Menu

S/o packing lunches: Bento boxes part 47

I know we've discussed them before, but now I'm looking again. I looked at Amazon, but would like some other options. I'd like something that would be appealing to teens or adults, something more Japanese looking, and maybe around 30.00 or so.

Also are there some good ideas of what to put in them? Websites maybe?

I've looked at the Laptop Lunches, but I think they're too young looking for ds. I want something that he could take into his adult life if necessary.

I was looking at my containers the other day, I have some good quality Rubbermaid I bought years ago. One has our name written in it. We haven't needed that since ds was in private school in prek and K. He's now starting high school!

If there's a World Market/Cost Plus near you, we picked these up there for $5:

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/green-bento-lunch-box.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

They also had one in blue.

The picture doesn't show it, but the bottom portion is one large compartment and the upper one is divided, with the divider sectioning off about a third of the area. It comes with chopsticks and a spoon.

As far as ideas to put in them, Pinterest has boatloads. You could just search the site, find boards you like, and follow them.

I just google phrases that pop into my head (eg, totoro bento), follow the rabbit trails presented by the search, and fling them onto a Pinterest board. I have a few books, but the Internet is more inspiring.

Another inspiration is the frozen food aisle at Trader Joe's. One of our standard bentos is their orange chicken, which is put in a box with rice, red peppers, green onions, and some fruit (I'm usually preparing 2 or 3 bentos at a time, so fixing the entire package works well). They have other frozen entrees that work well, too, although you might choose to put them with something like mini corn muffins instead of rice.

I've used more expensive systems in the past, but I really like "Easy Lunchboxes". They're easy to wash, and I don't have to mess with a bunch of little pieces like the Laptop Lunches.

http://http://www.amazon.com/EasyLunchboxes-3-compartment-Containers-insulated-non-vinyl/dp/B00547YYWO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1345010811&sr=8-11&keywords=Easy+Lunch+boxes

My ds is at a movie with friends, or I would've asked him (although I know he doesn't have a bento for his lunch). I like this one. It is handwash and not microwavable which is fine, neither my ds nor any of his friends in Japan has a microwave or a dishwasher so I think this is more authentic than the ones that are. It also has a Bento strap instead of snapping. I've ordered other things from this company and all of the things we've ordered so far are made in Japan not China.