in Algebra you quit using the x for multiplication and start using the little dot instead to avoid confusion of having x variables and x multiplication symbols. In MUS they keep the x symbol and they use a capital X for the variable. I've never seen anyone do that. I didn't finish the book it wasn't working for my student and I found that notation to be extremely annoying. I don't know if they eventually drop it at some point or if there are any more strange notation. I really feel the student should have quit using an x for multiplication at that point.

Thanks. How long ago was that, I wonder if that has changed? I saw a dot used on the pre-alg. placement test, instead of an x for multiplication.

dd requested a computer or video based program. I got the first 3 modules off ebay for slightly over half price. We haven't started our next school year, but dd started watching the dvd with me as I was inspecting the materials and said "this is really easy to understand. This is what I need."

If you have a vcr there are people selling the VHS version for cheaper than the dvd version.

Hi Merry,

I use Horizons for K-6. 4 of my kids have completely finished the series. I know exactly how you feel. I felt that way with my oldest.

I now use MUS algebra/geometry combo book (classical edition) and complete the entire book in 1 yr. Then the following yr they do Foerster alg 1, followed by either Jacobs or Chalkdust geometry, followed by Foerster alg 2. After that is either Chalkdust pre-cal or dual enrollment....depends on the child and their age.

I do not recommend either TT or MUS for high school level math. Both are independent homeschool-oriented programs that have not had to meet state review board standards. There is absolutely no comparison between MUS alg and geo and standardized textbooks. My kids breeze through MUS and really have to buckle down in Foerster. However, my kids are not ready for Foerster after Horizons 6.