Menu

Move or not?

I posted some time ago about my dh's interview for a job in Raleigh, NC. He got the job offer and now we have to decide what to do. The pay is $2000 less/year than it is here but the benefits are much better (vacation/sick hours, retirement, etc.). Health insurance seems to be comparable however we do not know if premiums are going up as rapidly as we've experienced here the last few years (up to $250/month increases!). The cost of living is supposed to be lower than here. The cap on his salary would be higher there than here (although with the consistent decrease in salary every year we can't see him ever reaching the cap here).

We're just about to sign refinance papers and the call we've been waiting for since February finally comes. :glare:

I really wish the offer had come in 10K lower than what he is making here or 10K higher so it would have been an absolute yes/no situation.

Insights? Advice?

Make a list of pros and cons.

Cost of Living lower there, $2000 less - does this translate that you will be breaking even or perhaps even have more net money if housing & food is less?

Do you like the area well enough, not at all or are you over the moon at the thought of living there?

Is this offer a long-term offer (as long-term as anything is these days)?

Distance to family - if that is important to you? Closer? Farther away?

ETC, ETC...

I hate decisions like this but the list always helps me.

We could meet in Richmond! :D

Sounds like it might be slightly better financially in NC. Are any moving expenses paid for? Moving was expensive...even though the company paid for a lot and we only had ~1/2 the people.

What about college (something up & coming on my mind)? How are the CC/State U costs different from AZ?

Do you currently have any in braces? Transferring was a huge expense...basically paid twice+ for oldest dd.

How is the homeschool law? I'm actually pleased w/ VA -- even though we have to test yearly ($$$).

We could meet in Richmond! :D

For me, it would depend on the Homeschool Law.

That is always the first thing we check! NC is, from what we found, very hs friendly. No way could I move somewhere strict after living in AZ.

Does your DH think this is a better career move long term?

He's not sure, actually. His main focus is finances and he believes staying in AZ is a losing situation. However, he started working here when he was only 23 so he has a lot of years in the retirement system (which may not be there eventually if the politicians have their way...).

Cost of Living lower there, $2000 less - does this translate that you will be breaking even or perhaps even have more net money if housing & food is less?

Do you like the area well enough, not at all or are you over the moon at the thought of living there?

Is this offer a long-term offer (as long-term as anything is these days)?

Distance to family - if that is important to you? Closer? Farther away?

Probably break even for now yet may have a chance to earn more than here if his pay actually goes up rather than down year after year. Intrigued/excited at opportunity to live in NC and be back East after living out here all our lives. Offer is long-term (I hope!). Family is not a factor as far as distance. If anything we'd probably see some family more as they would prefer to visit NC rather than hot/ugly/dry AZ (at least it's that way where we live, lol). One reason we've liked being here is because it keeps family from being here too often. ;)

Are any moving expenses paid for?
Nope.

What about college (something up & coming on my mind)? How are the CC/State U costs different from AZ?

Not sure but we're not footing the college bill so I had not thought of that as a factor. :) One thing we do like is the availability of higher education options that might keep our dc closer to us than if we stay here with its limited opportunities.

Do you currently have any in braces? Transferring was a huge expense...basically paid twice+ for oldest dd.

Two are done, one is almost done, then it will be another two years before we start up again (we delay getting braces until our dc are 14yo). We're definitely keeping our orthodontist in business! :D

We could meet in Richmond!
I miss you, friend. :)

I grew up in NC, so I am very familiar with the area. We moved from the Durham/Chapel Hill area for a new job because we had to due to IT downsizing in RTP, but we would move back in a heartbeat.

NC is very HS-friendly. Laws are easy to comply with, and there are many friendly HS families there. Unless things have changed, you only have to test once per year (which you can administer), keep attendance, and send these records in annually. All you have to do is show progress. You do not have to keep a portfolio or have a portfolio review. Hopefully Renee in FL will chime in.

The Raleigh/Durham area offers a wide variety of options for affordable housing. You can get a home with some land in Hillsborough or Fuquay Varina.

The science museum in Durham is very nice. We had an annual membership.

We loved attending the symphony in Raleigh. They had a great children's series we took the kids to. DH and I also had date nights there.

The Raleigh/Durham area is centrally located, making it only a few hours to get to the coast (Wilmington) and the mountains (Boone, Blowing Rock).

And, possibly most important of all, they have Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market! ;)

Pointers to consider:

Does it matter if you are close/far from extended family?

Weather - do you mind the southern climate?

Did your dh "like" the people with whom he interviewed?

Is there room for promotions up or lateral?

How often would you return to visit friends/family - time off, cost, etc.

Hope some/all of these help to clarify.

We live in Charlotte.

My dh and I did not have a choice. He has a professional occupation, but was let go with alot of other people. This was our only choice and it's turned out to be very nice.

I'm not a fan of the heat, but have adapted.

I don't get back to Ohio/Mich as often as I'd like

Love the mountains and enjoy the beach

Huge homeschool community

Sheryl

I am biased. I'm from NC and moved to the Mid-West a little over a year ago. I'd move back in a heart beat. That said, my family is all in NC and I wish I were a little closer to them. Raleigh offers lots of things to do and for the most part people are friendly. Cost of living in NC is better than many places across the country. Raleigh is close to the mountains and not too far from the beach. Both of which I miss lots.

Good luck making your decision!:001_smile: