Menu

Math Curriculum Advice - Just starting to hs a 6th & 3rd grader

Hannahbea

Hi! Our family is just beginning homeschooling, and I have been researching math curriculum. Both boys began their education in a classical Christian school and have done well in math.

What math curriculum would you recommend for a 3rd and 6th grader? I have looked at Singapore, Math Mammoth and Saxon. I can't spend a fortune, but do want a rigorous program.

One consideration is that the 6th grader is starting a hs curriculum so late in the game, and I want to set him up well for success in the higher grades. I know many curriculums end or transition after 6th grade.

Any and all input so appreciated!!! :)

Hannah

When I began homeschooling my older girls in 4th/2nd grades I used the same curriculum they used in their private school. It took me some time to gain the confidence to try another program, even though the first one I chose wasn't a good fit.

I eventually landed with Math Mammoth for elementary math and couldn't be happier. The teaching is very strong conceptually and is mastery-based (not spiral). There seems to be just about the right amount of practice to 'get' each concept. It has been good preparation for them to move into Pre-Algebra and then Algebra. I would recommend taking the placement tests and beginning with a level that will include some review/be somewhat easy for your students. That is a great way to build confidence and ensure they have a solid foundation. We've been able to do more than one grade level per year, so don't worry about starting 'below' grade level if that is the right place. I can't really recommend a follow-up curriculum to Pre-Algebra and beyond, as we have out-sourced math to Live Online Math after MM 6.

MM can be very affordable. I prefer to buy printed books, rather than printing myself, but it is still economical, considering that one only need to purchase the worktexts (2), test booklet, and answer key for each grade level. During a recent Rainbow Resource sale, I think I purchased a whole grade level for around $50. Obviously, you can spend much less initially, if you're willing to print at home as you go.

Check out various samples on line to see what 'speaks' to you. Math is very much like dating - you have to take a little time to figure out what you're looking for and what works for you; there is definitely no one-size-fits all solution.

Good luck!

I am math phobic, and my kids are math phobic. I agonized over my math curric when we started to hs my DD6 and DS8. I chose Saxon. It is one of my best hs decisions since starting this adventure. A hs mentor gave me this advice knowing I was agonizing over my choice: choose a curric that is easy for YOU to teach and follow through. Wise counsel. Saxon k-3 is pre-planned and my daughter is tracking wonderfully. My son now 6/5 is breezing along about 90% independently (with the Teacher CDs). Saxon turned my children from run-and-hide math students into confident math students.

About price....Saxon can be a little pricey. But it's worth it. YOu can buy re-sale easily since it's such a popular choice.

Im new to this too. I was 6th and 3rd for our first year last year as well. ( I was so new the only thing my girls did last year were spectrum books and some group study subjects I threw together.) This year for math I chose Saxon. I bought the sets cheap used and now that I have them Im thrilled that I picked it. My "I hate math" girls also seem more excited about saxon.

I've been homeschooling for 8 years.

I started out with Saxon -- my girls *LOVED* it and did very well. Then, one year, when I went to have my portfolio review done, the teacher suggested I try something different; something more "visual". (Math-U-See)

We used that for a few years and now we are back with Saxon. It is a very thorough program -- tried and true.